Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
The factory tach seems to be pretty accurate on my Teg. When I went to dyno, the chart showed my rev limiter bounce at like 6800 rpm, when it's really 7200 rpm. And the tach reads 7100-7200 rpm when it hits the limiter.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Brian_Hanspard on Sep/26/02 said:
You car smacks the rev limiter when you're on the dyno? That can't be good.
What's the problem with that? (other than it running lean for an instant.) I've seen plenty of other cars do it. It doesn't affect the peak torque/horsepower. The power at the limiter's rpm is hardly usable so an inaccurate rating there doesn't matter.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I wouldn't be so worried about that part, I just wouldn't want to bounce off of that thing. Like you said, it creates a lean condition on the engine, hardly something I would want done to my car, ESPECIALLY by someone else. (I'm not familiar with dynos, but doesn't someone else "drive" your car when it's on there?)

Anyways, just so you know, I've never hit my rev limiter, perhaps this is why I am deadset against it.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Eh, it's not a big deal... just don't do it a lot.

I've hit the limiter a few times on accident, but never had any problem whatsoever as a result. It's a Honda; it's not going to blow up if you take it to the red. And the rev limiter only causes it to run lean for an instant. I believe the main problem with running lean is the heat, but if it only happens for a fraction of a second and then goes back to normal, I wouldn't worry about it. If you keep it to the floor and let it bounce off the limiter all day, then that would be asking for trouble, but you'd deserve it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Quick question, slighlty off topic, sorry, but is the rpm read from crankshaft revolution or camshaft revolution?

·
Registered
711 Posts
When becoming a Honda mechanic (my buddy Rodney), at the school the professor pushed down and held the throttle. It was bouncing off the rev limiter and he said it could handle it for about 8 mins! Scary!! I still wouldn't do it!!

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
RPM is read from the camshaft - sensors in distributor. The tach is hooked up to the ignition module which gets it's signal from the ECU which gets its info from the sensors in the distributor. There are three sensors in the distributor. I'm not sure if the ECU uses only one of these or a combination to determine when to fire.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts