Team Integra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
MeltMan on Oct/01/10 said:
Update: It fell off. I have a pretty good idea why... I think I actually loaded those teenuts. I'm going to go look at my beater teg and see how tight that brake light sits against the glass. The glue stayed on the teenuts but popped right off the glass. I really think I just had the light too tight against the glass. I'm going to do some measuring and maybe place a spacer in there so the light isn't always trying to pull the nuts off the glass
I know you want a permanent solution, but I figured I'd share what worked for me. I attached the third brake light to the part of the plastic hatch cover that sits underneath the glass with Velcro and it never fell off. Simply wedging it into place, and having the velcro there to hold it, was pretty foolproof and it looked seamless.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
stealthpenguin on Oct/01/10 said:
I know you want a permanent solution, but I figured I'd share what worked for me. I attached the third brake light to the part of the plastic hatch cover that sits underneath the glass with Velcro and it never fell off. Simply wedging it into place, and having the velcro there to hold it, was pretty foolproof and it looked seamless.
This^

Doing it right is one thing, but over-thinking/engineering something is easier to do than you would think ha. Penguin's way seems to work just fine.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Update: It fell off. I have a pretty good idea why... I think I actually loaded those teenuts. I'm going to go look at my beater teg and see how tight that brake light sits against the glass. The glue stayed on the teenuts but popped right off the glass. I really think I just had the light too tight against the glass. I'm going to do some measuring and maybe place a spacer in there so the light isn't always trying to pull the nuts off the glass
Its because you forgot to use the finger pointer Casey..lol nice wright up for that matter. A+ in my books.

·
Registered
88 Posts
That stinks, I hate it when I take the time do something "the right way" and it still doesn't work. Not sure if it'll apply to your process or not, but I did a little search and found this:

"UV glass glue will need strong outdoor sunlight to form a good bond. Professional repair shops gluing mirror or other glass to glass use a strong commercial UV light. These work best but are expensive and not practical for a single project. UV glue uses the long UV light rays to dry and bond. Direct sun or a long wave UV light are needed."

Not sure if your glue suggests that, but it might help to leave it in the sun a while before mounting the light again. You'll at least gain some extra curring time if nothing else. Hopefully you can pry your bolt fakes off if need be!

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
did you lightly like sand the glass where you applied the glue to?

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
cluelessmale on Oct/01/10 said:
did you lightly like sand the glass where you applied the glue to?

No but that was in my bag of tricks this time around.

Quote: stealthpenguin on Oct/01/10 I know you want a permanent solution, but I figured I'd share what worked for me. I attached the third brake light to the part of the plastic hatch cover that sits underneath the glass with Velcro and it never fell off. Simply wedging it into place, and having the velcro there to hold it, was pretty foolproof and it looked seamless.
That's actually not where the brake light is supposed to sit on an OEM car. I have one to look at (beater teg) so I know theres a small gap between them.

Doing it your way will drive me batshit crazy because the brake light wont be in the exact right spot.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Quote: cluelessmale on Oct/01/10did you lightly like sand the glass where you applied the glue to?

No but that was in my bag of tricks this time around.

I would use a dremel tool with a diamond plated glass etcher. That would be your best bet,but do it on low just to be safe.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
You're on the right track but Id go get the glue at a glass place seance there's is way stronger. But yeah,reading about it would be the best way to go.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
What did you do to prep the glass? Sitting upside down like that is a good way for greases and oils to flat up and attach to the window such as the grease that happens on your windshield because of the defroster/dash treatments. You may want to wipe it with a laquer thinner or alchohol. make sure you don't use acetone as it leaves a film on the surface. Also remember that no air should ever be in the gap as well as it will pop it off when it warms up.

Loading the nuts is a very good possibility You may consider putting machine studs in the tee nuts and then threading on a nut onto it.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Or you can just do what a friend of mine did and just flip flop around his LS Glass with his GS-R one =D

I forgot how much the shop charged him to do that.

My Ghetto way has not yet failed me yet

i wish i can show you a picture of it but i cant seem to find it.
Its the middle plastic thing on this hatch panel (im sure you'll know what im talking about if you look at it)

i figured i can always get a replacement if i screwed up, but all i did was trimmed off the middle area a little so that the 3rd brake light will fit there and just put a screw + nut through it onto the 3rd brake light..

If i have time some time this weekend ill try to snap some pics of it if you want

Edit: i forgot.. My camera died.. Fail lol

·
Registered
76 Posts
epoxy? permatex part #84101 bonds ceramic, chrome, fabric, fiberglass, GLASS, hardplastic, METAL, ad rubber. up to 180 degrees (hopefully doesnt get that hot in your car) and 3400 psi.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Int3graLove on Oct/01/10 said:
Or you can just do what a friend of mine did and just flip flop around his LS Glass with his GS-R one =D

I forgot how much the shop charged him to do that.

My Ghetto way has not yet failed me yet

i wish i can show you a picture of it but i cant seem to find it.
Its the middle plastic thing on this hatch panel (im sure you'll know what im talking about if you look at it)

i figured i can always get a replacement if i screwed up, but all i did was trimmed off the middle area a little so that the 3rd brake light will fit there and just put a screw + nut through it onto the 3rd brake light..

If i have time some time this weekend ill try to snap some pics of it if you want

Edit: i forgot.. My camera died.. Fail lol
how do you take that off?!?!!? lol

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
^ Just start pulling it down from the taillights, then work your way to the front of the car. I never took mine fully off but it should be that hard. Judging by the clips above it looks like the last few come out horizontally rather than vertically. But just pry the first two sets off and look to be sure.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts