Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 67K, my 2001 GSR's wheels are looking pretty crappy (clear coat is in horrible shape).

I have actually considered simply buying 4 new wheels from the dealer. However, I know that in 50-60K more miles, they'll be in the same shape. Sucks! I've had 20 year old German cars with great looking wheels...

In any event, has anyone used any wheel refinishing products? I'm not talking about just spray paint.

I know POR 15 makes the best undercoating/rust proofing prodcuts... anyone ever use their wheel restoration kit?

http://www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=333

·
Registered
938 Posts
best plan for you, Go to your local autoparts store(Autozone or Advanced/Discount Auto) and get this product called Aircraft paint remover.
clop or spray (depending on what type you get...Can of container) the product on each wheel, This will pull all the clearcoat off the wheels but not damage the Aluminum.

Let the chemical sit for about 10 minutes on each wheel, Then rinse the chemical off with water and sponge.
get some chrome/aluminum polish and a high speed buffer or Dremmel with polishing bit.
It'll be kind of time consuming per wheel, But the outcome will be well worth it.

I did this on a set of '95 GS-R Fat five wheels.
Turned out perfect!!!!

After a year or so the wheels will look a little white, just use some chrome polish on the wheels...and your good for another year.

Good luck

-Jeff

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Outkasted24 on Apr/11/04 said:
best plan for you, Go to your local autoparts store(Autozone or Advanced/Discount Auto) and get this product called Aircraft paint remover.
clop or spray (depending on what type you get...Can of container) the product on each wheel, This will pull all the clearcoat off the wheels but not damage the Aluminum.

Let the chemical sit for about 10 minutes on each wheel, Then rinse the chemical off with water and sponge.
get some chrome/aluminum polish and a high speed buffer or Dremmel with polishing bit.
It'll be kind of time consuming per wheel, But the outcome will be well worth it.

I did this on a set of '95 GS-R Fat five wheels.
Turned out perfect!!!!

After a year or so the wheels will look a little white, just use some chrome polish on the wheels...and your good for another year.

Good luck

-Jeff
Jeff, did you clearcoat the wheels after you buffed? The kit I'm talking about (see link) comes with some clearcoat.

Also, did you remove the tires for this procedure?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Outkasted24 on Apr/11/04 said:
...After a year or so the wheels will look a little white, just use some chrome polish on the wheels...and your good for another year.

Good luck

-Jeff
The fat fives I have are starting to have the white look. So would I need to buff it again or can I just put the chrome polish on?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts