Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry about how big the pics are but i did it for the quality. Notice the liquid dripping from my exhaust what is that is that bad? i know i need an exhaust bad

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
the liquid isnt bad its normal u get that on every muffler but holly sh*t is it time for a new muffler

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i know i need a whole new exhaust soon but i need cash

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
check your local junk yard you might be able too find a stock one ,are jsut post a new topic like "wtb exhaust" or something good luck

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dont know why its corroded like that because the lady i bought it from says she garaged it always. *Shrugs* it has 143k miles on it

·
Registered
312 Posts
yea...my muffler was like that until i got it replaced last summer. had a few big holes right through it. this ricer kid at my school said that it sounded good like that...lmfao.

it doesn't really matter if it was garaged. salt and other crap gets on it from the road...and clings to the bottom of your car and slowly eats away at it.

she may have garaged it, but i doubt she ever washed the underside of it.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
exhaust needs to be replaced soooon....and DANG! I would NOT want to touch that suspension...all the bolts are probly sieged up.

·
Registered
281 Posts
DEviOS117 on Mar/01/04 said:
That is one corroded muffler! I have never seen anything like that before!
Take a picture of ANY older car and you will see corrosion on the pic on the suspension and brakes and such....take a look at it in person and u wont see it as much.. the flash brings it out a lot! but that;s not a lot, its normal...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yeah take it to get it fixed. You must live in some salty or real bad weather. Also I don't know if anybody else saw but is your head on the LCA to shock bolt gone?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Nah... Your exhaust is fine!
Its normal for an exhaust to rot from the inside out garaged or not. The acids and other corrosive chemicals from the engine will eat the hell out of your pipes and muffler if it sits alot.
My car sat last winter and was only driven two or three times for about 3.5 monthes and whaddaya know, I needed new pipes.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
The tailpipe rust is due, in part, to a design problem. For the gen3 Integras they fixed it by having a very short tailpipe connected to the muffler.

Explanation:

The liquid is likely diluted H2SO4 (sulfuric acid) that is present in exhaust gas condensate. In order for your exhaust system to last without succumbing to extensive corrosion, it must get hot enough for long enough to evaporate all of the condensation that is present.

The gen1 and gen2 Integras had fairly long tailpipes that wouldn't get hot enough to evaporate all the condensation. In addition, moisture from within the exhaust system is blown out into the tailpipe where it tends to cool the tailpipe and slows the evaporation further. With the gen3 short pipe directly attached to the muffler, the heat from the muffler conducts to the tailpipe, more easily evaporating the moisture.

Even if a car is kept in a garage, if it is not driven on long enough trips to totally heat the exhaust system and evaporate the condensation, the acid will sit there eating at the muffler and pipes with holes as the result.

Now you know.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
AlvinHuyN on Mar/01/04 said:
exhaust needs to be replaced soooon....and DANG! I would NOT want to touch that suspension...all the bolts are probly sieged up.
why wouldnt you touch the suspension? i dont think its that bad

1 - 20 of 21 Posts