Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm riding on 17" that have been lowered 2.5 in the front and 2.25 in the back. It looks really good and I take corners a little better, but when I ride over speed bumps or rough pavement my wheel mostly my back ones rub in the wheel well. Would I need to get some stiffer shocks to resolve this, if that's the case then what recommendation can be offered. Has anyone else with 17's encountered this.

·
Premium Member
1996 LS Manual Hatchback
2,509 Posts
Stiffer shocks would most likely do nothing for you, but make the ride even rougher I rubbed on 17's even before I lowered, it all depends on the tire size like I said in your last post which I'm assuming was deleted, get a new tire/wheel combo or get tires with a smaller sidewall.

·
Registered
12,488 Posts
Do you have F & R camber kits?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No I know that my front camber is sitting somewhere at -2. With something like this is the only thing Im going to run into just tires wearing unevenly? Im currently riding on stock 97 ls shocks.

·
Premium Member
1996 LS Manual Hatchback
2,509 Posts
Your shocks are gonna need to be replaced with aftermarket ones or they're gonna get blown pretty quickly lowered that much. Stocks can't handle much drop, usually an inch or less i think?? You're tires will wear unevenly and could affect your handling and blow your shocks faster. Most ppl say 1.5" drop on 17's is pushing it and 2.5 is just in the overkill zone

Check this out, older thread where they discuss drops on 17's Max Lower on 17's

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
how much you can lower your car with 17s has too many variables to have a solid answer.

My 17x7s don't rub at all and I have rediculous camber problems cuz I'm dropped almost 3" all the way around. The only thing I run into is unever tire wear (and let me tell you its rediculously uneven lol)

·
Registered
542 Posts
Your problem is simple.

Too low for the size wheels ur running. Raise the car up or get small rims.

Im running my car on stock 15" civic exrims and coils bottomed out and i rub all day long. All i gotta do is raise my car up a bit and voila, no more rubbing.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
^^^^If your tire wheel combo dimensions are the same as stock (aka offset, width, diameter) then you wont have problems or does the car know that hey this guy got 17s lets rub the tires a little. Winston like said before you may want to invest in a rear camber kit (not sure if you have a front one) also rolling your fenders would help a lot there is an article here on ti.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright thanks guys. I'll go ahead and do the front camber, and I guess what I'll do instead of getting rid of the whole rim altogether I'll check out some tires with a thin sidewall. As far as the stock shocks go I'll get a buddy of mine to look at them and let me know if Im killing them to much.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Agreed with above.

Wheel and tire combo equivalent to stock diameter, make sure the wheels have the proper offset, and that the tires arent too wide.

Get a camber kit and an alignment or raise that puppy up a little.

And get some decent shocks, if those stock LSs arent blown yet, chances are they will be very soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.