Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im thinkin about goin and buyin a claybar tomorrow to remove some of that "industrial fallout" on my car.. will it also remove the waterspots on my hood?? Damn those waterspots..

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Nope. Clay doesn't do much for water spots. Some Meguiar's #9 should help a bit though. Pretty much any paint cleaner should help. Try using Vinegar first. Vinegar works wonders on waterspots. If that doesn't work then you need to look for some kind of paint cleaner. If the waterspots still don't come off then you are going to have to use a machine with a little more abrasive stuff. There are other steps beyond that if you find out that the water spots are etched into your clear coat <eek>. Try the vinegar first before you get too worried though. :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah , thanks.. im not too worried about the water spots.. i mean yea they look ugly but if nothings gonna take them off then o well they stay.and be uglyill try the vinigar thing ..

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
No, but a claybar HAS been known to clear acne.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Vinegar hasn't done much of anything else for me except take off waterspots. You'll want to use something else to get the wax off. Dawn diswashing liquid is the best at doing that. You could mix the Vinegar with the Dawn and kill two birds with one stone if you want. I've done that before. If the waterspots still don't come off then try using just straight vinegar. I've never seen it do anything for bug guts though. I use Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover for that.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Sometimes you want to start all over with a new product. Some things can't be layered over wax. I've got several coats of Platinum's polymer sealant under my wax. If I want more of the polymer then I have to strip it all off and start from scratch. Speaking of scratches, if you get a bunch of swirls in your car and you want to polish them out, then you'll have to remove the wax in that case too. Generally you shouldn't need to strip your car more than twice a year. I do it in the spring and in the fall. I've done it a couple times other than that this year because of some testing on different products. If you are waxing you car every 2 months or so then there shouldn't be a need to strip anything off before applying new coats. If you wait longer than that then the wax will have already worn off all by itself.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
After I wash my car with dawn and then clay my car, will it be necessary to wash my car with dawn again? Or can I just use some regular car soap?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
and can somebody please post a pic of a waterspot? I am afraid I have never seen one of those.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi, I got like water spot's all over my hood, anyone know how to get rid of it? I know you can use vineger, but how do I use it? Pour it all over the hood then wipe with a microfiber towel? Thanks! Please help!

·
Registered
711 Posts
yea just throw the the vinigar on a rag and wipe back and fourt. And i dont think u need to wash ur car with dawn 2 times, just once to get the wax off, then clay bar, then reg soap. Remember dawn also strips ur clearcoat if theres no wax on your car, so dont use it everytime u wash ur car.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Quote: SpeeDDemon69 on Dec/02/03 Will vineger strip clearcoat? Also what does a quick detailer do and what is its purpose? Thanks!
[/QUOTE]

i've not had any results of the clear being stripped from vinegar. I wouldnt recommend that to be done all the time either. just in dire situations. quick detailer can be used for multiple things. some people use it to clean bird poop... others to spot clean... others use it to dampen their applicators pads for sealants or whatever.

·
Registered
298 Posts
It all really depends on how deep the water spots have etched into the paint. I have waterspots on my hood too; I've tried vinegar - didn't work. I've tried cleaner wax - didn't work. A buddy of mine told me that I'll probbaly need my hood wet sanded b/c the spots are too deep into the paint already.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
sUpMaAhChInX on Dec/02/03 said:
It all really depends on how deep the water spots have etched into the paint. I have waterspots on my hood too; I've tried vinegar - didn't work. I've tried cleaner wax - didn't work. A buddy of mine told me that I'll probbaly need my hood wet sanded b/c the spots are too deep into the paint already.
Yeah you're pretty much right. Most deeper water spots will need polishing whether by hand or machine. Some are etched so far that they cannot be fully fixed. I would suggest using Meguiar's Products from our Sponsor. Dual Action Cleaner Polish and Swirl Free Polish seem to do the tricks for me.

Check out this section on TI

You can learn a lot from searching.Auto detailing can go to levels you will not believe, but to get those water spots, you will need a polish. Best of luck.

I'm sure Anthony or Ross will elaborate on this, but my eyes hurt from looking at this computer all day and I'm not in the mood to go into crazy depth

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
There are a couple urban legends that need to be dispelled here. Number one is that Dawn will not strip your clear coat. If Dawn was that strong then you wouldn't be able to use it to wash dishes. If it can wash glazed plates without damaging them then what makes you think that it will strip the clear coat. The famed Zaino that people so fanatically use even direct you to begin the process with Dawn. The instruction manual of your Acura Integra even suggests washing the car with dishwashing detergent. Now, why would your auto manual suggest doing something that would strip the clear coat since that would be covered under warranty because you were just following the manufacturers suggested procedure? Dawn may remove some of the plasticizers in the paint and "dry it out", so to speak, but it certianly won't strip it if you just use it once in a while. I've never seen any proof in 6 years of professional detailing to support any claim that Dawn damages paint. Its mostly theoretical and would take many many many washes over a great deal of time to prove. I suppose I could start now and perhaps have the results by 2010 or so.

Vinegar won't strip the clear coat either. Vinegar is actually a pretty decent car care product. It is just acidic enough to attack the calcium deposits left in the waterspots and that is what makes it so effective. Its also great to use if you are removing concrete spatter on your car. Vinegar is amazing. For really bad water spots on your windows you might want to try something like muratic acid and some wheel cleaners, but never use something that strong on your paint. Not a good idea. Muratic acid can be found at most pool cleaning supply stores or maybe even at places like Lowes. Its good for glass but not paint. Leave it to vinegar for waterspots on paint.

I had a car that I had to do back when I first started detailing that had crazy bad waterspots. The owner had left his car parked in the sprinklers all day on Thursday and on Friday it sat in a sunny parking lot all day. He showed it to me on Friday afternoon concerned that he ruined his car. I came over on saturday armed with my Meguiar's Cleaner Wax thinking that it would do the trick. It didn't even scratch the waterspots. I tried washing with dawn. that didn't work either. It wasn't until later that day that I remembered about the vinegar. I applied it to the sponge (I was pretty new at the whole detailing thing so don't hold that against me
) and then wiped that across the spots. Viola!! The waterspots came off like I was cleaning a smudged TV screen. It took a bit of vinegar to do the trick and it had to soak into the spots for a second or two, but they came right off. That was because they hadn't etched the clear coat yet. I had other experiences where even vinegar didn't work because the clear was etched and the clear coat had to be cut back to fix it. If the spots are more than a week old and it has been hot and sunny out and the car was in the sun most of the time, then I can nearly guarantee you that the spots are deeply etched and it will take something along the lines of Diamond Cut to take them out. I've tried going at waterspots with DACP and that doesn't work so well. Usually the spots are pretty set in there and the clear has to be cut deeper than a milimeter to get them out.

Anyway, that is my rant on waterspots and the effective methods of removing them. Austin and Sean have it right. Always use the right tool for the job. If Dawn and Vinegar don't work on your waterspots then they need to be polished out. You could try something like Meguiar's #9 or 3M Swirl Mark Remover by hand and see if they are abrasive enough to work on the spots, but chances are that you'll need an abrasive stronger than those two to dent the spots. Something like 3M Finesse It II or Meguiar's DACP would be the product you would probably start with. That's just me though. If anyone else knows of a knock out way to deal with waterspots then let me know. I'm sure I'll have to deal with them all over again next year on the same idiot customers who won't keep their cars away from sprinklers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts