Team Integra Forums banner

3701 - 3720 of 6485 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Shoot him a text, best way. Been talking with him this morning as well.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I thought you (Steve) had a street tune done?

I feel any spots that could be questionable would have been taken care of then? Just weird that all the sudden there is an issue that could be tune related

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,703
This isn't an "all of a sudden" issue... the sensor fouling up has been an ongoing issue..... it's just happening more frequently...

to be honest I really don't drive the car that much, *but* i have been in the past month just to get her out on the road some more, so the problem may not be worse as the "amount of time driven" to "sensor fouling up" is probably still the same ratio as last year

as for tuning:
- Dec 2011: street tuned on Crome
- Early Jan '12: street tuned (same guy)
- Late Jan '12: dyno tuned (still on Crome, different tuner)
- Nov '12: tuned by phearable for about 3 hours, he did top end and partial throttle, removed Ostrich and put in eCTune'd chip

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,705
Dan, there is nothing to apologize about, nothing at all

I don't think i've ever posted the "tuning schedule" before anyways... it's all good.....

========

Aggghhh, I was just out in the garage and glanced at the messed up paint on my rims, I'm now angry... ::: grrr :::

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,706
Question about an IAT gauge... looking at this ProSport one

it says: "Temperature sender included. (3/8"NPT)"

will I be able to catch that temperature right off the top of my Jackson intake like where I get vacuum pressure from ? (i'd think "hell yes" since that is where the stock IAT sensor is, but i just want to make sure before spending the $$)

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Hi Steve!

Long time no see and lots have changed. You're boosting, Brake upgrades, Tracking your car, Tuned, and got married! Whew thats a lot to come back too! All for the better!

Anyhow, your plug do look ok. Your O2 does look rich though as others have mentioned. I'm not quite sure I would agree that you are always in open loop as that would not be good for the tune. Is there any way you can check your tune settings?

When I had my setup with the wideband I had it set to automatically go closed loop when not at WOT. This way it will search for the 14.7:1 ratio the factory narrow band O2 does. Or vice versa, you can do the opposite and set it to target 14.7:1 and that will pretty much mean you are in closed loop.

Your car is originally OBD2, but switched to OBD1 so I don't think the rear O2 being plugged is an issue. It is after all just a sensor to check cat efficiency anyways. I am "ASSUMING" that your last tune was set up properly, then all this have been factored in already.

I too am a little stumped on how much worse the O2 looks compared to the plugs since the O2 is pretty much the next sensor to see those exhaust gases after the plugs ignites them. I can only confirm that it is on the rich side, but why the plugs don't see it that way I am stumped too.

BTW, what exactly is the purpose of the IAT sensor? What are you trying to achieve with it?

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,708
Flat! a long long time man, good to see you poke your head around here again

Thanks for all the tips on the O2 sensor, I'm still in "gathering data" phase... the tuner, phearable.net, is on the other side of the state, so i'm trying to gather as much info as possible in case i need to get out there to him again

As for the IAT sensor, i'm just looking to see results of the methanol injection, pure and simple :)

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,709
Alright, so let's see if I am on the right track....

I believe I want to put this ProSport IAT temp gauge where the cruise control is and then put a ProSport water temp gauge where the dimmer switch is..... should be easy enough to get those in there, I've seen it done enough...

so for the IAT gauge, the sensor looks like this, although not exactly, as the one i get with the gauge is 3/8" NPT:

So for mounting that, i thought I may be able to move over the vacuum line from my boost gauge over to the unused nipple, and then *maybe* this hole where I have the brass fitting is the right size.... if it's not, what are my options with it ? I may run out to Ace and pick up a 3/8" NPT fitting and see if it fits (since I have no way of knowing what size is in there now)

Side bar: was going through old posts on this running log last night, ran across a post about milage, thought i'd figure out how many miles I've been putting on the car...

so July 23rd 2010 I was at 124,900, today June 28th I'm at 149,512.... not bad at about 8,000 miles a year.... heck almost a quarter of that is probably the Dragon Run alone

(yuck, my interior needs cleaning)

Attachments

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Alright, so let's see if I am on the right track....

So for mounting that, i thought I may be able to move over the vacuum line from my boost gauge over to the unused nipple, and then *maybe* this hole where I have the brass fitting is the right size.... if it's not, what are my options with it ? I may run out to Ace and pick up a 3/8" NPT fitting and see if it fits (since I have no way of knowing what size is in there now)
3/8" NPT is pretty big...if it isn't the right size, it looks like it'd be on the smaller size of the IAT sensor. Your option then to fit the sensor in there if it's too small is to drill that hole out, and use a 3/8" NPT tap to cut the right threads in it. It's aluminum so it'll be cake if you need to.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,712
3/8" NPT is pretty big...if it isn't the right size, it looks like it'd be on the smaller size of the IAT sensor. Your option then to fit the sensor in there if it's too small is to drill that hole out, and use a 3/8" NPT tap to cut the right threads in it. It's aluminum so it'll be cake if you need to.
that could be a possibility, I just wonder how I'd avoid pieces of aluminum going inside the manifold

PS If you call Jackson I bet they can give you that thread size from their drawings
I did end up calling them really quick, their Supercharger guy Blaine is freaking awesome, he's helped me 3 or 4 times now...

anyways, he didn't have a way of knowing so he went searching for a raw manifold and some parts to check on it and they didn't have one in stock... so i got a solid "i'm not sure, but 3/8" NPT was very popular back then" and their parts list does list parts like "051-132 BARB 5/8 3/8NPT", so it's a possibility....

anyways, i think i'll just spend the dollar or so and get something at Ace Hardware that is that size and just try it :)

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,713
will this kit will work if I want to open up that left side hole for 3/8" NPT ? I see it has a 3/8" thread piece in there, just not sure about the "NPT" part

·
Super Moderator
3,244 Posts
Probably, but you'll need to make sure it's an NPT tap (they're tapered) and that you have the manifold off the car, since it is impossible to prevent swarf from the tap from falling into the IM when the tip of the tap makes it all the way through the wall of the IM.

·
Super Moderator
3,244 Posts
If you put in a vacuum hose in there while you are doing it you can suck up all the shavings. I dont mean a car vacuum hose, I mean a real vacuum.
If you use tapping fluid (and you should!) the vac won't get everything. Guess how I know.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,718
Damn !

I was hoping to fire up "LogWorks" and do some logging through my Innovative's data port, but damned if I can find the USB <--> Serial adapter I bought a few months ago.... i tore apart the house looking for it and can't find it

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Flat! a long long time man, good to see you poke your head around here again

Thanks for all the tips on the O2 sensor, I'm still in "gathering data" phase... the tuner, phearable.net, is on the other side of the state, so i'm trying to gather as much info as possible in case i need to get out there to him again

As for the IAT sensor, i'm just looking to see results of the methanol injection, pure and simple :)
I poked my head in here a few times but the only time I actually remembered was when the site was changing over. The other random times were when I saw posting on FB and decided to swing over.

Anyhow my sister's integra snapped a timing belt so I came over to look at the cam seal plug article because the stupid idiots kept telling me I needed 4 total for the engine. I just had to make sure.

Anyhow, great progress on your car. Is there anyway for you to poke inside the program to see what the settings are? Do you have a gauge for the A/F gauge for the wideband? That would help a lot in determining if the setup is running right.

As for IAT, I remember a long long time ago member neouser (or whatever his username was) used a tape sensor on the outside of the filter and one on the inside of the filter at the base, and compared the two. It was a poor mans was of measuring temps, but he was able to get some results. Sadly I do not remember the results of that experiment as I am getting old and it was about a decade ago.

Have you looked into less intrusive ways to measure IAT temps as opposed to drilling into that manifold? I totally agree with you... that manifold is not coming out. Only time it comes out is when you decide to sell it or upgrade! LOL!

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,720
Spent some time this morning trading some texts/pictures-of-the-A/F with John/Phearable...

it seems like I am running a tad rich

3701 - 3720 of 6485 Posts