Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it finally happened, I got a speeding ticket. The cop wrote me down for 95 in a 45. I didn't even realize that I was going that fast, it was a wide open highway. My question though is what should I do? If I take it to court should I try and fight it? He caught me where the speed reduces from 55 to 45, maybe I could say I was doing 95 in a 55? I've heard some people talk about hiring some random lawyer to take care of the ticket. I need to try and keep the points off of my DL. Will my insurance be notified? Any help or input is appreciated.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In TX I think you can only do defensive driving if you are under 25mph over.

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
different states do it differently. I say go to court say u didnt realize what speed you were going, and that the speed limit had dropped. U can ask for community service or they will put you in a drivers class. You MAY get it off becuz its your first. It sreally up to the judge, and def fight it dont just pay it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone have any experience with just hiring a lawyer?

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Doubling the speed limit could be considered wreckless driving. You are lucky he didn't take your license from you on the spot. Especially in Texas. I got a $360 speeding ticket for going 55 in a 45 and it wasn't even a school zone or anything.

You could try and enter a plea in abeyance, but 95 in a 45 is pretty bad. A plea in abeyance would keep it off your record for 3 months, providing that you don't get any other tickets durring that time. You would still have to pay the fine and possibly some court fees. A 95 in a 45 is going to be a huge fine. Brace yourself.

Your other option is to plead 'Not Guilty' and hope that the cop doesn't show up. If he doesn't show then it will be thrown out. on a 95 in a 45 you can bet that he would show up though. If it was a pety little fine then he'd probably blow it off. He'd want to be there for that one. He might be a real pig and the judge would reduce it because he knows the cop is a pig. You have your options.

The safe bet is the plea in abeyance. Your insurance will skyrocket if that ticket hits your record. You need to do whatever you can to keep it off. Brace yourself for a huge fine. Texas is not kind to speeders. I lived in Dallas for many years. I'm pretty familiar with Texas justice.

PS Hiring a lawyer will be expensive, but it might work. In the future I suggest you look into pre-paid legal. I've had it for about 6 years now and it has saved my butt more than I can count. I've saved thousands of dollars in fines because of them. Check them out for the future. They would provide you a lawyer in a case like this if you had them. www.prepaidlegal.com

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Jngrbrdman, I am pretty sure that he clocked me when I was in the 55mph zone. After he passed me he turned and followed me into the 45mph zone. After I turned off of the highway he followed me and turned on his lights. What exactly is a plea in abeyance? Is this basically like probation? From my understading of your post, if I do a plea in abeyance and I don't get a ticket in the next 3 months, the ticket gets dropped from my record? How steep of a fine are you talking about? I think the fine on the back of the ticket said 40-45 over was $250. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Right. Its very similar to probation. You just have to be very careful not to get any other tickets. They pull your driving record at the end of the 90 days to make sure you don't have any. Sometimes they require you to mail it in to them. Ask any officer of the court about the plea in abeyance. They should have more information on it. They may even have an officer of the court who can help cut a deal with you before you even go to court. Sometimes they'll reduce the fine for a first time offender and keep it off your record without the probation.

·
Registered
117 Posts
How in the hell were you going 95 in a 45 and not know it. I mean our tegs run smooth and dont sound pushed at high speeds but I know that at those speeds you can tell. Oh well. Either way it suchs dude that fine is going to be enormous absolutley enormous. Show up to court, wear a suit and kiss major ass. If this is your first time (aww a virgin, how sweet) you might get lucky and the judge will be cool. Or the cop won't show up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
ok so I'm going through this now. the only difference is it's my third ticket. first one going 93 in a 70. you are pretty lucky. from my experience the officer should have taken your DL right away. I would get a lawyer. ask him what he can do for you. if you have changed your tires...bigger wheels, tire size...over stock wheel set up, get you speedometer and all that recalibrated. if it's off you can claim that the car was changed and you didn't realize that changing the tires changes the speed. insurance will know eventually. hope that helps

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I knew I was speeding, I just didn't think that I was going 95, I would have guessed about 80. And I'm almost positive the state trooper clocked me when I was in the 55mph zone. Just so I don't sound like an idiot, how do you pronounce 'abeyance'? Can anyone get a plea in abeyance or are there restrictions?

·
Registered
634 Posts
95 in a 45 zone?? damn bro.. were you trying to race your shadow?? ... but honestly, good luck cuz it sounds like yer license is gonna be suspended for sure

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
uh-bay-ance

Anyone can get it. You are more likely for the judge to accept it if it is your first offence. Get a copy of your driving record to show him. That could help a bit. Call the number on your ticket and ask them about it. They will give you all the details. Its a little known plea in traffic court.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Due to the sun's angle, my shadow barely beat me! I just couldn't catch up to him!

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
I have alot of experience with tickets 6 and counting and I have fought and beat every single one of them. Heres what you do: Fight it for sure, never make a deal with the d.a. or whatever unless its really good, such as pay the fine no license points, this is just an intimidation tactic they use. If you dont get a good deal take it to the judge now you have a few options here. Heres some of the things Iv'e used 1) Tell him you are really sorry and you just werent paying attention never say I didnt think or remember going that fast thats lame,say you broke up with your girlfriend or something and your mind just wasnt on driving and you couldnt help it that your really sorry and itll never happen again and blah blah blah tell him what he wants to hear, it's your first ticket you might get off scott free2: You can lie and say you had to take a huge crap and you were too embarresed to tell the officer..(btw if you ever get pulled over again use this excuse they wont give you a ticket just say you have the squirts and either for him to let you go in the bushes or for him to follow you home and let you go and give you the ticket after you are done, this leaves him in an akward position because hes responsible for your safety if you get out of the car.. this is why cops freak out if you get out of your car, and he definatly wont follow you home so you'd most likely end up with a warning. But anyways say you had to crap cause you ate at taco bell or something suckers works every time. Some tips:

State your good driving record if he seems hesitant, if your in school tell him your in school and cant afford this ticket or the reprecussions it will have on your insurance tell him you get good grades etc. If you have no previous convictions or felonies or misdermeanors this would work well for you. Well theres my 2 cents. Knowledge is power my friend, use it.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Well, I've got four speeding tickets and I've beat 'em all too. My mother is also a lawyer. There's a lot to look at when you fight a ticket, but one of the most overwhelming statistics is that almost HALF the time, the defendant will win.
There are several books on the market that will help you build a case. I suggest buying one written by either a lawyer or a former officer. one easy way to tell if a book is good is to see if there are pre-printed court forms in the back for you to copy. I have a really good one if you want to ask the name but I can't remember it right now ([email protected]).
Going into the court room begging for the judge's mercy might work, but your much better off with a well-built case. Several most important factors is how did he get you. Did he use radar? Laser? The different modes of tagging a speeder all have their quirks, and you can use them in court to win. Also take into consideration road conditions at the time. How might have these effcted his equipment? Nearby radio antennae wreak havoc on radar waves. Take lots of pictures and draw several diagrams. They may not disprove him, but they make you look better.
The officer is your enemy. You have to make him look dumb, but don't be a smart ass. You need to sound as brilliant as possible. The more times you can get the officer to say 'I don't remember' or the like, the better. The less he remembers about your ticket, the more his credibility falls. Although considered a proffesional witness by the courts, he is by no means perfect and the judge knows this. Even if you ask him stupid questions about stuff he won't know, like how many other cars were on the road, this makes you look better especially if you can remember the details he can't. Another good way to take advantage of his memory fading is to ask for as many extensions as you can get on your court date. Here in California, I think you can have two seperate 2 month extensions. Another advantage to this is that it increases the chance of him not showing up. As all officers schedule their tickets on one day, requesting an extension would cause him to miss half a days work for one ticket,plus it gives you more time to fire-proof your case. Also, contact the DA's office (you'll need an 'Informal Discovery Request' form) and get the information the officer wrote on his ticket. Sometimes they write down notes, but most times they won't. All the better. If you need more help, just e-mail me. But if your going to fight it, do it right.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
speedracer i sent you an email i just hope you get it in time...

i have to go to court tommorrow for doing 89 in a 65 zone and i am still undecided if i should fight it or make a deal

i would really appreciate any help i can get

i will say the tickey *MAY* have been for the better it has caused me to be more careful and to not speed so carelessly

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
I just can't get over the fact that you were cited for 95 in a 45. The judge isn't likely to have a whole lot of mercy on you no matter what kind of record you have. If you are a young driver then he is going to teach you a lesson. If you are older (as in over 25) and still have a clean record, then he might be a little nicer. If you can get them to reduce the speed or anything like that then I'd take it in a heart beat. You are looking at a huge ass fine. 95 in a 45 would be like 140 in a 65. If it was a 45 zone then it was residential with kids and all that. Texas will throw the book at you. Beg for a deal from anyone you can get one for. The judge isn't going to want to hear excuses. Having your speedo off because of larger tires or something like that is your responiblity. Its not an acceptable excuse. I've got a legal assisting degree. I'm pretty familiar with what courts say to single guys under 25 with imports who double the speed limit in residential neighborhoods.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts