Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
over the past several months, i've read numerous threads here that say underpowering speakers is how you kill them. when is an amplifier absolutely necessary?

i've got two pair of 130w (65w each) speakers right now powered by a 50w x 4 hu. i kind of want to upgrade the fronts since they don't have the "thunder" i really want. how high could i go without "needing" an amplifier?

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
I can't give you an exact cut-off point when or not you need an amp, but in your case.....you would benefit from a small 4 channel amp that pumped somewhere around 70W X 4 w/a low THD percentage. Something like a Rockford Fosgate 500X or 700X (or older models) is a good bang for the buck.

And just so you know, that deck of yours is probably not pushing more than 25 W RMS per channel, I find it amazing that those manufacturer's can get away w/such ratings on peak wattage.

And yes, underpowering a speaker is dangerous. In short, underpowering speakers = pushing an amp harder >>>> pushing an amp hard = more distortion >>>> distortion = speaker troubles.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I really think amps are only needed for subs to start.as far as door speakers go just get a higher-end head unit to start(min 45x4watts) then go from there,just remember everything starts at the head unit

·
Registered
561 Posts
I went from deck power to amp power on components. There is no comparison. If you have the money and are looking for an upgrade in sound an amp to your components is a good idea.

And cheezthis is right, your deck isnt putting out 200 watts. Im not sure how they come up with these numbers. Must be some loophole in how they can say they make that much, maybe it involves them striking it with lightning. Im not sure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts