·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one of tha boots went rotten on my axle

this one right here!!

we called my mechanic and asked him how much it would be to replace it

he said for just the boots on both driver and passenger about 100

but he also said im better off replacing the whole axle because once one of the boots breaks and u have been riding on it the barings start to go bad

does this sound about right?
it really doesnt seem like that hard of a part to replace

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
he is right, there has been **** getting ground into the bearings, just replace the axles.

decide if you want quality like raxles or driveshaftshop or just cheap lifetime warranty ones from autozone

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yuh he was gonna charge me like 200 to replace tha axles

but they would prolly just be stock should i go out and buy my own and then have him install them?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
yes he is right, not only did debrie get in but you probably lost alot of grease.. anyway, you should be able to get BOTH installed for aroudn 100-150bux, i wouldnt pay mre than that. I would rather buy them myself for like 50 bux each and install em myself. They are quick and easy to replace. If you can install shocks you can replace your own axles. Make sure you get the ones that are for ABS. I replaced both of mine with aftermarket ones, and had them a year and no problem yet...

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
buy the axles and install em yourself. its not hard. i have changed mine on the side of the interstate before.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jameelrose on Sep/17/07 said:
buy the axles and install em yourself. its not hard. i have changed mine on the side of the interstate before.
lmao

okay well if yall say so?
is there a DIY on this?

i installed my springs myself so im guessing i could do this to!

what brand would yall recomend?
links and stuff would be nice =]

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Its pretty simple you need simple tools like ratchets pliers and a 32mm fitting that goes on the ratchet (forgot what it is called damn it) you have to remove the lower control arm from the ball joint but before you do that remove the 32mm nut that holds the axle in the hub then you have to hammer it out from the hub and from the half-shaft that is on the driver side put the new one in (when it clicks in the half-shaft it is secure) then insert the other end in the hub and tighten it make sure you hammer the nut a little in the one point (you will know what I am talking about when you remove the original) the passenger side is the same the only difference is that there is no half-shaft it just goes in the tranny. Oh and I believe you have to disconnect the strut fork from the LCA in order to get it out.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
if u can change springs... i know for sure you do this... as for brand just go to your local parts store and get any one that has the lifetime warranty

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
okay well i guess ill go to like auto zone tomorrow and see what all they got

im planing on building this car up later so i want somthing that will be able to handle power

but ill go check auto zone tomorrow and see what they have

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
blueteg1088 on Sep/17/07 said:
is there a DIY on changing the axle tho?
Its easy.

Take off wheel
Have friend hold down brake, use 32mm and breaker bar to loosen big nut
take out bolt on bottom of shock fork
Remove castle nut on bottom of LCA (take out cotter pin first)
Use pry bar or ball joint separator or hammer to release ball joint (pry)
With that removed, pull whole hub off axle and move to side
Go to trans (on passenger) or end of jack shaft and pry axle off (with big flathead, or pry bar *better*)
Put in new axle

Put everything back.

only special tools needed are 32mm socket, breaker bar, and pry bar (looks like big flathead with long handle)

Done!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lol umm yuh so i did my own springs but i dont know tha names of everything

i took some pics would someone edit them and let me know what all i have to remove and take out =]

kinda like make our own lil DIY

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've also found there is less struggle if you remove the tie rod end too. in addition too the ball joint but the fork bolt doesnt need removed you just have to "gently pull and push" the old axle out then the new one in through the fork, and I am a manager at a auto parts store in Vancouver, WA and at my store axles are 49.99 BRAND NEW not refurbs.
So you dont have to take in your old axle and they put ABS rings on all axles ABS or not, so thats not an issue. It saves them headache with numbering ABS and not. Anyway do it yourself its cheaper and more satisfying. Check your axle seal also while youre there. Theyre only a couple of bucks too.

·
Registered
76 Posts
honestly gentlemen, and no disrespect to the professionals out there, but where I come from, there are a lot of "dodgy" type individuals with not too many IQ points that pass themselves off as mechanics, if you have enough wit and skill to put your computer together, or know how to follow instructions, you should be able to do these kinds of jobs.

With the Boots, I don't think getting the OEM honda ones are cost effective.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
kevin_C on Sep/19/07 said:
ugh i still need some kind of DIY =\

do u think i could use the clutch DIY in articles?

Those DIYs meltman and I wrote are it that is all to it seriously .

I just looked in the clutch article and its steps 12, 13, all of 14 and other stuff that might be helpful. Other then that its all common sense trust me you will figure it out.

Edit: what I just said but on the driver side axle you dont have to remove the intermediate shaft just pull the axle out of that.

·
Registered
297 Posts
i have same prob rite now
autozone
15 bucks for boot
instal yourself not too bad
however new axel there is only 70. and there not bad to put on.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I just put new boots on blondechick's teg yesterday. It was relatively pretty easy. I wish we could have done new axles but money's the only problem there...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.