Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically, I need to get my car to the shop tonight - which is 54 miles away from where my car is now for clutch/flywheel work.

The car will move...barely, because the clutch life is pretty much at zero so there is major slippage. What are the chances of me breaking/ruining something if I decide to drive my car at this state to the shop? Or will I be safe? It is mainly highway/interstate traveling.

This is my last resort as I can't find a trailer or a flatbed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had a 91 ranger loose it's clutch, and i was able to drive it/shift without using the clutch, like in an 18wheeler. This is harder to do in an Integra because the gears and syncros are tighter, but it is possible. However, I live in a rural area with few stops and light traffic. When I did have to stop, I had to turn the truck off, put it in first, re-start it, and HANG ON! Because it moves as it starts. Eventually the clutch will completely give out leaving you DRT. (Dead Right There)

So it all depends on how bad your clutch is. If you have a lot of stops or heavy traffic, I would say it would be too dangerous, for other drivers, if you attempted it. Seeing as you car will be unpredictable.

As far as damaging your car, the clutch is already gone. The flywheel could be damaged if the clutch gets to hot or shards into little peices. I would THINK your transmission should be ok, but that is just a guess.

My vote is to call a Towing company. Some shops have there own or can recommend someone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts