Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. It is that time again for Cleaning and waxing.
Here is the question:

I live in Colorado where the pollution is very high and the oxygen is very low. It can be a blizzard one day and a day at the water-park the next. This Tuesday I am planning on washing & waxing my car as well as detailing EVERYTHING from the interior to the engine bay. living where I do and being in a climate that is VERY HOT AND DRY I know I will need a good wax for shine and protection. I have read all the threads I can but I wanted to get some honest input from anyone who knows best about this situation or anyone who lives in COLORADO or a climate like it. What is the best wax I should use or that you would recommend? I have looked at many but I think it is down to 2: Meguires and Zymol. I like ZYMOL for it's ingredients and what it says it can do for my car. Keep in mind that where I live the climate is harsh and the rain every couple days/weeks is harsh as well.
Thank you to all who read this and can give some valuable input.

.KENDO.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Colorado doesnt have a harsh climate! It has probably one of the mildest I know of!

Search up Klasse and get some of that an dyoua re set!

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
I live in Salt Lake and the climate is very similar to Colorado. I've also lived in Idaho where it can be argued to be even weirder. For my car I wouldn't have anything other than a synthetic on it. Waxes are great for making the car look good, but they are pretty low on the protection side. Something along the lines of Zaino, Klasse, Platinum, or even Meguiar's #20 or their new NXT wax would be better for your climate. #20 and NXT can be purchased off the shelf, but the others would have to be ordered online. In my professional experience I have found that the best products are not available locally. You have to order them.

Zymol is not the best out there. Their ingredients are among some of the best kept secrets in the detailing industry and many people who know the ingredients will tell you that it is not worth it. I've used many Zymol products ranging from the blue $20 cleaner wax at AutoZone to $1500 Zymol Vintage. I have not been overly impressed by any of them. For my money, if I'm going to use a wax that I can buy locally then it will either be Meguiar's Gold Class or S100. Gold Class can be purchased just about anywhere, but S100 is only available through Harley Davidson dealerships and a few online stores. Both products are under $15 and worth more to me than my Vintage is. I would trade my jar of Zymol for a jar of S100 any day. I just like having it around so I can say I have it. ;)

There are many articles and threads here regarding products and what works well for different conditions. Check the common topics section for good threads explaining sealants and how synthetics can help you. In a harsh climate like we live in I can't suggest using a wax as the primary source of protection. A sealant is really the best way to go.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Well, your car's pushing 10 years old. I'm going to ASSUME it's not perfect, not a show car.

If I were you, I'd keep it simple. Wash your car and apply Meguires cleaner wax. This stuff's not expensive and it certainly gets the job done. For best results apply it twice every 6 months.

The cleaner wax works well as it does a good job smoothing clear coat and removing bugs and such. Zymol's great, but for decent results you'll need to spend a lot of money on a two-step system (pre-cleaner and then the wax). Also, Zymol's all natural ingredients don't seem to last as long as other products.

Just my two sense.

*10 years old = it's a 1995

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
I've stuck with zymol mostly, but have used meguiars a little along with a few others, but those are the two i like most... They tend to work pretty well on different finishes, but i still need to find something to help out with the fading paint on the NSX bumper...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
roundle on Mar/12/04 said:
Well, your car's pushing 10 years old. I'm going to assume it's not perfect, not a show car.

If I were you, I'd keep it simple. Wash your car and apply Meguires cleaner wax. This stuff's not expensive and it certainly gets the job done. For best results apply it twice every 6 months.

The cleaner wax works well as it does a good job smoothing clear coat and removing bugs and such. Zymol's great, but for decent results you'll need to spend a lot of money on a two-step system (pre-cleaner and then the wax). Also, Zymol's all natural ingredients don't seem to last as long as other products.

Just my two sense.

Actually I just bought the car 2 Novembers ago and before I owned it it was the product of a detailing manager at Motorwerks BMW in Minnesota so it is in a VERY amazing condition. Nothing wrong with it- no blemishes or scratches etc.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Durability is the big problem. I haven't been able to get more than a few weeks out of it. Waxes at best can only be expected to last for maybe 10 weeks tops, and Zymol has always been way below average. It looks great for show, but two weeks later its gone.

95Integra_SE on Mar/12/04 said:
Actually I just bought the car 2 Novembers ago and before I owned it it was the product of a detailing manager at Motorwerks BMW in Minnesota so it is in a VERY amazing condition. Nothing wrong with it- no blemishes or scratches etc.
If you bought the car two years ago then I'm pretty sure its not in the same condition that it was when you bought it. I doubt anyone is as anal about their car as I am and its not in immaculate condition unless I am doing a cut and buff every other month. Unless its been professionally maintained and not just waxed monthly, then I'm sure it could use a little help. What color is it?

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Jngrbrdman is definatly right on Zymol not tending to last long.... I like to wax my car at least once a month, often more just cause it looks so nice when fresh, so i use Zymol...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Correction: 2 Novembers ago is only one year. November wasn't that long ago- I just didn't say one year ago November because that would state that it would have been 5 months since I have had it.

My car is a DARK GREEN and I do keep it as clean as I can but with the winters here it sucks

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Alright, I stand corrected. Still, even a car going two winters in your climate without proper detailing is going to have a few scratches on it. My car was scratch free in October and its pretty covered in them right now.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I use Zymol Pre Cleaner and Zymol Carbon on my Boston Green BMW 3-series (it's a nice weather car)

I generally buy the stuff at www.bavauto.com

Car looks great and the products smell amazing (pre cleaner smells like Chocolate, carbon wax smells like gourmet bubble bath).

My lowly 2001 GSR gets Meguires Cleaner Wax :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool. Thank you to everyone who has posted. I have to run...got a date. But keep leaving me good info I will check back later. Thanks
KENDO

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
If you want good smelling wax then you should take a whiff of the Pinnacle waxes. Souveran smells like a bananna split and Paste Glaz smells like some sort of tropical drink. I always thought that Vintage smelled kind of like crayons. The smell is half the fun of detailing I think.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Yeah, if smell's what you're looking for, avoid the Cleaner Wax I suggested--it mostly resembles Designer Imposter Perfume :p

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
You should smell the new Wolfgang QD. It smells like cheap aftershave. I don't know that I dare use it on my car. lol

·
Registered
99 Posts
In terms of actual natural wax, nothing is better than carnuba. It lasts long and seals well, and sense you want to protect your paint from the elements it would be the best choice.

Zymol may have superior shine, but compared to carnuba it doesn't last long. It's like lotion for your car.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Carnauba is the problem though. Vintage has probably one of the highest levels of carnauba of any wax out there. Its not the carnauba that makes it durable. Its the other products in it. Carnauba in its natural form is hard as a rock. In order to make it usable on a car it obviously has some changing to do. I have never seen a carnauba actually last more than 8 or 10 weeks.

The problem with wax is that it is more like a shell on your car. In the heat when your car contracts, it leaves a space for heat to build up between the paint and the wax. That makes it burn off even faster. I would say that a coat of wax could last you between 4 and 6 weeks if you leave it outside and its a hot summer. Synthetics bond to the piant like super glue and will contract and expand with the metal. It is a far better way to ensure long lasting protection on your vehicle. Use waxes as a way to enhance the appearance and not a way to actaully get durability and protection.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Jngrbrdman on Mar/13/04 said:
Carnauba is the problem though. Vintage has probably one of the highest levels of carnauba of any wax out there. Its not the carnauba that makes it durable. Its the other products in it. Carnauba in its natural form is hard as a rock. In order to make it usable on a car it obviously has some changing to do. I have never seen a carnauba actually last more than 8 or 10 weeks.

The problem with wax is that it is more like a shell on your car. Use waxes as a way to enhance the appearance and not a way to actaully get durability and protection.
i have to disagree with you here. the purpose of wax is to create an ablative barrier between the expensive paint and the harsh ass environment. It is meant to wear away before the paint does and be less expensive to apply than more paint. (Even the most expensive synthetic waxes will not last more than 6-8 weeks.) All waxes that are used for automotive paint have been chosen because they meet these requirements and if it is animal wax, carnuba wax, or synthetic (short chain ethylenic polymers) it doesn't matter that much. Although most proffesional use carnuba, maybe because they are old fashioned. Just do your car a favor and wax it every month with whatever you use from whatever company -how about a company you trust?

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
Jngrbrdman on Mar/12/04 said:
I live in Salt Lake and the climate is very similar to Colorado. I've also lived in Idaho where it can be argued to be even weirder.
try living in michigan, lol!

klasse and s100 for me

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
ac_attack on Mar/27/04 said:
i have to disagree with you here. the purpose of wax is to create an ablative barrier between the expensive paint and the harsh ass environment. It is meant to wear away before the paint does and be less expensive to apply than more paint. (Even the most expensive synthetic waxes will not last more than 6-8 weeks.) All waxes that are used for automotive paint have been chosen because they meet these requirements and if it is animal wax, carnuba wax, or synthetic (short chain ethylenic polymers) it doesn't matter that much. Although most proffesional use carnuba, maybe because they are old fashioned. Just do your car a favor and wax it every month with whatever you use from whatever company -how about a company you trust?
I dunno about that... I speak with many professionals and I don't know many of them that still rely on waxes to do their work. Waxes have become much more of an appearance product than any kind of protection. And its the waxes and not the synthetics that last 6 weeks. A good synthetic polymer sealant can last for 3 or 4 months. That is much better protection for my car than a fragile wax.

Wax by its very nature is much too fragile to be used as any kind of protection. Waxing once a week may be the solution, but not everybody has time to do that. What if I only have time to detail my car on one day of the week and I have a string of 3 weeks where that day is just not good weather? What do we do in the winter when we can't wax the car? Sealants are the obvious and much better solution than waxing.

You can't group synthetic polymer or acrylic sealnts in the same catagory as waxes. They are nothing alike. That would be like putting Post It Notes to Krazy Glue in the same catagory. There is a world of difference between a wax that evaporates in 4 weeks (such as Zymol) and a sealant that can last through a punishing Michigan winter (such as Klasse). Ask any sealant user if they still use carnauba waxes and they'll tell you that they do, but just for the look. Not for protection. In fact, I'd love to hear from the professional who uses a wax for protection. Its the idea that wax is going to protect that is old fashioned... Not the guys who use it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts