Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read alot "dont buy that bumper its fiberglass" and I was wondering why?

Many performance machines use fiberglass throughout them. Corvettes have always incorperated a fiberglass body. I have a 19' boat with a 350 in it getting ~385 hp, and its hull and frame are made 100% with fiberglass. Laid corectly fiberglass is extremely strong, durrable, and will last forever, our oem bodys will not I remind you. Another plus to fiberglass is it is extremely easy to repair, and resurface a $20 bucket of ressin and a little matt will go a long ways in repairing a body part like a bumper.

I do agree that many of the bodykits made are replica kits made with poor quality and terrible fitment. However my question is not relating to that. Is there a reason besides fitment that I am missing when it comes to fiberglass body pannels?

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
i know a big gripe with the fiberglass front lips versus urethane is that on a bottom out they will crack instead of flex, but other than what you mentioned about poor fitment i dont really understand it either...i too think fiberglass is a wonderful material, and wish my door panels were made of it, that way i wouldnt have 8 gazillion dings fro inconsiderate a$$holes

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
JustTegIt on Mar/24/04 said:
i know a big gripe with the fiberglass front lips versus urethane is that on a bottom out they will crack instead of flex, but other than what you mentioned about poor fitment i dont really understand it either...i too think fiberglass is a wonderful material, and wish my door panels were made of it, that way i wouldnt have 8 gazillion dings fro inconsiderate a$$holes
Instead of dings, you'd have cracks.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With it cracking, I attribute that alot to poor quality, you can change the rigidity(sp?) of fiberglass by using additives in the resin, I made a batery box out of fiberglass using 3 layers of mat and it took throwing it off the roof of my 2 story house and beating it with a sledge hammer to break it.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
hondadriver on Mar/24/04 said:
Laid corectly fiberglass is extremely strong, durrable, and will last forever, our oem bodys will not I remind you.
You answered your own question. If laid correctly . . . not to mention the bendable properties of it. Urethane tends to bend at impact where as fiberglass (laid incorrectly) tends to crack or break off.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
hondadriver on Mar/24/04 said:
are you saying then that most fiberglass kits are poor quality? And that is the reason for peoples issues with them?
some reasons why they are poor quality is because of the worksmanship itself...some companies will do a half ass job and the results are improper fitments, too thin...but if you compare it to a company like grouddesigns2000 they use fiberglass but they know how to use it right and their quality and fitments are great...so again, it's all about the manufacturers standards...

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
Yeah, any knockoff of a quality manufacture, such as bomex, mugen, c-west, ground designs 2000 and ect. will usually have some type of quality and fitment problems. I think some guy on here bought a rear lip that was 2 inches too short on each side.

I personally would use a authentic fiberglass bumper even though it's not as durable as urathane.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I have no complaints with fiberglass. I have the Bomex body kit on my car and the fiberglass is just as durable as my friends wings west kit on his civic!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
yeah talk to djgibb he was the one who had fitment issues with his azect rear lip....and that was after he swapped his 98+ rear bumper for the 94-97 just get that rear lip

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
i personally hate fiberglass because my friend in a prelude had a wings west fiberglass kit that shattered into small pieces when a kid backed into him going 3 mph. he now has a urethane kit and he has gotten in numerous fender benders with no damge or scratches what so ever. after that i was sold with the urethane kits. he has ran into curbs, hit other cars, and even bottom out pretty bad and nothing has happened because it just flexed.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Flex is bad for paint though...it'll cause spider-web cracks, if the paint gets real old, or just cause the flex additive couldn't bare the damage--but thats WAY better than having it cracked in half or shattered into peices.

Maybe I should get Urathane doors...might not be very good for car accidents, but will be AWESOME for door dings. :(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts