Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry for sounding stupid but what does wheel hop mean during you launch? Does it mean when your car start to kinda shake? Just making sure.

·
Registered
185 Posts
It is caused by the engine "flexing" when you launch. What that "flexing" does is pull back on the suspension and causes your tires to sort of "hop." Hence "wheel hop." It can be ruduced through the use of aftermarket engine mounts which cut back on the "flexing" significantly.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
i was having bad wheel hop and i installed the Prothane bushings. I ran at the Battle of the Imports today, for the first time with the motor mounts... I spun the tires all the way through 1st without wheel hop and took a tenth off my best ET... ran a 15.0. I suggest it if you are gonna seriously race, but it causes pretty noticable vibration... mainly in the steering column and throughout the car in general.

·
Registered
8,678 Posts
would this "wheel hop" possibly be the reason my change drawer poped open on a launch and shot change all over my car the last time i was at the strip?? the car was shaking like mad... and is it really bad for the car or does it just happen?

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
98integraLs on Sep/15/02 said:
would this "wheel hop" possibly be the reason my change drawer poped open on a launch and shot change all over my car the last time i was at the strip?? the car was shaking like mad... and is it really bad for the car or does it just happen?
yeah, that's more than likely caused from wheel hop. it puts severe strain on all driveline components as well as the control arms and suspension. in the longrun you could possible break something, but if you are just a "weekend warrior" there shouldn't be that much worry about it.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
actually, my dash kit for my CD player sucks... so i've had to re-install my cd player at half track on more than one occassion... now when i run i just take it out ahead of time... less weight is good, right? haha

·
Registered
169 Posts
The bushings are good but a solid rear mount is what you need the most. As you eliminate wheel hop you get more power to the ground in a controled manner

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
InspiredRacer on Sep/16/02 said:
The bushings are good but a solid rear mount is what you need the most. As you eliminate wheel hop you get more power to the ground in a controled manner
I agree... I have the rear mount sitting on my work bench waiting to go in. But even the side mounts made a definite noticable improvement.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Hop is bad period, its like putting a load on your engine and taking off constantly. Things like to break at this point. But to tell you the truth, I dont' have prothanes in my daily, but the little bit of rattle in first gear isn't that bad, but if you have loos change in the car you will hear it.
i overall dont' mind them, as long as I don't get stuck in stop and go traffic, if you do you might be in need of a bathroom brake after a while.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Has anyone tried to use the Z10 radius arms to launch? Im interested to know if one can launch with 17" and these arms installed without causing wheel hop.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
what about if you let some air out of your tires and/or mess w/the suspension firmness, would that help w/reducing wheel hop any? i was having bad wheel hop when launching too and i was told to try that but havent had a chance to go back to the track and try it yet.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
sabotage on Aug/24/04 said:
what about if you let some air out of your tires and/or mess w/the suspension firmness, would that help w/reducing wheel hop any? i was having bad wheel hop when launching too and i was told to try that but havent had a chance to go back to the track and try it yet.

Wondering the same question here, I was at the track today and had wheel hop like mad. Some cars at the track look like they had real low tire pressure, would it help to stiffen up front suspension (I have adjustable struts)?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Has anyone tired the Z10 radius arms? They cost alot more than the motor mounts (about $350USD).

I'm looking to find user experience with these.

Anyone?

·
Registered
212 Posts
so wheel hopping is completely normal? my old ls wouldnt hop at all also maybe because i needed new tires really bad??? my gsr now hops ALOT on falkens so would motor mounts fix the problem or could it be somethin else?

·
Registered
8,284 Posts
You need to check your motor mounts and make sure they are all still in good condition. Wheel hop is fairly normal, but you can cure it with aftermarket motor mounts, or a traction bar.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts