Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have my whole exhaust system figured out, but which cat-back system should I get? I am thinking I will go with DC JDM Stainless 4-1 header, and a Carsound 2.5in cat, but then what exhaust system should I go with? I was originally going to get a Comptech because I love the looks and the sound, but the piping is only 2.25in. Is there anything comprable, but with 2.5in piping? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
SMSP makes a great 2.5" system all the way through. No bottlenecks.....no non-sense.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
unless you're boosted or pushing some serious na power, 2.5" is too big. and if you are boosting, then the dc header is a bad idea anyhow... either way, i'd say 2.5" is always easiest to buy your own stuff, and let a shop custom make one. i'm getting my 2.5" for 90 bucks, me bringing the cat and mufflers, and him mandrel bending and welding it all in.

·
Registered
586 Posts
im getting mine custom made. 175 for the 2.5 mandrel bent exhaust piping, 70 for the high-heat resonator, and about 100 for the 2.5 magnaflow muffler. if you can find a shop that has a mandrel somewhere near you, i would go that route if i were you.

·
Registered
523 Posts
im gettin 2.5 and i dont have to much done to my car. Im thinking ahead and im sure there arent going to be Huge power losses from getting a 2.5 exaust installed

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Get 2.5" for your GSR, it will go much better mated to the 2.5" header and cat. It would just be a waste of money to cork that system off with a 2.25" exhaust.

This is my 2.5" HyTech exhaust plus cat attached on the end of it that you wouldn't have. $700, hope you got money heh heh.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats very, very nice! Does $700 include the cat? How do you like the tone as well? Any sound clips? Thanks!

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
No it doesn't include the cat. It sounds great if you like mellow and deep exhausts. It may be too quiet for some I'm thinking but I've outgrown the "Whoa listen to my ear piercing exhaust I'm like deaf now because my car sounds so cool" phase. I have no soundclips until someone can hook me up with a cheap digital sound recorder though.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
BTW we've had some huge discussions on 2.5" exhausts as well as a whole multi-page thread on the HyTech system in the Performance forum.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool, thanks for the info. I read the 5 page thread about 2.5in exhausts that you started, lots of good info. I don't really like loud exhausts, what I like is what you described. If I bought the system, could I bolt a 2.5in carsound cat right up to it? Is it better to get the cat with the exhaust system? If so, will this bolt right up to a DC Stainless JDM header, and if so, do you think this is an adequate header for the system? Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Yes, a header with a 2.5" exit like the DC JDM is great. You can use whatever cat you want, whether it's bolt-on or not depends on who builds the flanges for it.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hear people mention IPS racing alot when buying carsound cats, as they come with everything needed. Would this bolt up to the JDM header and 2.5in carsound cat from them? Basically no muffler shop work necessary, all stuff I can do myself? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
cmathes on Aug/28/02 said:
I hear people mention IPS racing alot when buying carsound cats, as they come with everything needed. Would this bolt up to the JDM header and 2.5in carsound cat from them? Basically no muffler shop work necessary, all stuff I can do myself? Thanks!
While I'm not sure about ips. I know SMSP will make a cat to be a true bolt in part. Just give Dave your current mods and he'll bolt on the corresponding flanges to make it a true bolt on fit.

For example, I called Dave last Friday and ordered my carsound cat. I gave him the type of header I have (comptech = 2.0" collector) and told him what type of exhaust I have (comptech = 2.25"). From here, he just welds the proper inlet and outlet flanges onto the cat for a true bolt up installation.
Can't wait till it gets here......

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, thats really cool that he does that. I will have to contact him. How much did it run you? Thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
DaBoyNBlu on Aug/27/02 said:
unless you're boosted or pushing some serious na power, 2.5" is too big. and if you are boosting, then the dc header is a bad idea anyhow... either way, i'd say 2.5" is always easiest to buy your own stuff, and let a shop custom make one. i'm getting my 2.5" for 90 bucks, me bringing the cat and mufflers, and him mandrel bending and welding it all in.
Why would you say that. Do you have some basis? I have a DC JDM pipe on a Type R with a Jackson Racing Super Charger. I have never heard anyone say anything bad about that pipe or set up. If you dont have hard facts or experience with something, you are probably best not to coment on the subject.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
dc sports header would not be my first choice for a header if i was running SC. the primaries are too long and are not optimized for supercharging. most people, especially people who know what they're talking about, will recommend that you go with a kamikaze header instead of the dc sports JDM. SC and NA are just different beasts. do you really think a header that's designed for one setup will work just as well in the other setup? run a search for a kamikaze header on this site and you will know what i'm talking about.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
cmathes on Aug/28/02 said:
Ok, thats really cool that he does that. I will have to contact him. How much did it run you? Thanks!
It was about $170 for my application. Plus the respective shipping charges to send it to your area.

To have it shipped from Virginia to Arizona.....the total cost was $183 via UPS.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts