Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there anything better than having friends in high places? buddy of mine whos the Southwest US XM Radio Rep emails me this flyer of "Friends and Family" discount for their service and the hardware.. so peaking through this flyer, i can grab the Alpine XM Tuner WITH the antenna (which runs $80) for, get this, $79 and free activation...

only bummer though, my CVA-1005 doesnt support the XM "firmware" directly, i have to buy an FM Modulator controller ($79 @ Crutchfield) to be able to control it (but i can use the RCA outputs to go into the AUX in channel instead of the antenna thing)......

After listening to XM briefly in sander's car, i am for sure impressed with the whole XM system, this price just makes it a hell of a lot easier to "pull the trigger" on it i guess

·
Super Moderator
14,177 Posts
dont you have to pay a monthly bill for that?

·
Registered
18 Posts
i have xm myself and haven't listened to the regular fm stations since... the commercials suck... not to mention xm is cd quality... i put my glass mount antenna at the top of the hatch, and it is over top of some quantum tint and it still works great if you don't mount it close to the roof as possible the reception sucks

·
Registered
648 Posts
$10 a month for music is a rip-off. I just got myself a CD-MP3 player, so I can just keep CDs full of MP3s I like and listen to those. Sure, I don't get exposed to any new music this way, but new music all sucks anyway (one big reason the RIAA's profits have taken a nose-dive lately).

·
Registered
85 Posts
hey, I'm getting a cheap deal just like that one through the place I work at, and I'm getting the Pioneer XM Tuner w/ the seperate faceplate. Where did you put your tuner, and any good suggestions on mounting the faceplate controller that come's with it?? A pm or e-mail on this subject would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it looks like the alpine piece is a bit "taller" than the pioneer units.. so it'll probaby go in the back with the rest of my equipment

The brain for my head unit is under my driver seat and my changer is under the passenger seat, so i basically have no choice in the matter

and btw, i would post something like this, not email or PM, so that others can partake in the discussion... (that's what the forum is about
)

·
Registered
18 Posts
my pioneer brain is actually mounted right under the radio on the hump... didn't really secure it much but it is in a good hidden out of the way place

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'd hate to play Devil's Advocate here, but i'm anti XM. I dont like the fact that even though you are just listening to music, they've got you on GPS and can give you speeding tickets....

·
Registered
648 Posts
Lachean on Sep/19/02 said:
I'd hate to play Devil's Advocate here, but i'm anti XM. I dont like the fact that even though you are just listening to music, they've got you on GPS and can give you speeding tickets....
Sorry to burst your conspiracy theory, but there's no way to track speed with XM. Also, XM is in no way related to the GPS system. XM only has two satellites (named Rock and Roll) to cover the continent; GPS always requires three satellites to get a location fix.

I'm anti-XM too, but just because 1) I think paying a monthly fee for radio is a crock (esp when I can just listen to CDs), and 2) all the new music these days is total crap, so I don't even care about hearing anything new.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Lachean on Sep/19/02 said:
Get your facts straight before posting this kind of nonsense please.

As for XM, it's a nice set-up to have, but not for everyone. I don't have mine "turned on" anymore, but I did enjoy the variety of music it offered...especially the classical, blues, and jazz stuff.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Did you just say they have you on gps on XM? How would the fact that you are recieving (not SENDING) a signal from either of two low level wideband satellites have anything to do with a much more advanced (and completely seperate to xm) and expensive system of high level gps sattelites. Hell, even if the system was setup so that XM sattelites could be used to find position of recievers (which it isnt) do you really think they would spend millions developing a system just so cops could use that info in their cruisers and catch speeders? Whats next? "No hubble telescope! Their gonna take pictures and using those lines on the roads give me tickets!!! AHH!". lol

P.S. Oh yeah, I've heard bad things about the FM modulators for XM, their supposed to really hurt music fidelity. My friend had one and couldnt get any bass or good mids out of his XM, swapped his head and hardwired it and got cd quality through it.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
if the FM comment was directed at me.. a KCA-121B takes care of any issues with FM Modulation (because it'll be direct conect into and AUX channel)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I have the Sony plung-n-play setup, I love it. I have it running directly into the aux input of my JVC deck, so I get the digital quality sound(that you wont get using an FM modualtor). I can also pull it out of the car, and listen to it inside! Sounds great, looks great and for $10 probably the best monthly payment I make. The only thing I dont like about it is the big antenna Sony uses, but they just came out with a smaller one so that will fix that problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts