Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i turn my car off theres this high pitched whistling coming from under the hood; kinda sounds like one of those tea kettles on a stove. it lasts for like a second or 2, then goes away. its been getting louder and louder recently, and im startin to get worried.. i dont hear any whistling when i start it up, other than from my cai.. any idea what it could be?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Intake buddy....have nothing to worry about. Mine does the same thing. Turn off the can and it sounds like the air in the CAI is releasing.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
~95 TeG LS~ on Mar/24/04 said:
Intake buddy....have nothing to worry about. Mine does the same thing. Turn off the can and it sounds like the air in the CAI is releasing.
Yup, my CAI does the same. It's completely normal.

·
Registered
514 Posts
even with the ignition off? why would the intake be feeding the engine any more? or is it an "exhale"? i've never experienced this before...

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
An intake does not "feed" air when your car isnt moving. An aftermarket intake will whistle a little at idle and again at around a quater throttle. It also can whistle the moment you turn your car off but that has more to do with your intake manifold de-pressurizing then your intake. BUT, it could also be a vaccuum leak, but from the way you are describing the sound it seems to me its just intake noise.

·
Registered
874 Posts
my car makes the exact same noise. started when I installed my ebay short ram....and is coming from my ebay short ram. doesnt' worry me...sounds kinda cool ;)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no the intake is usually a lower and more rich noise, and i can hear the air echoing through the intake. but then again i have an aem v2; i dunno if that would make a differance since its tubing is different than all other intakes.. and the noise the intake makes only lasts for about half a second. this goes on for about 2-3 seconds after i turn the car off

·
Registered
698 Posts
I vote for vacuum leak, miniscule coolant leak, or faulty rad cap.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah that makes sense too b/c lately i've been having coolant leaks. im probably gonna run to pep boys and get a pressure test. any idea how much they cost?

·
Registered
698 Posts
I think most places charge like $15, or at least around here, they do.

·
Registered
816 Posts
mine does it for like 1-2 seconds after I shut the car off too. It's the intake. I like that it does that afterwards.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yeah thats the intake the car exhales letting me know that she likes the way I ride her LOL

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
*UPDATE*
ooook, so i just took it in to pep boys and they couldn't do a pressure test; they said the radiator cap is a special size and they need a special adaptor to do that.. he told me to go to the acura dealership, and theres no way in hell im gonna get my wallet raped again by them. what do u guys think?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
mine has done that kinda noise before when im stopped in traffic...on mine ive narrowed it down to the a/c lines...does yours sound like someones wistleing at you?....like a long tea kettle wistle?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts