Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I recently bought 2 pair of 6.5 coaxials Infinity reference speakers for the front and rear. The front will be powered by my amp while the rears will get powered off my HU. I didn't do much research prior to the purchase and wanted your opinion if I should keep my setup or return them (bought them online, shipping is going to rape me)

I've been reading up on components, would high end coaxials be good as low end components? Cause I have a budget. BTW, I'm running 2 10 RF subs.

Thanks once again for your time.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
component will always sound better with an amp on them...better imaging. keep it all but the subs...I have the Fosgate XLC's(the step above yours) from 4 years ago and they are still great but the rf's got to go...no bueno!!

·
Registered
402 Posts
here's the thing about speakers, and pretty much everyone else will tell you the same thing. speakers are only as good as you think they are. people will tell you that they have the same speakers as you, adn that they love/hate them, but only you can tell how good they really are, cuz everyones ears are different. now, im not saying that you should disregard their advice completely, but it shouldnt be your main deciding factor. go to a stereo shop, and listen to their high end coaxials, and low end compnents, and you decide how good they are. i personally have pioneer premiers coaxials all around, and the mids and highs are beautiful on them, but the bass isnt all that great. im probably eventually gonna put compnents up front. hope this helped.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My head hurts just thinking about what speakers I should go, now your telling me my subs gotta go!!! :x

j/k...I have 2 10 Rockford HE punch...they're pretty pricey..I don't think the subs should be a problem

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
HE punch are way better than th rf series...they must be new...yeah your okay on that level. You will be very happy with the infinity. They have overpowering highs though so may have to tone down the treble...with an amp you are going jiz in your pants!

·
Registered
17 Posts
SBhatia has a very good point, you need to decide for yourself. I have a friend who spent $350 on a pair of focal front component speakers and i dont think they sound any better than my eclipse coaxials. I hate infinity, but i do know people who like the sound of them. You should definately spend the extra money for components in the front but I will tell one thing most people can agree on is that any metal tweeters is not the way to go. Sure they are stiffer and can move a lot faster, but they tend to be really bright and harsh. It is really hard to find speakers with aluminum or titanium tweeters that the rest of the sound isnt overpowered by the tweeters. Try to stay away from the huge name electronics makers like sony, pioneer, or panasonic for speakers. Dont fall for the "wow look at these pioneers, they must be better because they are 4 way speakers." Go to a tweeter if you can find one, they usually have pretty good stuff.
As far as your subwoofers go, i dont really know. As much as i hate rf, some of their stuff is pretty impressive. Like their 6.5" sun in a tube. It is really amazing how much sound these little subs can make now. The sound degredation rate on rf is also much better than other brands. I have had two rf power hx2's, kicker comp vr 8", kicker solobaric l5 8"(not worth it), xtant 12"-loud but kind of poppy, mb quart rwc304 12"-very nice sounding, image dynamics 10"-best one i have ever heard, eclipse 12"-$150-sounded as good as my friends $300 eclipse aluminums, and a jlw3-sucks.
if you dont want to spend a lot i would reccomend the kicker comp vr, 2 8's or 1 10. you can get them for like $50 on ebay and they dont sound half bad. I would definately recomend an mb quart or a image dynamics.
but always listen to it before you buy it, we can give you tips and help but you really need to listen for yourself, and make sure in the store you bring your music in and listen to what you will be listening to in your car because that can make all the difference.

i also forgot, if you like to play it loud, there is a brand called memphis. they are decently price. they have aluminum tweeters but are pretty soft sounding. no matter how many times you blow them you can always bring them back and they will give you a new pair for free.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I completely agree with Sahil. Here are my experiences.

Originally I had a set of Soundstream SPL 65 components powered by an Alping MRV-F(50X4 + 150X1). I thought they originally sounded good when I heard them in the shop, but after awhile I got really tired of them so I got rid of them. The reason I got tired of them was becuase the tweets were a little too sloppy. They weren't as vibrant as I'd like to have my highs. The mid-ranges worked well enough as I had them in a custom sealed enclosure in the front doors. They were also 2 ohm speakers, so they played louder than my future speakers, but they also played with a little more distortion at the extreme levels.

Then I had a set of Infinity Kappa 6.5 6.5" component sets powered by the same amp. They sounded pretty good, the only thing I didn't like about them is that the highs sounded too vibrant. So these had the opposite problem that my Soundstreams had. I liked them a lot better than the Soundstreams though, so I knew I was getting closer to what I actually wanted. Didn't play quite as loud as the Soundstreams, but at the levels I was pushing the Soundstreams, it didn't reall matter.

Then I've got my current pair of Polk Audio MOMO MM6 6.5" components. I am currently very satisfied with these. I don't see my self getting tired of these for a very long time.

Throughout this whole history, my low-end has been 2 10" Infinity Beta DVCs powered by an Alpine MRV-1002 (150X2 into 4 ohms, or 300X2 into 2, which is how I ran it). They places in a sealed box with an internal volume of a mere 0.55 cu. ft. each. This is part of the system that I will never change.

But, as I sais above Sahil is completely on the ball. You have to listen to the speakers yourself and determine what you think sounds good. The only criteria I can recommend that you use was passed down to me by an owner of one of the local stereo shops, "If you get tired of listening to music, then you know you don't have the right speakers."

Have fun!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
infinity is one of the best out their...you just have to atinuate( spelling?) the tweeter a bit with a cap.

·
Registered
402 Posts
im running two pioneer ts-w254 10 inch woofers. to tell u the truth, im probably gonna end up replacing them and the sub amp (kenwood) for something a little higher end and run them at 4 ohms. ive had these for over 2 years now, and they havent been bad, but since ive learned more about car audio, and have become a larger fan of it, i want to go with something a little cleaner. im not running that much power, and i really dont want to (my amp is running 230 RMS), and i dont want more than that, i just want to boost the damping factor by going 4-ohm, and get some higher end names.

and another thing, i just went to an audio shop today and listened to some components (the jl audio x650) and, quite frankly, i wasnt that impressed. the low end was better, but the mids and highs arent as good as the pioneers im running right now, and the JL drivers cost almost twice as much. its a perfect example of y you need to listen yourself before deciding.

·
Registered
239 Posts
components really only help when you want to mount the tweeters in a different direction than the mids to compensate for some sound blocking, like seats. also components have external crossovers which help keep distortion down. i had both coaxials and components and was happy with both. just don't underpower them. a nice, clean powerful signal does wonders for clarity.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts