Team Integra Forums banner

which turbo

1K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  SilviaDriver 
#1 ·
i plan on putting a turbo on my gsr in the spring. I will not be running more than 8pounds of boost since my car has higher mileage and stock internals. My question is what would be the best turbo for my application?

#2 ·
You're going to get a lot of different opinions on this matter....if you want less lag, get a smaller turbo such as a greddy. If you don't mind a bit of lag but want a lot of power, get a t3/t4.

Don't get me wrong, the greddy turbo is excellent but it is smaller. Personally I'd get a greddy if I ever turbo my car, and I never will.

And btw, check out the article on turbocharging on this site, it will help you make a good decision.

#3 ·
What kits are availble for my car?
Greddy
Rev-Hard
Drag III
F-MAXX

How much do these kits cost ?
$2400-$5000

What comes standard in these kits?
.4-1 Cast Iron manifold
·Deltagate External Wastegate
·T4Garrett T3/T4 T04B or TO4E Turbocharger
(Greddy offers Mitsubishi TD05H-18G Turbo)
·Blow-off valve
·Vortech Fuel Management Unit
·2 ¼ to 2 ½ Piping
·Intercooler (some kits don’t offer FMIC)
·MAP sensor bypass valves
·High pressure Inline fuel pump
·Silicon hoses and clamps
·Steel braided oil feed lines
·Oil return line
·2 1/2 inch down pipe
·Vacuum tee's
·Vacuum line's

How much boost can my car run safely?
LS,RS,GS- Stock Internals 5-7PSI.
GSR-Stock Internals 6-8PSI.

Remember boost is not horsepower. Boost is just a measurement of how hard the turbo is working to force air into the engine. When an engine cannot flow any more air into it, the boost must be increased to force it in. Maximum boost is determined by the tuning as well as by the engine's internal components. It is the responsibility of the car owner and tuner to take steps that will ensure that the increased boost will not harm the engine.
=====================
10 lbs of boost might be pushing it on stock internals(kaboom) the turbo brand doesn't really matter, if you are asking for the size of the turbo i would say a t3/t4 or you can just grab one out of a gsx eclipse...

#6 ·
I have looked at all the turbo articles on this site, and i want to do something like "turbo 101" shows. I am looking at used turbo's, mainly rebuilt ones. I have been looking at mainly t3's, have seen a couple t3/t4 hybrids, (more expensive). I plan on going with one of these models, any suggestions to other models to look at.looking for decent spool up, don't need a huge turbo cause i'll never have enough money to upgrade rest of engine to fully satisfy larger turbo needs.

#7 ·
this is my honest opinion...and what i will do in the future...just build your turbo, if you build your own you can take your time purchasing and putting allthe pieces together, you will save about 1500 dollars becaue it woulld cost you like 1500 max. if you build it in like a month period and while building it you will have time to save up for your internal work so you can run that 10 lbs of boost safely...

#8 ·
Is it worth spending the extra money on a t3/t4 instead of just getting a t3. just going to be a daily driver with a low amount of boost. also, is it worth getting an external wastegate when you are only boosting 5-8 pounds or will an internal do the job just as well. sorry if my questions sound dumb, but i want to do things right. have until summer to build turbo setup, i'm at college and teg is at home

#9 ·
Hey, im building a turbo soon. Im building internals with je pistons and eagle rods. I'm going with a t3 setup with an internal wastegate. Ill be runing 14 psi.
Build your internals. Im doing it in auto shop. Thank god Im in high school so I can use these facilities for free!!!

#10 ·
Quote: jared on Sep/22/02 i plan on putting a turbo on my gsr in the spring. I will not be running more than 10pounds of boost...[/QUOTE]

10psi is a lot. 7 should be about the max u should go w/o doing a bit of internals

Quote: since my car has higher mileage and stock internals.[/QUOTE]
how many miles do u have? if you have a lot of miles and plan to boost i think u should get a rebuild, but ive seen a plenty of cars that boost with about 200,000 miles, but im guessing they did a rebuild. u should check ur engine if its ok to boost as in if i can remember correctly like the compression? any leaks? etc. 10psi u should upgrade a bit of internals

Quote: My question is what would be the best turbo for my application?
if u like it quick get a small turbo like a Mitsu turbo or T25 like on the s13, s14 SR20DETs, T28 on the S15 SR20DETs. small and quick spool. most kits come i think T3/T4 standard? some T3s and others TO4B. T3/T4 i think is a t4 shell with t3 spinner. i say a T3/T4 will do u fine for dialy driving etc.

#13 ·
what kind of boost would we be talking about if i was runing with completely redone internals, valvetrain, pistons, rods, cams everything? could i get up to 20? i say a rtevhard kit that ran up to 25psi

#14 ·
I have 90k on my car, i don't plan on running 10psi, probably 8 at the most, not sure why i posted 10 before. Is there a good site for diff turbo manifold applications (t-25, t-3, etc) -for b-series motors?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.