Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well inspection time is coming up again and I still have an R wing. Last time I Velcro'd up the brake light and it held for inspection but fell off. Time to make this permanent:

Weapons - purchased at Lowes and Advance Auto parts for the rearview mirror glue
From left to right (fender washers, some plugs, 10/24th screw pitch teenuts, matching machine screws 1/2" long, rearview mirror glue)

Measuring out, helps to have 2 tegs - one to measure off
MEASUREMENTS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
EXACTLY 1" from the bottom of the lowest stripe on both sides
EXACTLY 10" from center to center of the brake light holes.

You can see what I did, found center, then measured up from the bottom line 1" (dots) then 10" center to center (crosses). Marks are on the OUTSIDE of the car.

Next we have to prep the teenuts. I used 250grit sand paper and a flat surface

in-progress on the right

flatness achieved on the right, rinse them with water after (NO SOAP)

Next, follow the directions of the rearview glue to stick one side only down. After you've got the first one set for a minute place the other teenut into the other side hole in the brakelight itself, apply the glue and placing the first teenut into it's hole use the brake light as a guide to line up as good as you can with your mark on the other side. After it's set you're left with this:

Now we're going to let that set for 15 minutes or whatever your directions say. While that's setting up lets mod the exterior covers.

I clipped the leg off with pliers then took a dremel and got rid of any part sticking out:

They were attached with some black silicone

After that 15 minutes had elapsed so I bolted down the light, not UBER tight, just snug. I used teflon tape on the threads of the screws so they wouldn't back out with vibration

And put everything back:

The covers sit very low, almost flush. The OEM ones stick up considerably more:

Now there are 3

Update: It fell off. I have a pretty good idea why... I think I actually loaded those teenuts. I'm going to go look at my beater teg and see how tight that brake light sits against the glass. The glue stayed on the teenuts but popped right off the glass. I really think I just had the light too tight against the glass. I'm going to do some measuring and maybe place a spacer in there so the light isn't always trying to pull the nuts off the glass - just resting gently against it.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
impaul4 on Sep/29/10 said:
Pretty nice write up.

FYI, in MO you dont have to have a 3rd brake light. I passed inspections w/o mine because I got the R wing on my GSR too.

I didn't know that, either way it's there now.

Quote: Ramirez428 on Sep/29/10 I've wanted to just buy a rear glass with the 3rd light option, but I'd rather do this. Ohnestly my third light is held on by two suction cups and "one" maybe and that's a huge maybe falls off about every 6-8 months, so yours will last allot longer.
I saw your writeup. I wanted a more permanent solution. Thanks for the props :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Well even if you do not need it to pass inspection, it's always better to have the third brake light for safety sake. Good job on the install Casey..this is one of the best methods I've seen to put a third brake light on. Now I have to decide if I want to follow in your footsteps or just go with an ITR spoiler with a brake light.

Edit: Btw, I just now noticed that your newest avatar was Spike..I thought he looked familiar but couldn't place where he was from.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
MeltMan on Sep/29/10 said:
Quote: impaul4 on Sep/29/10Pretty nice write up.
FYI, in MO you dont have to have a 3rd brake light. I passed inspections w/o mine because I got the R wing on my GSR too.

True, in which it looks great. I would do this with the sticky adhesive or glue but my windows are tinted and if I ever had a change of heart it would mess the tint up.

Ive always wondered, could you drill through the glass if you wanted? or would that weaken the structure? i have glass drill bits but I didnt know if the hatch glass was structured for the holes or if its all the same holes and they drilled them during assembly.

·
Registered
200 Posts
i always wanted a 3rd brake light, i thought it looked nice for some reason lol.
plus, from what i know GSRs and Type Rs didnt have 3rd brake lights, so, we can now look different! lol

·
Registered
945 Posts
Wow very creative.. I used that small tab that you can take off on the hatch inside cover to mount my 3rd brake light. I drilled a screw + nut into it. So far its been over a year and its still holding up..

I like yours alot.. Looks OEM

·
Banned
9,126 Posts
Quote: MeltMan on Sep/29/10Quote: impaul4 on Sep/29/10Pretty nice write up. FYI, in MO you dont have to have a 3rd brake light. I passed inspections w/o mine because I got the R wing on my GSR too.

