Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, question

im going to be getting some parts (front, rear bumber, hatch and side skirts) of my teg colour matched and painted, my question is, if i get the guy to clear coat the whole car after he has finished painting the parts, will that:

1. remove swirls and other imperfections in the remaining parts that arnt painted and

2.help to bring the newly painted parts and existing parts together?

thanks

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
It really all depends on the condition of your paint and such, I'd ask the body shop..clearcoat is only clearcoat though, it's not going to fix the problems that lay underneath..best bet is to wetsand and or buff that bad larry.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
condition of paint is good, i just kinda thought about it then... what im really wondering is has anyone had this done, and how did it turn out?

·
Registered
903 Posts
you can wetsand it and buff it.

if they are just slight swirls you can just buff them out.

ive wetsanded and buffed pretty crappy looking paint. and it will come out like new. but you have to be carefull not to go through the clearcoat because then it will be dull.

if you want to you can go buy a cheaper buffer (think you can pick them up for like $100) and some different compounds and pads and make it look like new.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks yeah ive read the articles on detailing and such, so i know about the wet sanding and buffing out swirls. My thinking is, if the car is going to be in the shop, is a full clear coat respray beneficial? ignore the fact that buffing and wet sanding may yield results.

·
Registered
903 Posts
i wouldnt recoat it... just my opinion. your still going tohave to wetsand and buff it if you clear it again. if you just spray on some more clearcoat you will still see all the marks but maybe worse...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ah, ok so the guy would have to strip the existing clear coat back to the paint, then reapply a new coat, wetsand...buff... = more $$$

thanks folks

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Clear coat is just clear paint. Whatever damage is on the surface prior to the clear coat will still be there when you are done. Its like how laquering a table doesn't take out any of the scratches in the wood. The surface may be smoother now, but all the scratches are still under there and still very visible. I would be very surprised if you found a shop that agreed to clear coat the entire vehicle without proper preperation.

Any color fading or anything like that isn't the clear coat anyway. Its the paint underneath. Spraying more clear coat on isn't going to do a thing for the color problem. Definitely get it polished out instead. Wetsanding may not even be necessary. That's a pretty extreme way of getting something done. A Porter Cable and the right level of abrasive compound should take out those minor swirls with ease.

·
Registered
798 Posts
if you redo your clear coat it will definitely take away most if not all swirl marks and depeding on what imperfections you have, they might go away. you gotta color sand down the are where the imperfections are to get the surface of the paint smooth, and then you clear coat that, and then buff it, paint would look like new, that is oNLY IF the car was painted by PPG or Dupont. other paints wont look good color sanded.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Keep in mind clearing over unprepped clear coat isn't going to stick very well. Eventually it will end up peeling or flaking off.

In order for it to be done right, you would have to sand down the clear coat and redo it. At that point you might as well sand the whole car down, and do a full repaint.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Somewhat similar situation for me concerning faded paint. My front end had a harsh disagreement with a deer a couple of years ago, and I got a new front bumper and hood. The paint was bled over into the fenders, so my front cap was a gorgeous new red, but the rest of the car was varying degrees of faded red/pink. I remember I took my car to get the oil changed the day after I got the car back from the shop, and a girl came out to my car to get my mileage, and as soon as she saw the car she said 'Hey! Nice color car....wait.....did you just get the front painted?'.

That was when I started reading up on what I could do to improve the appearance of the paint. 2 years later, and after advice from the guys here and at autopia, the rest of the car looks 100% better. Now the rest of the car looks almost as good as the front that was repainted. I can tell the different, but its terribly slight. No one since that girl has ever commented on noticing a difference.

Moral of the story: Get the right products, and you can likely do wonders on the paint.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts