Team Integra Forums banner

561 - 580 of 6485 Posts

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #562
the gaps are more a result of "what i had on hand".... as the widest part of both panels is 24", which is what I had for wood...

once it's complete, I can slip stuff in there like a quart of oil, folder up rags, etc

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #564
yeah, i may have got a little aggressive trimming those

The carpet will for sure "hide" that though.....

I'm dying to finish this stuff up, i may attack it tonight if i can manage to get an hour or so of sunlight to work with..... all depends on how my work stuff for the day looks

·
Registered
749 Posts
The box looks great. I've been wanting to do something like that to my car but I just can't get myself to not carry a spare tire. The car looks good. I'm not really digging the CF hood though, maybe it's cuz everyone and there mother has one now but all to his own.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #566
When I travel distances longer than an hour away, I put a spare in there on top of this stuff (hence my earlier comment about using carpet instead of vinyl because it handles the abuse better)

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
MorningZ on Feb/14/10 said:
Water damage absolutely destroyed my birchwood speaker mounts, the speakers are gone as well thanks to the humidity

My speaker rings look just like this. They were previously made out of MDF.

I contacted Elemental Designs about getting some of their customer speaker rings, and apparently they're made out of EFS, which does not absorb moisture like other kinds of wood. They said they've soaked their rings in water for 24 hours with no expansion/warping.

Food for thought in case you're looking for more mounting depth in the future.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #568
I used the rings that came with my new speakers...they are plastic, so they'll take the beating

if i needed to use something else, i was thinking that a piece of Formica, like what's used for a cutting board, would work nicely

·
Super Moderator
9,597 Posts
MorningZ on Feb/16/10 said:
When I travel distances longer than an hour away, I put a spare in there on top of this stuff (hence my earlier comment about using carpet instead of vinyl because it handles the abuse better)

you honestly just inspired a really awesome idea. i have this tie-down system and i've been debating putting a sub in a box like this (getting new amps cause mine are fried) but now, i can use these:

Quote: tlangy on Oct/17/09

to tie down a spare on top of a sub box with carpet and a screen for road trips! holy strawberries batman that got me out of a jam! inspiration from t-i ftw!

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #570
So stopped working at like 4 today and spent what sunlight was left today....

So cut out the access door

I bought some hinges thinking that was the way to go

Changed my mind and instead used the magnets that are used for things like cabinets (i had split the mounts as you can see, i ended up re-cutting and re-doing them

Here's the door'd panel in place... you can see that the purposefull gap on the edge will let me keep oil or a gallon container of antifreeze

And as i planned, i could fix the OEM jack and other stuff in there

I did get this panel all carpeted up, but unfortunately by the time I finished it was too dark for a picture, i'll snap one in the morning when I get started to finish the driver side

·
Registered
12,488 Posts
stealthpenguin on Feb/26/10 said:
What's the point of storing the OEM jack is there's no room for the spare tire?

He just mentioned on this very page that he carries his spare with him when he travels somewhat far away ...........

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
GSRevs on Feb/26/10 said:
Quote: stealthpenguin on Feb/26/10What's the point of storing the OEM jack is there's no room for the spare tire?

He just mentioned on this very page that he carries his spare with him when he travels somewhat far away ...........
Right, so he could simply carry the jack along as well? I just didn't understand why it's worth all the trouble of making a dedicated compartment, that's all.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
used mdf, that great stuff spray to seal it, dynamat on the outside, that poly fill. approx 1.75 cubic ft in the box when it was all done. plus if you have AAA they'll bring you a donut so idc about the tire haha

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #578
There's been a few times where I needed the jack and didn't have a flat

I'm not sure why theres 4-5 replies on that, I'm not saying anyone else needs to

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
That's a really nice set up. I was thinking about doing something like that. And that is a huge woofer! I don't think you'll be lacking in bass. Can't wait to see the end result!

561 - 580 of 6485 Posts