True, in which it looks great. I would do this with the sticky adhesive or glue but my windows are tinted and if I ever had a change of heart it would mess the tint up.

Ive always wondered, could you drill through the glass if you wanted? or would that weaken the structure? i have glass drill bits but I didnt know if the hatch glass was structured for the holes or if its all the same holes and they drilled them during assembly.

I wouldn't risk drilling through the glass. I've seen peoples hatch glass literally burst out of the frame in a billion pinky nail size pieces just from touching it with a screw driver wrong.

Good writeup as always Casey!

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
And I just bought some damn Velcro last week. Damn this looks MUCH nicer than that would have turned out. Time to go find this stuff, this brilliant!!

·
Registered
724 Posts
This is almost exactly the same method I came up with for my buddies third brake light install we did last year... sans tee-nuts (genius!). I used epoxy to secure some modified, fine threaded nuts on the interior portion of the glass instead. I did have problems with the bolts backing out due to vibrations, but some threadlocker red fixed that. Even after the mods I made, my brake light didn't quite fit flush with the glass due to the thickness of the nuts (again... teenuts for the win!). I think you've inspired me to buy another third brake light and try this on my wife's gsr.

btw I also used those plastic plugs on the exterior side of the glass. They've held up great, but after about a year in the sun they turned bright gray =/ In hindsight, I probably should have initially painted and clear coated them for protection.

Sweet, sweet install man...

(teenuts.... damnit! lol)

·
Registered
724 Posts
I would do this with the sticky adhesive or glue but my windows are tinted and if I ever had a change of heart it would mess the tint up.

Yeah there's pretty much no going back after doing this to tints. I actually first removed the portion of the tint where I glued the nuts to the glass. I was afraid that the weight of the third brake light would pull the tint away from the glass over time.

I'm not a glass expert by any means, but drilling through tempered glass just seems like a bad (read explosive) idea. I don't think the rear glass is "structured" any differently per say, but I think the brake light holes are part of the initial mold and aren't an afterthought. Either that, or the holes are cut in the glass after the mold but prior to the tempering process.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mikekh10a on Sep/29/10 said:
i always wanted a 3rd brake light, i thought it looked nice for some reason lol.
plus, from what i know GSRs and Type Rs didnt have 3rd brake lights, so, we can now look different! lol
Type-R's certainly did come with a 3rd light just like what I added.

only GSR and tegs with the spoiler option didn't get the brake light. Everyone else did including the R.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Pretty nice write up.

I don't think your right on that, I failed the inspection because my 3rd break light was out and I live in St. Louis Mo.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
POHRacing on Sep/29/10 said:
I'm not a glass expert by any means, but drilling through tempered glass just seems like a bad (read explosive) idea. I don't think the rear glass is "structured" any differently per say, but I think the brake light holes are part of the initial mold and aren't an afterthought. Either that, or the holes are cut in the glass after the mold but prior to the tempering process.

You absolutely CANNOT drill tempered glass or it will explode in a million zillion tiny pieces.

Quote: epyon314 on Sep/30/10 I don't think your right on that, I failed the inspection because my 3rd break light was out and I live in St. Louis Mo.
It may be one of those things where if it's there and burned out it's a fail but if it's not there at all it passes... not sure. Not willing to risk having to do it again. It's just too much hassle to drive back and forth trying to get passed. Just want it to be a one-shot deal.

·
Registered
724 Posts
MeltMan on Sep/30/10 said:
Thanks man. Just trying to show everyone the RIGHT way to do things. Too many ghetto Hondas rolling around
Amen... that's what I like about your DIY/mod threads man, nice and clean.

"Do it right or do it again (and again, and again)"

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update: It fell off. I have a pretty good idea why... I think I actually loaded those teenuts. I'm going to go look at my beater teg and see how tight that brake light sits against the glass. The glue stayed on the teenuts but popped right off the glass. I really think I just had the light too tight against the glass. I'm going to do some measuring and maybe place a spacer in there so the light isn't always trying to pull the nuts off the glass

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I went the even more ghetto route than you did and tried to just use mirror glue directly on the brake light and then on the glass with the same result. I wish they had some sort of "super glass glue" that wouldn't come off the glass side, because that was exactly what happened to me too. It stuck fine on the light but wouldn't stay put on the glass.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts