Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Acura Integra LS
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to do a clutch job on the 2000 Integra LS, and while unhooking/removing things on the right side of the engine, I ran into a sensor which I cannot for the life of me properly identify. I am hoping someone can tell me its name from this pic:

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Automotive design Engineering

I have really tried everything I can think of to ID this puppy, and I’m coming up short. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Nuke

·
Registered
2000 Acura Integra LS
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Temperature reading for your gauge cluster.
Interesting…this car doesn’t have a temp read-out on the cluster, but the blue plug in the valve cover has always made me think a previous owner started some mods at some point and either didn’t finish or took them off before selling it. Is it a thing with these base Integras to swap its cluster out with a higher trim’s cluster?

Im wondering if that sensor was added in anticipation, or to support, a cluster swap, but it was not removed before selling the car…

Anyway, none of that matters for a clutch service, so I’ll ponder later when I have time to daydream.

Many thanks for the info!

Nuke

·
Registered
2000 Acura Integra LS
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wait you don't have a temp gauge on the cluster? I've never had one without. I've had multiple integras from 91 - 01 ls, gs, gsr ls special(gs on non gs years)

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
ah yes, I misunderstood…wait, if that sensor provides the signal for the dash gauge, why can’t it use the coolant temp sensor’s feedback? What does having the 2nd sensor and wiring for it gain over just using the coolant temp sensor’s data?

·
Registered
2000 Acura Integra LS
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
View attachment 107210
Here's that area for a gsr - us non vtec plebs have the same stuff in similar places, just no vtec oil pressure and solenoid.

So you don't have a coolant temp gauge on your cluster? That's..... Strange.

I can't think of any compatible cluster that doesn't have the gauge.... Unless someone cut it out to put a wideband or boost or some other hackery in there...
i do, I misunderstood what was meant by “temp reading for cluster” 😞

·
Registered
2000 Acura Integra LS
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmm, I’m still new to these cars, but not to automotive in general. Do these Integras have anything to help me figure out why Mrs Nuke would notice the temp gauge maxed out, continue to drive it, then mention in passing as she comes through the door, “the Acura is doing that overheating thing again.”?

I mean, uh, a). it has never had “an overheating thing”, and, uh b) DONT DRIVE IT IF OVERHEATING!

Seems straightforward to me, but Mrs Nuke isn’t on board.

What does this Integra have in the way of self-preservation mechanisms?” I guess is what I really want to know…because I need it to help me save it from Mrs Nuke’s inattentive driving approach it would appear…

😩

·
Registered
2000 Acura Integra LS
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The overheat appears to have not done any permanent damage, or if it did, I have not seen it yet. The culprit was the upper radiator hose where it connects to the cylinder head. I guess the hose clamp was just loose enough to allow the hose to slowly back off the outlet housing on the head. It took it about 2 years or so, but it finally got far enough off or loose enough for the hose to let go from the outlet housing. The engine was running at the time I assume, and so the water pump did its thing and pumped all the coolant out of the system as Mrs Nuke was driving it along that night.

I retightened the hose clamp, did a citric acid flush, 2 water flushes, and then filled with coolant+water to see if it would keep running. So far, so good, and that was a couple weeks ago, so I am satisfied crisis was averted in that instance…although it was too close for my comfort!

The latest breakdown is only a couple days old, but everything I’m seeing and reading about it appear to point to the clutch disc failing catastrophically (popped a spring loose). So I get to drop the trans and verify that hypothesis, but not before disassembling the whole front suspension, of course. Ugh, I really hate suspension work, but it’s got to be done, so I guess I’ll grab my BFH and do it.

The only other major breakages we’ve had.with the car so far have been suspension-related (wheel bearings going out), but nothing engine/emissions related thankfully. Actually, I take that back, there was a brief intermittent misfire DTC that was jumping around and had me cussing up a storm trying to diagnose. I’m used to being able to access all the PCM’s data output PIDs, in real-time and in graph form if I desire.

Unfortunately that is not possible with the equipment I have and this car’s ECU. So diagnosing simple things like a misfire have me reverting back to the stone ages when things like vacuum gauges and wild guesses were the mechanics most used, if not most useful also, tools in the toolbox.

I guess I should step up and get a scanner device that is capable of interfacing with this car’s computer and outputting the data it has to offer on the engine’s running conditions, but I just can’t talk myself into sinking that much money into yet more tools that will (hopefully) only get used every now and again.

Which is where these forums come in - another useful tool for maintaining and fixing this Acura that contains a lot of the information I may need, it’s just a matter of finding it…and applying it correctly, that is.

Which is where you gentlemen come in! Y’all know way more about these cars than I do, so you may see me creating more threads as time goes on, the miles rack up, and the OE parts being to break down (after only 20 years?!?).

Thanks for the assistance so far, and thanks in advance for any help you may provide in the future!

Nuke, OUT!

·
Registered
2000 Acura Integra LS
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can over heating alter a sensors calibration? The way it alters the thermostat spring?
Anything’s possible, but I’m my experience the sensors and thermostat will usually survive an overheating incident with no ill effects (assuming it was a normal overheat and not one where the engine was overheated and then continued to be driven, thereby permanently damaging the engine).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts