Team Integra Forums banner

Why 205/50/15? Not 195/55/15?

15K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  Macura01 
#1 ·
Im getting ready to buy new rims from Tirerack.com (Kosei K1 15x7) and they recomend 195/55/15 for a tire size.

After doing some searching it seems alot of people are using 205/50/15 sized tires. Is this a better performing for most types of driving, or am I missing something?

#2 ·
Tire Rack will always recomend stock tire size so it doesn't throw anything off. Thats about standard practice for everyone these days.

When I bought my Falken Azenis 215/45/16 from Discount Tire Direct, they called me at home just to confirm if it was the tire I wanted because its nowhere close to what I'm suppost to have for a tire size on a 16" rim.

Buy what you want. All they are doing is just recommending it to you.

#3 ·
The main reason we go to 205/50's is because the tire selection in 195/55 isn't as good. The only tires I'd really want in 195/55 are the Potenza RE010's or Toyo Proxes T1-S but both of them are simply too expensive. But there are a number of tires I do like and are affordable in 205/50, so I choose to go with that size instead.

#4 ·
wider/lower profile is usually always going to be better for handling.

Reason for going for a wider rim is to run wider rubber, as you couldn't really run much wider than 195 on the stock 6" rims.

Of course, someone more knowledgable than me will prove me wrong now.

Sorry for off-topic, but anyone got a test review of the T1-S?

#6 ·
silvertegGS on Apr/22/04 said:
215's fit in our wheel wells?? don't you rub like a mother when you turn hard?
Haha! Thats because you automatically assume that everyone has a very low car. I'm barely dropped. It works without rubbing on my setup.

#8 ·
SurferX on Apr/23/04 said:
The main reason we go to 205/50's is because the tire selection in 195/55 isn't as good. The only tires I'd really want in 195/55 are the Potenza RE010's or Toyo Proxes T1-S but both of them are simply too expensive. But there are a number of tires I do like and are affordable in 205/50, so I choose to go with that size instead.
Actually I was orginally going to get the RE010's...But when I saw your post about the Kuhmo MX tires, I looked into them, and thats when I noticed the whole tire size thing. Are the MX better then the RE010's...? I mean if they are, for $40 less a tire its a hell of a deal.

#9 ·
fyberoptik on Apr/22/04 said:
Some food for thought---you're adding ~3 lbs. of unsprung weight to each wheel when you go from 195/55/15 to 205/50/15 rubber.
This is true, however 205/50's are smaller in diameter than 195/55, which raises the final drive ratio/torque multiplication factor and moves the weight slightly closer to the center. So ultimately I think it evens out.

Although if you are using a standard Dynojet chassis dyno, the gear/torque factors are converted to a 1:1 ratio, so it may show a slight power decrease. I ran at the California Speedway dragstrip with both 195/55 and 205/50 and I pulled the exact same 1/4 mile times.

Dominick, right now I'm liking the Kumho MX's better than my Potenza RE010's, and that's saying alot. I really did like those tires, but these just impress me more every day. They are going to really get put to the test at the T-I road racing day in August though, so I'll have the final story then.

#10 ·
Well, I'm thinking more about things he might think about on the street, not on the track. Adding weight is going to make the suspension less reactive on bumpy roads, but then he's going to be reducing some weight by going with the kosei rims, so it's probably not a significant issue.

I guess another thing to consider is wet and snow driving. Wider tires makes you more susceptible to hydroplaning. As for snow...no experience in this, but take a look at what rally cars run in the snow. Anyway, there are many more factors that determine how well a tire will work in severe conditions (tire compound, tread design, etc.), and I don't think I'm qualified to discuss this any further.

#11 ·
I guess another thing to consider is wet and snow driving. Wider tires makes you more susceptible to hydroplaning. As for snow...no experience in this, but take a look at what rally cars run in the snow. Anyway, there are many more factors that determine how well a tire will work in severe conditions (tire compound, tread design, etc.), and I don't think I'm qualified to discuss this any further.
I have a set of alloy wheels (14x6) with Bridgestone blizzak tires for winter use, the new rims and tires are strictly spring/summer use...But I do appreciate your input.

#12 ·
The extra width and lower aspect ratio will aid in cornering ability.

However, the lower aspect ratio will give you a rougher ride and won't perform as well in poor weather. The extra width doesn't help at all in poor weather either.

205/50R15 is a good size though...I had a set of Dunlops in that size and it seemed to be a good blend of performance and driveability. Additionally, it doesn't throw off the speedo by much (about 1.6% IIRC). 205/55R15 also has a good selection of tire sizes.

#13 ·
I'm just wondering if the rim is 15x7, is 195 the CORRECT size, is that the size they are saying will perform best? What do they use to determine what size? I would think a 7in rim would at least need a 205?

I just want to learn a lil more, I don't know much in this area.

#18 ·
that'd be maxing out the width tyres you'd want to fit on a 15x6 though i would think?

#20 ·
i'm not sure, but from what i understand it wont hurt them, just mean you're handling might not quite be as sharp......coz the sidewall will flex a bit more as it has more area to support compared to the area supporting it....

but don't take my word for it, wait for one of the more knowledgable guys to comment....

EDIT: I run 205/45s on my 16x7 rims.....tyre basically sits slightly wider than the rim, i think i could go 215s....

#25 ·
It is better to get a tire that is too wide for the rim than one that isn't wide enough.

The 205's (NOT AZENIS) are 10mm larger in width but the side wall is virtually the same differening only by about 2.75mm less than the 195-55's.

The Unspreung weight is a NoN issue IMO because there is more to it than the weight of your tires that will dictate if it is HELPING or Hindering.

If you get a tire that is too narrow for the RIM you are SUBJECT to SIDEWALL DAMAGE (ie Bubbles, Tears, and Side wall failure.)

15X7 I'd go with the 205's

I am running 205-50-15's on my Stock ITR Rims and they are just fine... I don't have any problem with them in the rain and they are AZENIS

#26 ·
wouldn't the Azenis have a stiffer sidewall than a strictly road tyre?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.