Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my header should be here any day. Since my GSR is OBD I, I only have one O2 sensor. Where should I put it? Should I put it into the header? Or should I just leave it?

I guess I should tell you that I have custom exh. with hi flow cat. they welded a fitting onto a short piece of pipe just before the cat. I'm just wondering if it would be better to put the sensor in the header and replace the POS cat I have with a Magnaflow unit.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
the primary O2 sensor before the cat is what controls your injector opening and spark timing in ECU closed loop operation at part throttle up to 1/4 throttle or 3500 rpm. the ECU adjusts using a preset short term and averaged longterm correction at the injectors and timing until it reads that you are at a fixed voltage coming out of that sensor that is equal to stoich (af ratio 14.7:1). if you don't have that sensor reading the exhaust gas, you're screwed because you don't have ECU closed loop operation. you can't ignore or bypass the front sensor even for OBD1. OBD2 uses the front primary sensor as well but then adds a second sensor after the cat. this second sensor compares it's voltage to the front sensor's voltage and if the difference is not large enough it then concludes that the cat is not working and throws a sensor or catalyst code.

you people really don't know what closed loop and open loop ECU operation is do you? that's becoming more and more apparent to me as we get people coming in from the outside honda boards. Talking too much about exhausts and intakes and not the basics on these other places are we?

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, but I only have 1 O2 sensor (OBD I) I'm just wondering where the best location for it is, since I no longer have the factory cat. Header or the pipe just before the hi flow cat.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, MD...you just had me doing a double take since you mentioned primary/secondary O2 sensors. As far as I know I only have the one, unless someone made the other one disappear. I simply wanted to know if it would be better to put the O2 sensor closer to the exhaust valve, or closer to the cat; whichever gives me the best usage of the sensor. I dunno...maybe it makes a difference if the sensor was moved as mentioned. I know what open loop and closed loop ECU operation is. This is why I'm asking you Integra experts if the above scenarios make a difference. I've only owned the car for 4 months and don't know how picky they are to changes yet. And as far as outside Honda boards go...why do you think I have turned to this site? I'm craving the knowledge, I've read most of the articles and found this place to be very informative. Many of the other sites want to discuss bra sizes and how many hot chicks they've had in their cars. I'm here to learn, and I'm here to help. I've only had my Teg for 4 months, but I am not a noob as your first reply might suggest.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts