Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrite, i have a Audiobahn System,

A1200Q Audiobahn sub(1400Wmax and 700Wrms)
and a audiobahn amp (i think 500max and 200RMS)

my question CAN I RUN THIS SAFELY, or do i have to worry about cranking the volume and my sub going BOOM,

If this will not work, what is the minimum Wattage i can run for an amp to feed my sub

Thanks for the help

Alex

·
Registered
413 Posts
Regardless of how much power you have running to the sub, you can still ruin them if you turn the volume up too high and play the sub past its limits. once you hear distortion in the sub you need to make sure you back the volume off or your not going to have a working sub very long. The more power you give the sub the cleaner and louder the sub will be able to play.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
reflexnt on Apr/01/04 said:
turn the gains down and you'll be fine
you do have a capacitor, right? lol
A cap isn't needed, it can help but he by no means needs one to run the system and have it work good.

Quote: spets on Mar/31/04 sure you can run this safely.. don't have enough wattage to blow the sub.
BS.
Know your facts before you post info on the boards AS a fact. You feed an subs power from an amp that is working to hard and the amp starts to clip the signal you bet you can blow the sub. So make sure you have your facts down.

Bottom line for his question. Will it work and work fine (make SURE that the gain is set correctly). YES. Will it push the subs to their fullest potential. NO

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
born2board69 on Mar/31/04 said:
Alrite, i have a Audiobahn System,

A1200Q Audiobahn sub(1400Wmax and 700Wrms)
and a audiobahn amp (i think 500max and 200RMS)

my question CAN I RUN THIS SAFELY, or do i have to worry about cranking the volume and my sub going BOOM,

If this will not work, what is the minimum Wattage i can run for an amp to feed my sub

Thanks for the help

Alex
No you cant run this safely.

That amp is so underated for that woofer, that you're going to try and push that amp way to hard to get any respectable noise out of the driver. As a result the amps going to clip badly and as anyone will tell you, clipping kills drivers.

People think that this is because when an amp clips it produces more power. This is true, but it has more to do with the fact that when an amp clips, the signal it produces does not move the cone nearly as much as it should. As a result, you still have plenty current flowing through the coil, but since the driver isnt moving as much as it should, all that extra power just becomes heat.

Disclaimer
:
I say you cant run this safely, well you can, but you'll have to be very very conscious of not playing it loud whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmm now im nervous to run the sub/amp, only thing is, the car is actually a project car wit my dad and the guy at futureshop told him that it would work fine, So now i try and tell him this, and he will not believe me

Is there anywhere on the net with some facts or something that would show what i need to power my sub SAFELY for both my sub and amp

·
Registered
379 Posts
Like they were saying it will work ok and safely, as long as you keep the amp under safe operating levels. Now the problem is actually keeping it under safe levels. Definatley not safe to crank up and listen to some BASS mix cd, or anything, but if lightly turned up to enhance frequency response of music then should work fine.

·
Registered
152 Posts
[/QUOTE]
No you cant run this safely.

That amp is so underated for that woofer, that you're going to try and push that amp way to hard to get any respectable noise out of the driver. As a result the amps going to clip badly and as anyone will tell you, clipping kills drivers.

People think that this is because when an amp clips it produces more power. This is true, but it has more to do with the fact that when an amp clips, the signal it produces does not move the cone nearly as much as it should. As a result, you still have plenty current flowing through the coil, but since the driver isnt moving as much as it should, all that extra power just becomes heat.

Disclaimer
:
I say you cant run this safely, well you can, but you'll have to be very very conscious of not playing it loud whatsoever.
[/QUOTE]
*sigh*
1st off we don't know what enclosure he's running the sub in, if it's a ported or a bandpass then he wont have to push it with a crazy amount of wattage to get great results............

2nd: on any Integra you should run a cap, call it experience after having done so many systems in my last g3 teg, the alternators in hondas have never been a strongpoint...............do what you can to lessen the strain to them otherwise look forward to replacing it
but then I pushed 2 mmats amps and he's pushing an audiobahn...........

·
Registered
176 Posts
WOW.... This has been gone over so many times. This setup will work fine. With any stereo system you will HAVE to tune it so it sounds the way you want without damaging the equipment. If the amp has its gains set to a reasonable level all will be fine. If when bass hits and you hear a crack or distortion noise then make sure the decks output levels are sending the amp a clear signal (turn the bass down on the deck) and up slightly on the gain to correct. Do this until you have a good sounding system ohh, turn loudness or any other tech to increase the volume off on your deck while you tune your system.

Alot of people put waay too much stock into wattage ratings, don't be one of them.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, I will be running my sub in a box like the 1 in morning Z's Custom Trunk enclosure, and i dont think i will be running a cap...should I?

But thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
no you don't need a cap I run one for the amps sake but it doesn't help the alternator at all not sure why he said that
hmmm how a cap works....

It's basically A LOT of layers of metal and a layer of insulation (there is more to it but this is a simple explanation). This allows it to charge and discharge VERY fast. You use them for a system because an amp can need a surge of energy to hit a deep note that would take a fraction of a second for the normal battery to take it's chemical reaction....to be able to produce the extra voltage so the cap fills in for that short time till the picks up untill the battery's chemical reaction has taken place. So it doesn't help the charging system of the car...tired of that rumor
it DOES help the amp get the voltage it needs untill everything catches up. So it helps the amp not the alternator/charging anything.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
In theory it will help the alt. it is connected in parallel to the charging system. when the bass hits power is drawn from the cap then when the voltage regulator catches up the alt charges the cap back up for the next bass note.
It has nothing to do with batteries and chemical reactions. unless your voltage is dropping really low all the battery does is get charged. a cap is capable to get charged to whatever the alt can give it (14.4V) so current will flow from the cap when ever the voltage falls below what the cap is charged to.

The system will work fine as long as you install and tune it correctly(like any other system) and you dont need a cap for a 200 watt amp IMHO. i have used them before and noticed no difference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts