Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is a long story, basically I've had my car for 8 years. It's a '98 gsr and has always been a really healthy engine. Recently time caught up with the car and we have done extensive repairs in the last year. Including radiator and all radiator hoses, motor mounts, clutch and flywheel, and almost a complete suspension restoration. So in the last year it has sat for pretty much the better part of 6 months. After the suspension restoration, which we finished about 2 weeks ago... the car was running great and all was good. But then suddenly after sitting for about 12 hours, it would not start. It has a brand new battery and I was getting accessory power but no crank. We replaced the main relay and the ignition fuse (and basically all other fuses under the dash) and it started a few more times that same day so we thought it was fixed. But then after driving across town and back, we started smelling a sort of burning smell coming from the engine bay. Pulled over, turned off the car, couldn't figure out where the smell was coming from. And then after being off for 5 mins, it would not start again (even after being jumped) and it had to be towed home. We have checked/cleaned all the grounds and pulled the ECU, it looks like it's taken on some water (corrosion on the outside) but internally looks pretty much all good. Right now all that happens when I try to turn it on, is all dash lights come on (not dimming at all) and we can hear the fuel pump continuously priming which I have learned it is only supposed to prime for 2 seconds? So obviously it is priming way too much. But no crank at all. Please help me!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't seen any mention of looking at & testing the starter.
We have felt like it's been a different component because there is not the usual click sound that is associated with a bad starter. Besides the fact that there have been no issues with it leading up to the car randomly not starting. It's definitely on the list of potential issues, just wanted to see if anyone had any additional suggestions.

·
Registered
247 Posts
If you can push start it (with the ignition in the on position get it rolling in neutral and up to 5 mph, put it in 1st or 2nd with the clutch in and pop the clutch while it's rolling) check to see if the little rubber stopper on the clutch pedal arm that presses the clutch safety switch has broken off. Lots of people will find chunks of it on their floor board.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I edited the post with the picture. The stopper you need to look for is the one for the clutch interlock switch. It is the switch that gets pressed when you push the pedal to the floor, not the switch pressed when the pedal is raised. If it is not being pressed when you try to start the car you will get the no crank symptom that you are describing. On my 97 the car could still be push started.

Alternatively, if you didn't have a hill near by or anyone to help push start it, you could press the switch manually or jumper (close the circuit) the harness connector that plugs into the clutch interlock switch to test. Triple check to make sure the car is NOT IN GEAR first. If it is in gear it will lurch when you turn the key.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I edited the post with the picture. The stopper you need to look for is the one for the clutch interlock switch. It is the switch that gets pressed when you push the pedal to the floor, not the switch pressed when the pedal is raised. If it is not being pressed when you try to start the car you will get the no crank symptom that you are describing. On my 97 the car could still be push started.

Alternatively, if you didn't have a hill near by or anyone to help push start it, you could press the switch manually or jumper (close the circuit) the harness connector that plugs into the clutch interlock switch to test. Triple check to make sure the car is NOT IN GEAR first. If it is in gear it will lurch when you turn the key.
Thank you! We will definitely give this a try!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts