Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one used this or something like it for winter storage?
https://www.amazon.com/Post-Battery-Master-Disconnect-Switch/dp/B001N729FS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1483527825&sr=8-2&keywords=parasitic+draw+tester

I've obviously got some draw, I'm guessing it's my alarm, so I have a reminder on my phone to crank it every Saturday, but sometimes I forget.
By the time I remember, it's usually completely dead. Currently, I just have the battery disconnected, but this switch looks much easier.
I never drive my car after they start throwing salt down on the roads, some people even make fun of me not driving it the rain. Looking at you @MorningZ :biggrin:
Keeping a yellow car clean is a task I wish on no one.
This year in particular, the last time I actually drove it was the annual Dragon trip due to surgery I recently had.

Next winter: 16' Indoor CarCapsule - CarCapsule

·
Premium Member
752 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about a battery tender for a while. My cable connections are so large, that with the trickle charger that I have or buying a tender, I would have to disconnect the cables regardless. The clamps are too small. So every time I want to drive it, either way, I have to connect/un-connect. If I buy that switch it sounds like all I would need to do is pop the hood and turn a knob, vice versa to park it for a while. I bought a new optima before the dragon this past run. After we got back home it sat for about 2 weeks before cranking it, the optima was already dead. :eek:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
If you went with a "battery tender", you could wire the pigtail into the main feed for the ABS Fuse Box... positive to where the main wire comes off the battery (should be room under the same screw as that main feed wire)... and negative to one of the many bracket / ground screws in that area... that's exactly how I had my on board initially wired before I gutted the ABS and before I rewired a few things, worked like a champ.

Personally, I think would look "cleaner" than having that big switch hanging off your positive post, just my $0.02.

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Just disconnect it.

That's what I do. No reason to leave it connected since you don't need it. It always starts up for me in the spring. The first year or two during storage I would start it and drive it around a bit in my apartment building underground parking. Then after some discussion on here I stopped. Something that was pointed out to me. The dry starts are the hardest parts of storage. All the oil is drained away and not lubricating anything for the first couple of moments when you start it. It's better to only do it once when you finally take it out. So the weekly starts on the engine are harder on it than no start until driving weather again. Either that or manually crank it to get some fluids moved is what I was told.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Battery tender is the best option in my mind. I typically remove the battery in my car for the winter and stash it in the basement and then throw a motorcycle charger on it for a day or two a month to maintain the charge. Do the same with boat battery sitting right next to it and things are nice and charged for spring..

The battery tenders do have the hard wire plug that should be easy to install and just leave there when not in use.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I agree with the 2 others before me. I've been storing my car every winter for many years and I just take the battery out and charge it up if needed every few weeks, no need to start the car. Come spring I change the oil and it's all good.

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
I do the opposite with the oil change. I figure if the oil is going to sit all winter I'd rather change it first so it's sitting there cleaner.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You really want to get the old oil out in the fall and have it sit with fresh oil in the engine. As the engine runs, the oil deteriorates and picks up all the garbage in the engine- not good to have that sit in the engine all winter.

I would also disconnect the battery or add a battery tender/battery maintainer. I typically pull my boat and race batteries and store in the basement and throw a motorcycle battery charger on each for a couple days a month to keep them fresh.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts