Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a integra GSR, and is considering the following years. 96-99. What one is better. and dont say the 99 just because its newer. I know htey are basically the same car, but did any of the years have any problems;recalls or anything like that? I would appreciate any help. Thanks, Ryan

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
First off.. you are going to be very surprised on how tough it is to find a used GSR... you arent going to have this massive selection of years and colors to choose from.....

Second... obviously less miles is better, so newer would be better......

Third.. google is a great resource for finding info like this.. for example

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
not any recalls i recall(hehe), the 96 you will have the bar that goes across the mouth of the front bumper, the 97 and up do not have this bar, the 96 and down also have different headlights(smaller or something like that) and have a different bumper in general.

EDIT: MI THUGS!

·
Registered
156 Posts
94-97 obd1= better
98-01 looks= better/ can be modified to obd1
94-97 w/ 98-01 front end/ rear bumper=

however, like it was stated before, mileage is gonna be a problem on the 94-97's whereas 98-01's will generally have a lot less miles.

·
Registered
897 Posts
TheRoxorcist on Sep/03/02 said:
94-97 obd1= better
98-01 looks= better/ can be modified to obd1
94-97 w/ 98-01 front end/ rear bumper=

however, like it was stated before, mileage is gonna be a problem on the 94-97's whereas 98-01's will generally have a lot less miles.
u mean, 94-95 obd1= better

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
read consumer reports too, bc some years got 5/5 for everything, but i think all 97 integras got a 4/5 for electrical, which isn't a big deal, but it isn't perfect either.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The headlight change came in 98, I know cause mine is a 97 and has the same headlights as 94-97. The 98 GSR's have a different ecu in them I believe that has some kinda problem that reduces your power, not real sure about it tho, my friends told me about it when I was looking for a teg, so I avoided the 98's.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Please cutout that obd stuff...it's not proven, and until it is you're just giving out false info...

Now back on topic...the 98+ look better IMO, not putting down 94-97 though, they're great looking as well. ChaseKB and me had our cars sitting side by side where he works and the differences were pretty significant. See which one you like better.

As far as reliability, it's a Honda so 1 + 1 = 2....

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Yeah, I still don't beleave the whole OBDI vs OBDII stuff. So I wouldn't buy a car based on that, since no one has proved anything about it.

Like everyone said, the 94 - 96 had a different bodystyle. Some like it better, some like it worse. It all comes down to opinion.

I would go for millage over the year. They are all well built car, and little was changed over the years. I would pay closest attention to how the car was treated. It is a honda, and integras specificly have a reputation for taking a beating and keep on going, but you want a car that has been babied so it will last long and be trouble free.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
428 Posts
can someone explain what hasnt been proven?

does that mean i can run a test pipe on my obdII?

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
i've heard the I vs II debate in all 3+ years i have been into the scene, i have yet to see proven, dyno evidence in a magazine or something

not saying my observations are "it", but i am just speaking from what i have seen

btw Pollux.. "on Board Diagnostics" computer we are talking

·
Registered
681 Posts
Ghostgsr on Sep/03/02 said:
The headlight change came in 98, I know cause mine is a 97 and has the same headlights as 94-97. The 98 GSR's have a different ecu in them I believe that has some kinda problem that reduces your power, not real sure about it tho, my friends told me about it when I was looking for a teg, so I avoided the 98's.
can someone verify this. Cuz i just a pretty 98 gsr and i dont want a year that will lag a bit behind the rest

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
aznleaper16 on Sep/03/02 said:
can someone verify this. Cuz i just a pretty 98 gsr and i dont want a year that will lag a bit behind the rest
I think we already did buddy, you aren't going to lag behind anything...

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
concerning the obd debate...obd1 would be easier to chip than obd2. something to consider if you will do serious engine work. but if you are not going to chip ur ecu, such as a hondata one, obd versions don't make a difference. in short if all you are doing is i/h/e then DoN'T WORRY about obd versions. also the '00+ have a newer version of the obd...something like 2b. and some parts such as exhaust systems from 94-99 don't fit 00+. i think it's the placement of the cat, i'm not sure. the headers might have to do with it also. i notice this in surfing for parts for my 96 gsr.

btw, i bought mine on 7/4: 96 gsr coupe, 55,113(at time of purchase), red for $11,998(before fees/tax). it was from a dealership. a good deal you think? i love this car. right now it's at 58,900 mi.

·
Registered
910 Posts
actually there was a recall, on the 97 models. i dont know about any others, but i just know about the 97s cuz mine was one of them. something about the ecu...anyway, i got a new ecu and a free tune-up when my car hits 75k miles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts