Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the other day i ran my car to almost empty and then my dad took it and filled the car up with 87 octane gas. I have a GSR so i am supposed to run premium and i always put 93 in there. I know this isnt good for my engine but what will it do?

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
knock sensor will retard timing until it has compensated for the different gas. nothing detrimental, even the manual says it will compensate, and that you'll only lose some performance. if you only do it for one fill up, the computer will most likely readjust your timing, but worse case you can reset your computer to get the timing back

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
There is a drain bolt on the bottom of the gas tank. YOu could use that.

As far as the knock sensors, I would be careful because they only actiave when there is knocking.. which means you have some detonation. Plus they don't work above a certin rpm (midrange somewhere).

·
Registered
185 Posts
Tell your dad to read the guage cluster where it says "premium only." I would be soooooo mad if one of my parents did that. I'm sure he didn't mean to, though. Drive it easy.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Yeah the knock sensor is there to make sure no REAL damage occurs. I imagine if there is ANY detonation at all then it won't be anything to worry about. I wouldn't lose sleep over it at all.

But I agree with the taking it easy. Drive like it's in the break in period - i.e. keep it under 3500 rpm and don't drive too much over the speed limit on the highway.

If yer gonna worry, maybe you can pour in a bottle of octane booster.

·
Registered
169 Posts
STP octane booster works pretty good. When I use it in my teg I notice a slight difference,(rpms climb faster more mileage out of full tank). It's at any gas station for $4.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Shadowhunter on Sep/26/02 said:
get some octane boost.
I was gonna recommend that too, but I wasn't sure how it would mix up.

Octane booster does nothing for performance, contrary to what the butt dyno might tell you.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have been topping it off every once in a while with 93 octane. I have done that twice so far, once when i had half of the tank of 87 and then again when i had half a tank. It seems to be running alot smoother and i might be going to buy some octane booster tonight.

·
Registered
8,678 Posts
StyleTEG on Sep/26/02 said:
There is a drain bolt on the bottom of the gas tank. YOu could use that.

As far as the knock sensors, I would be careful because they only actiave when there is knocking.. which means you have some detonation. Plus they don't work above a certin rpm (midrange somewhere).
start a fire with that extra gas

·
Registered
185 Posts
It states 91 octane or higher. Those people you are talking about are non vtec and they swear that putting in "the good stuff" is worth it. It's their money so they can do as they please, though. I'm guilty of doing it with my previous car too.

But GSRs and TypeR's must have premium in order to run at optimal performance.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
here we have like 87, 89, 93, and another side pump thats got 100 in it. I guess my dad is just so used to putting 87 in his big V8 turd tahoe that he didnt bother to look to see what mine took.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
i would like to try some of that 100 one day, u mind sending me a can of that and i'll pay for it.lol

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
If I dont use premium in my GS every once ina while, my valves start taping horribly loud.. I only do it about once a month or so though, just to keep it running right

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
z317 on Sep/26/02 said:
i would like to try some of that 100 one day, u mind sending me a can of that and i'll pay for it.lol
Well that stuff is like almost 4.50 a gallon i think lol. Would be kinda weird sending it in the mail lol but its worth a try i guess? I havent noticed any probs from the car except it runs like crap lol

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
4.50 for a gallon of gasoline huh, is this why we want to take out saddam? so we can all have 100 running in our engines at 2 cents a gallon...j/k...well, i ain't that rich yet... unless it will make my car fly.lol....i'll let you know about ordering it when i hit the lottery..

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lol no prob. I put that 100 octane in my old prelude before i got rid of it...only like a gallon or so. Couldnt tell a difference at all but i just wanted to do it. I didnt really care if it messed anything up.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts