Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
You are not going to get an exact number. To many factors go into wear and tear of the tranny. Thats like asking how many miles can I get out of my motor.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
How often do you change the tranny fluid?

What is going to be your method of horse power, NA or FI?

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
MrMoe on Feb/08/06 said:
How often do you change the tranny fluid?

he wants to know what the motor does at the flywheel before it sees the coupler.

I guess he's trying to sell the car or something and if you quote the hp before the tranny it's less of a downer because the auto tranny just sucks the life out of a motor's performance like a vampire.

LOL

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
i think he's asking about how much power the automatic tranmission can handle.

Which is a guess also.

Your clutchpacks are what wears inside the automatic transmission, when they disengage and engage during shifts. The more of full throttle and harddownshifts it experiences, it's gonna start slipping sooner.

If you want a number like how a lot of clutch manufactures have a rating, it doen't exist. I've read on here someone blew their automatic tranmission one day after they got a turbo kit.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The reason for my question is because I have an automatic and I'm not exactly brave enough to swap to a stick.

In a way I baby my car. It has 60k miles on it and I want it to last. I don't want to mess it up, but on the other hand it's a car and I won't last forever and it's slow as poop.

So I was wondering how much power can I put into my tranny without too much stress? I was thinking Headers/Nos, but I've read to many bad things about powering up auto tegs.

I've priced out parts and it's well over $3000 not including labor. I don't want to buy certain parts twice so I figured (if I did) just buy performance clutch, flywheel etc. instead of the stock ones. Now I have read on some threads that people have been doing it for like $1100-ish, but I don't know how.

Plus I've been told that the swap totals your car and it now has no value. Almost like a man sex change, you still don't want the woman, even with their new high performance changes... and all that cutting and welding.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
i think what you want to hear is "people have said around 200hp. any more and it starts to wear out very rapidly." of course there are many other factors like mentioned above, but that is probably the ballpark you were looking for.

·
Registered
309 Posts
MichaelDelaney on Feb/08/06 said:
Quote: MrMoe on Feb/08/06 How often do you change the tranny fluid?

he wants to know what the motor does at the flywheel before it sees the coupler.

I guess he's trying to sell the car or something and if you quote the hp before the tranny it's less of a downer because the auto tranny just sucks the life out of a motor's performance like a vampire.

LOL
she could suck the life out of me any time.

Another thing you could look into is an aftermarket converter, which is able to handle more Hp than stock. But as mentioned before there are too many variables as to how much HP any engine can make whether it be auto or stick.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
if you've been paying attention to the b18b threads on here, 200 bhp or 170 whp isn't exactly all that easy to do NA for a b18b.

if you use nitrous or FI, it's a different ballgame.

but for what you have, you're nowhere near the limit with your set up Mike. if a stock auto LS averages around 100 whp, you'll be lucky to break 115 whp on a good day.

[url="http://www.team-integra.net/sections/members/profileCar.asp?id=60561" said:
deus_heart's 1994 LS 2 dr profile[/url]]

-Tanabe Hyper Medallion Cat Back Exhaust
-Bomz Intake (ebay)

you have lots of room to improve before you hit the limit.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
if you look at the JDM VTEC SiR/SiR-G automatic (basically is our GSR but at a higher 10,6 CR) which uses essentially the same tranny as your LS, it can handle 170 ps @ 7200 rpm and 17.8 kg m @ 6000 rpm of tq or 168 bhp (143 whp) @ 7200 rpm and 129 lb ft tq @ 6000 rpm at the flywheel.

So we know Honda thinks the most reliable maximum for this tranny is around that number.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.