Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i really need some help. I recently bought a LS 4 door, well i'm going to lower it tomorow. today i decided to take off the wheels to look at the suspension and see how long it might take me, but when i go to take the wheel off.. none of them come off. i undo all the bolts and it wont even wiggle a little.anyone had this problem?? any suggestions?? ohh yeah i have LS mesh wheels.and if not i'm going to try and just put the car up on stands and try to work my way around them..

i tryed searching but couldnt find anything.. if it has been covered please let me know and if possible give me a link.. thanx..and ohh yeah i posted this in the G3 forum cause the LS mesh rims only came on G3

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
they might be rusted stuck... that happened to a friends car.

i just hit the tire's sidewall on the top and the bottom of the tire until it worked its way loose. Good Luck!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Make sure you have the car jacked up pretty high, you never know how much force could still be pressing down on the tire. I jack mine so that the tire can freely spin. Also, try some wd-40 to losen it up a bit.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Ok I might be able to help as I work at a shop and this happens all the time. Here's what you do..get behind the wheel like under the car, get a big hammer or something heavy and wrap it in a towel or shirt or some sh*t. Hit the rim! Hard! from behind it it will pop right off, sometimes corrosion and salt from the roads tend to fuse the wheel to the hub and lugs.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanx guys.. ohh yeah i made sure the car was above the ground.. i even try to spin it forward then jerk it backward hopeing it would loosen it or something..but i'm going to try and hit it from behind.. it would suck if i have to work around them to put the shocks on.. FYI i'm putting H&R springs on.. alright thanx guys.. any other suggestions please post

·
Registered
254 Posts
I had the same problem on my cars when I got them too. Another big cause aside from rust/corrosion is from shops using air guns to put on wheels, which I *really really really* hate since it's not hard at all to get out a torque wrench and do it the right way even if it takes another minute. Personally I always write on the slip that the place is supposed to use a torque wrench and not use an air gun when they need to take off the tires.

This may or may not be a possibility for you but once you get the tires off I would recommend cleaning the mounting surfaces. A really good thing to use, which is what I did after the first time taking the tires off, is a mild acid solution but not everyone has access to acid to do this nor do you want to use too much.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Neil on Feb/24/04 said:
I had the same problem on my cars when I got them too. Another big cause aside from rust/corrosion is from shops using air guns to put on wheels, which I *really really really* hate since it's not hard at all to get out a torque wrench and do it the right way even if it takes another minute. Personally I always write on the slip that the place is supposed to use a torque wrench and not use an air gun when they need to take off the tires.

This may or may not be a possibility for you but once you get the tires off I would recommend cleaning the mounting surfaces. A really good thing to use, which is what I did after the first time taking the tires off, is a mild acid solution but not everyone has access to acid to do this nor do you want to use too much.
Actually about 98% of shops use torque sticks which are a variation on the torque wrench, basically you look up the car your working on For instance Integra it says color blue, get the blue torque stick, this torque stick is model specific for Hondas etc. And it torques it down to proper spec without over tightning, other shops use hand wrenches, but no one unless they are untrained or really could care less about your car would just use a plain impact gun to put on your lugnuts. Also Acid?? How about some brake parts cleaner or carb cleaner even.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Ed is right about the torque sticks but they blow they aren't very good. seen and heard way to many horror stories.

And if you're having trouble getting your wheels off GOOD LUCK with the suspension install. Might be better off paying someone to do this one

·
Registered
172 Posts
viet_boi_racin

1)With car jacked-up so tire is off floor. Put the lug nuts back on tighten finger tight and then back out one full turn. This will keep the tire from popping off at an anlge meesing up your threads.

2) Using either a rubber mallet to prevent damage to rim or you can place a 2x4 against the tire/rim and a hand sledge hammer strike at a one location of the wheel and then alternate to the other side. This is to cause the wheel to come off as straight as possible, instead of putting it in a bind.

3) once the tire is loose then you can pull the lugs off all the way and remove your tire.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Shadowhunter on Feb/24/04 said:
98% of shops use torque sticks which are a variation on the torque wrench, basically you look up the car your working on For instance Integra it says color blue, get the blue torque stick, this torque stick is model specific for Hondas etc. And it torques it down to proper spec without over tightning, other shops use hand wrenches, but no one unless they are untrained or really could care less about your car would just use a plain impact gun to put on your lugnuts. Also Acid?? How about some brake parts cleaner or carb cleaner even.
I don't really trust torque sticks either since the shops that used those still didn't get it right. Might be bad experiences but I pretty much expect shops to have the same level of care for my car that I provide it. And, uh, yes, acid. It works better than brake cleaner for those really tough situations and most importantly, you have to know what you're doing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.