Team Integra Forums banner

5521 - 5540 of 6485 Posts

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,522
Doesn't hurt to ask... BTW, any chance you'll be up for formula-e in Miami?
Travel will be limited this year... don't think I'd be able to swing it

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,523 (Edited)
So was all excited two nights ago to possibly turn the car over and set in the rings and actually *DRIVE* my freaking car, but I noticed that the coolant line running into the heater core outlet on the firewall was seeping coolant after i filled up the system.

I'm in day two of trying to fix that, looks like for now I'll just take both those hoses and bypass the ****ing thing.... so frustrating

this pic is AFTER night # 1 of messing with it... i've since tried a little bit longer hose to take some stress off it, plus also tried a stronger/better clamp.... still dripping

Attachments

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
OEM hose or bust.

Lots of these heater core and IM hoses are formed to a specific shape, for good reason. Universal (non-formed) hoses like that one will create "weird" angles at the fitting when installed, sometimes causing a leak. I would also say check the hose barb isn't deformed or out-of-round.

Order yourself a new OEM clamp with it as well, they are easier on hoses than the worm gear clamps and provide mOAR even clamping.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,525
the brass part got beat up pretty bad on engine removal (hose was fused on there), bent it back to where it looks pretty round like it should be, but who knows... i think someone told me @steelmatt6 just went through this as well

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Hmmm, maybe put something round into the pipe, that fits pretty snug, and then put a clamp on the outside and tighten it to try and "re-round" it?

·
Registered
514 Posts
I just went through this before my car was down. I tried to remove the hose and it was fused like yours and it wouldn't stop leaking even with a couple off different hose and clamp combos. I had to just bite the bullet and replace the heater core. It sucked but it was leak free after that

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,529
Well for now... i did have the OEM hose and clamp on hand, so that's on there (but not connected on the other side yet

if this doesn't take care of it, i'll just loop those two hoses together for the time being..... who needs heat in FL anyways, lol

·
Super Moderator
3,244 Posts
If all else fails, spend some time with a strip of emory cloth cleaning up the heater pipe. The gunk that accumulates after a decade or two is evil, but needs to come off to make a good clean joint with a rubber hose. I give my radiator hose fittings the same treatment every few years. Shiny fittings make for happy hoses.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Yea, I had issues with that brass hose as well. I bent it pretty bad. But I rounded it the best I could. I tried all other options. So far, I don't think it's leaking. I'll frequently check it though.

Unfortunately as mentioned, the only remedy is heater core replacement or bypass...unless your a REALLY good natural plumber. Ha

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,533
So got the OEM hose coming off the firewall's brass tube, got the OEM clamp on there and then hooked the other side to a barb connector to the hose coming off the coolant pipe (the SC gets in the way of the length of the OEM hose reaching all on it's own)

just filled the coolant system again, it's got the afternoon to settle in and see if i am still leaking fluid or not.....

if it's not, and damn i so hope so, i'll start the car up tonight.... I've already got the distributor and fuel pump unplugged to get some oil pressure going to initially set in the rings...

·
Registered
242 Posts
if it still leaks, you might want to try a light coat of rtv on the pipe to give it a little extra forgiveness of out of round

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,536
so far so good after an hour.... no leaking

three hours until i get off work and if it's good, vroom vroom !!

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,539
I hope so on both video and driving... i've been dragging my feet much too long on this build.....

been so busy with everything else... neglected car has been neglected..

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,540
Sorry to leave everyone hanging !!

Monday night I did do the initial break in of the pistons (no distributor, no fuel pump) and then connected those back up and fired the car up... she fired up right away!

minor issues:
- coolant line from other side of heater core is dripping where it meets the head under the VTEC solenoid, gotta fix that
- after idling for 20-25 minutes i didn't get to see/hear the new cooling fans turn on
- fuel rail was leaking where the line from the fuel filter comes in, I tightened it to the point where it stopped, but i'd like to get some new crush washers for that

yesterday i got super sick and spent all day in bed, today isn't much better, so next step may be a few days

5521 - 5540 of 6485 Posts