Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well ive doen my thorough searcing and im almost positive the sound i have been hearing for a while is my axles....a while back my CV boots were making the thiumping, a replacemnt of those by my mechanic (when i still went to a mechanic, lol) fixed that...

but now im getting a POPPING sound as i either change from reverse to drive (not the tranny, it is a little after the shift) as well as if i turn my wheels while the car is standing still, or when i brake hard when rolling real slowly, they all make the POP noise...

so anyway, I am pretty sure its the axles, now i just need to get some recommendations on where to get them.

Autozone online sells a number of different brands and both new and remanufactured....OEM even from AcuraAutomitiveParts.org are, " just go ahead and rape me, expensive"....

so what would you guys recommend, i have 113,000 miles so im guessing it is just their time,i need this car for another 5 years of college, so maintenance is something i dont want to skimp on, at the same time, i am not gonna pay like 250 per axle for OEM....

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MichaelDelaney on Apr/13/04 said:
dude. there's an axle thread in the performance forum Common Topic. wtf is the matter with you?! (smacks back of JustTegIt's head). of all people you should know to look there first. you'r not exactly a TI rookie noob. sheesh!
1. I never go into the performance forum, i drive an automatic and will nver do an engine mod on my integra, i occasionally make a post if a performance thread comes on the first page, but never otherwise.

2. I just went and looked at that thread, and there was only oNE axle in there that was even applicable to OE replacement, I dont need axle capable of 400HP handling, just some OEM replacements....

I read 7 pages of all of the applicable threads relating to axles, but none specifically disucced the pros/cons of getting OEM versus aftermarket OEM replacements and the differences between rebuilt and new...

so please dont make an idle post like that, i made this thread with a valid question that hasnt been answered here before...

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
JustTegIt on Apr/13/04 said:
1. I never go into the performance forum, i drive an automatic and will nver do an engine mod on my integra, i occasionally make a post if a performance thread comes on the first page, but never otherwise.

2. I just went and looked at that thread, and there was only oNE axle in there that was even applicable to OE replacement, I dont need axle capable of 400HP handling, just some OEM replacements....

I read 7 pages of all of the applicable threads relating to axles, but none specifically disucced the pros/cons of getting OEM versus aftermarket OEM replacements and the differences between rebuilt and new...

so please dont make an idle post like that, i made this thread with a valid question that hasnt been answered here before...
Think he was just messin with you a bit...no harm...

anyway...

Locally we have shops that will rebuild them with a lifetime and if I remember right it was like $250 for the set??? it's been awhile and it was for a couple differnt cars but they were both close to that. So if you have a place like that that'll give you a warranty like that and is reputable then I'd go that route personally. Since by that last post your just wanting and OE fix I think this would be your best route.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i will be installing them myself, so i would only need the axles, do you remeber if the shop you are referring to wanted 250 for a rebuild/install or just rebuild?

also, i saw in one thread when i was rresearching TI that Autozone and some other places will actually take your old ones so that they can have them rebuilt and subtract like 60 bucks for each one you give them, is that even worth bringing your old axles back in? anyone doen that?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
JustTegIt on Apr/13/04 said:
i will be installing them myself, so i would only need the axles, do you remeber if the shop you are referring to wanted 250 for a rebuild/install or just rebuild?

also, i saw in one thread when i was rresearching TI that Autozone and some other places will actually take your old ones so that they can have them rebuilt and subtract like 60 bucks for each one you give them, is that even worth bringing your old axles back in? anyone doen that?
I'd just call some shops. Find out if it gives you the warranty if you install. I believe the $250 was installed because at that point I didn't work on my car much and I probably still wouldn't touch the axles (lack of tools/time). I'd just call around though.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
integra_papa on Apr/13/04 said:
i heard a popping sound with the exact description as you stated. I found out that my lugs werent tight all the way. before you spend money try that. it worked for me. i just tighten them down and i was good. good luck
well that is a possibility, i cracked one of my 17's 3 months ago and i have since been running my old steelies up front for the winter...ill have my new rims on in a few days so obviously i wont do anytihn until then...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts