Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i started my day by running errands, probably was driving around for like an hour or so...and the idle was fine. then i went to fill up gas, and like 5 minutes later everytime i took my foot off the gas the car would idle like at 1200, then start bouncing up and down between like 15-1600 and 1000, up and down, up and down...kinda fast too. it would bounce maybe 6 or 7 times then settle around 1100 or so. i would push gas and start driving again, and when i stopped it did it all over again. it's very irritating. what could possibly happen that quick that would cause my idle to just get all funky like that, and what can i do to fix it?

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
howzit in hawaii bro? That's crazy about the accident on H1 today... anyway, I'm thinking vacuum leak? get a vacuum gauge for like $25 or borrow a friends.

edit: 4 people were killed when 2 DSMs were street racing and crashed into a cone trunk on the freeway so everyone knows what I am talking about.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Same thing has been happening to me lately as well, but it happens when i first start my car up. it will go up and down, and every time i stop it will continue to do so until my car has warmed up. I could use some info on this as well.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think the high idle when starting it first thing in the morning is normal. but this happened after almost 1 hour of driving...not to mention it's not cold in hawaii to need to be doing it that much on my car. it just confuses me because it happened so sudden.

meconfu5ed - wassup man, u originally from hawaii? traffic was freakin horrible this morning. freeway was closed ewa bound...but going townbound, took like 2 1/2 hours to get from kapolei to aiea, fukin rubberneckers!

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
does it do it when you first start up also? when it starts to rev down and then all of a sudden rev up and down between like 1200 and 700 rpm? if it does then it is doing the same thing mine is. i took it to a garage and they said it is the throttle position sensor. the problem is that my friend checked and it must be made out of gold or something because it was like $200. check a salvage yard you can get one for like $30-$50. that is what i paid

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check your Fast idle. It is a sensor that detects that the coolant is cold and it makes your car idle higher. Havent figured out what makes them go out, but when they do your idle goes up and down. It is located close to the throttle body on the backside. Its is pretty much just a spring and a diaphram that controls the sensor, pretty simple. Take it to a shop and have them check to see if that fixes it. Let me know

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think it's the o2 sensor! I drive around and when my air/fuel gadge goes all the way down my car starts acting funny...like what he said..rpm bounceing around. Then my check engine lite comes on. then I turn my car off...wait a few minutes....then I start my car agian. Then my car drives fine! It happends on and off.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
keep guessin'...

contaminated fuel would cause a rough idle but since you're bouncing around you better enter "fluctuating idle" in the search as a topic and eliminate the ones related to cold starts since you were already warmed up...of course, if you were really on the ball, you'd go to www.helminc.com and spend 60 bucks and get one of their service manuals which has a whole 5 page section on how to figure out your idle problem....but let me help you along your way and help you get started: four letters...I A C V.

The FITV is for cold starts...he's been driving around.

Both Common Topics in the Gen 3 and Performance forums have idle threads so you don't have to search but hey, who uses those right?

not bad for a howlie eh?...

PS to JK: fuel filter!!!! LOL

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
bad idle:
change your plugs if old or re-gap them in new
check the spark plug wires- replace?
check vacuum (as I noted above)
check your ignition timing
poor engine compression in cylinder(s)

edit- I didn't see you edited your post MD... I'm hapa haolie
"try change dakine"

·
Registered
93 Posts
if mines idle up a down below 1000 is that normal?

meconfu5ed u on fh too yah? im BluTeg84.

fyi there was only 1 dsm. one was a gen 2 eclipse and the other was a gen 3.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
idling like fluctuating is not normal. if sometimes it is at around 1000 and sometimes 750 depending on engine heat and accesories on- I would say that is normal.

I saw that - everyone was saying 2dsms when I first read it... yeah- I'm meconfu5ed of FH as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts