Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just for fun and educational purposes.

quick quiz for you guys who are new to this internals modifying game. :

If these 2 pistons were both forged, had the same silicon content, and gave you the same static CR in your Bseries pentroof combustion chamber, which one would you prefer to have and why?

choice A ? :

or

choice B ? :

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
B- It will remove more burt gasses than A. I hope I don't sound like a dumb ass...

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
i'm totally guessing here, but with some logic.

my choice is "A" since the top of the piston is more flat which minimizes the amount of volume area at the end of the burn cycle. i think thats called quench? or something along those lines. it is also rough which causes more turbulence in the chamber similiar to what you do in a head when you P&P.

btw: just curious... what does forging and silicon content have to do with burn efficienct?

·
Registered
195 Posts
B-They're purty

btw, in b, is the bttm left piston (closest) different than the others?

and they seal better ...lol

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Are all you guys going for just the looks? MD did say that if everything were the same, except for the design of the piston.

I don't know pistons, but A seems to be a lot more smoother. B is just all pionted out and sharp, wouldn't that make the air all funky?

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
codenamezero on Feb/13/04 said:
I chose A, because one of the piston in B is different than the other LOL. So B don't have 4 same pistons? :)
Right...I think I made a mistake...But I'll chew on it when we find out.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
more hints....

all of you are looking at the dome area which is the correct place to look.

let's make it a little more clearer.

choice A flat top

choice B domed

the one that's different in B is an FI piston that has a dome. the remainder are N/A pistons. but as a group, they are all "domed" pistons.

c'mon guys, put your thinking caps on.

what piston factors other than silicon content, forged vs cast, and static CR affect burn efficiency in out engines?

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
The top ring is also closer to the top of the piston ..pushing out more exaust gasses.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
jojo on Feb/13/04 said:
The top ring is also closer to the top of the piston ..pushing out more exaust gasses.
Yup, you just read the articles. Just like I did.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
That's the whole point right?!

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
I love this exercise...it does make it a fun learning experiance. Theres so much for me to learn about the internals...I have to take it one thing at a time.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
B b/c the that peak makes the air spin more, and makes it burn gas better.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I don't come around much any more, I am very busy with other things now ... I auto-x once a month, but other than that, I don't do much, performance or mod-wise with the Teg.

What is the point of what I just said? ... Well, when I was last here, Mike D had recently decided to take a break from his forum, and now ... I return to see him post something like this.

Thanks Mike - It's nice to have an educational post to participate in. Good to see you back (or for all I know, you have BEEN back) anyway, good to see you around still.

And as for the question, and I am pretty much 'shooting from the hip' here (in other words, I haven't reviewed the articles recently), I would say that the flat-topped pistons would burn more efficiently.

The flat-topped piston looks more like what I would expect a stock piston to look like. And when I think of stock Honda parts, I think of balance. So, while I am sure it makes good power, I would expect that they would have balanced the power output characteristics with equal parts of energy efficient-emissions friendly characteristics.

The domed pistons look like specialized race bred parts. The severe angles on the domes are probably there to aid in creating and sustaining aggressive airflow patterns. Such as increased scavenging and whatnot.

Ok, please ... if I am way off base, and totally wrong, please, nobody flame me too bad. Hey, I am here to learn too, and after all ... I gave it a shot.

(Maybe tomorrow I will read the articles to see if I was headed in the right direction.)

Humn, I just read the topic of the post and the question in the first post again ... Ok, the topic is which will burn more efficiently. I picked the flat-topped piston. And as for which would I prefer to have? The same one ... My teg is a grocery getter too.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts