Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my car has been idling at low rpms lately, and my check engine light came on after installing a new ignition coil about a month and a half ago, now i tested and got code 7 Throttle Angle, as the problem. srry but iam confused on what this is and how to fix the problem.
My check light was never lit until i changed the ignition coil.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had a similar problem in the past and my idled very low with the check engine lite on.

After some time though the light went out. And the idling returned to normal. This happened to me after i put a new radiator in my car.

·
Banned
1,961 Posts
Get your timing belt checked/done. I bet any money that when you changed the ignition coil (not sure if you did the distributor cap) timing slipped from then to now.

Full tuneup would be a smart idea.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i thought of that also and ( srry forgot to mention)got timin belt done a month ago .... i have never had problems with idle until recently. What does the Throttle Angle have to do with It ? Matter of fact what does it mean?

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
You don't clean it. Do you have a Helm manual? There is a test procedure. You need to test the harness connected to it to make sure that you are getting 5V between the outer two wires when the car is on.

Then you need to back-probe the connector so you can test it while it's plugged in and see that the middle wire is outputting the right voltages. To do this, try to get something (i used a bent cotter pin) into the back of the connector through the rubber that keeps the wire insulated. If you can get contact, get your multimeter and put the positive lead on the middle wire and the negative on the negative terminal of your battery. Now, with the ignition in the on position (car should not be running) at closed throttle it should output .5V and at WOT it should be close to 4V.

Honda recommends that you replace the TPS with the throttle body. I think that's a bit excessive and you can get a new TPS, but then you have to calibrate it. This is done just like you would adjust your timing by rotating the distributor, except instead of looking for correct timing with a timing light, you would be looking for the correct voltage output.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thrasher865 on Sep/24/07 said:
Do you have a Helm manual?
No i dont.... is there a DIY here....i have hanes and i dont seem to find that test procedure...Wow my car never turned off on me but today it happened twice and i was going about 40...
I also noticed today that i have smoke seeping through the mid-section of my headers how serious is that..

·
Registered
35,673 Posts
Thrasher865 on Sep/24/07 said:
It's your Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). It's on your throttle body opposite of the throttle assembly jigger. (that's the technical name for it in the service manual, TAJ)

Bingo.

Check for damage to the connectors and wiring. Make sure the sensor isn't extremely dirty. Replace it if everything looks okay.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Here you go.

If you don't have a test harness, as I don't, then test the voltage between the middle wire with the clip plugged in, and the neg battery terminal. This is for the step indicating .5V at closed throttle and 4V at open throttle.

The 4V is kinda incorrect. It's supposed to be 10% of the input voltage at closed throttle and 90% the input at open throttle, which would be about 4.5V, not 4V. Just somewhere in that range will get the job done, but you want to be as precise as possible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.