Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
No. When you call someone out for their lack of ability it is not being a, "hater". You made a call based on his/her intellectual retardation. Now if you were to affront a person based on a presumption, then you would be hatin'. Calling someone out for their inability to articulate or hold able skill is fine in a respectable person's book, if not then that's their refecltion of character

·
Registered
99 Posts
Language is a wonderful thing though, hpracing007. one word can have many open interpritations, just because dialect A would use it in that term doesn't necissarily mean it will be used accordingly in dialect B. It's relative.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
MichaelDelaney on Jan/25/06 said:
so if someone is incompetent and it is acknowledged that they are incompetent in their thinking, database, work ethic, and skill set, is it hating to grade them as an incompetent?

so if someone completed 70% of his work and it is agreed that he did indeed only do 70% of the required work, is it hating to grade (or pay or praise) him for only doing 70% of his work?

if you say yes, then the answer is yes

if you say no, then the answer is no

~P2P

·
Registered
35,673 Posts
Hate is a really strong word. I don't hate many people in the world, as I find that to be very un-Christian.

Haters are people who just think they're above everyone else. It's that simple.

Frankly, if someone is incompetent, I just let them make an ass of themselves. I'm not out to punish, get even with, or prove superiority over people. If someone wants to tarnish his/her own self-image by looking like an idiot, fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The way I see it is, "If the shoe fits then WEAR it." The truth is not hating in my book.....

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, the common thing that happens on this Integra forum is:

a person will post a BS misleading info tech post that is full of myths and then a more experienced member will come on and correct him (nicely) or show the illogic of the original mistake and then the BSer calls the more more experienced member a "hater".

They use the "take offense" or "race card" as a strategy to cover up for their mistake of incompetence. It distracts away or hijacks the thread so that people no longer see his mistake.

Instead of just owning up to the mistake maturely and acknowledging it, the play is to use the "umbrage card".

Is this acceptable?

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
I'll be the devil's advocate for a second...

If they post up a bunch of BS and we call them out, knowledgable people show how he's wrong...

and then a bunch of people go on for 2-3 pages saying the same thing, jumpin on the bandwagon as they say over at the other import websites haha

Then i guess he can say he's being hated on.

But how often does that happen on this site, for people to consider themselfs hated on so often?

Not very often...

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so we agree that as long as you are civil and not being malicious or doing it out of jealousy, then, correcting someone is NOT hating.

acting offended and then calling someone a hater because the person isn't mature enough to realize that it's ok to make mistakes since all human beings do it, is also unacceptable behaviour.

I'm glad we cleared that air.

Because I see that "hater" label being pulled too many times by adolescents on any forum and it's wrong.

now if the attack was malicious then OK but if the person is just correcting someone, then be an adult and own up man.

that's how you grow and become better: you learn from your mistakes by gaining the correct valid understanding as opposed to walking around making decisions and actions based on wrong understanding.

I'm killing this "you are a hater" BS before it starts here.

If you screw up on here, (including me..because I do get it wrong at times) , just own up to it and no-one will think any less of you here. That needs to be said in the open. We're all human.

if you pull the "hate card" out a lot the it becomes like crying wolf and when the real racist comes out at the moment of truth and you call them a hater and you are right, then no-one is going to believe you.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hpracing007 on Jan/25/06 said:
I'll be the devil's advocate for a second...

and then a bunch of people go on for 2-3 pages saying the same thing, jumpin on the bandwagon as they say over at the other import websites haha

Then i guess he can say he's being hated on.

I agree with you.

I don't think shark feeding frenzies or vigilante mentalities or mob rule is correct either.

It is BS immature behaviour as well. Make the correction once. Don't rub it in. Don't add salt to the wound. That's being nasty and acting like an uncivilized savage. If the person acknowledges that they heard you the first time, then, drop it. They heard you and get it. Don't rub it in.

If the guy doesn't get it though, it can look like he's being hammered a lot when in fact, let's just face it, he doesn't understand and can never get it. You can try a couple of different ways to explain it or try analogies. You have to accept the fact though that some people can't see it, as well. It's a blind spot for them. There are some things that I will never get no matter how many ways you explain it or different methods you try by analogy. That's when it's time to just drop the topic and move on and ask the person to accept the fact of the correction without understanding. But this is very very very rare. Most people get the basics.

·
Registered
2000 Acura Integra GSR
2,880 Posts
MD, I don't understand your "racist" theory. Hating is one thing racism is another. I understand where you are coming from. I think it was you that said (and if it wasn't you than I appologize, but this is a good point) "If you can't take constructive critisim than you need thicker skin." Alot of posts state: "Tell me what you think" for some people thats open season on constuctive critisim. Everybody has different tastes and styles.

Missinformation is a whole nother ball game. The B16A2 thread the other day (the tread wasn't even about B16A2's but it was discussed so much that's all I remember about the thread)

once again I understand what you trying to do here, make this site a user freindly, knowledgabe, and make it stand out in the sea of automotive sites by bringing more to the table. Losing the common knowledge and focusing on more serious subject material.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Whew!

When I read the title I thought it was going to be another person posting all his gripes about life and us haters (and subsequently "leaving TI for good!"). Some people can't take it when they're wrong, and throw "temper tantrums" since they have no way of accepting it and no way to argue against it (because deep down they know they're wrong).

Then I saw the pictures and it just made my day =)

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Jack. That's exactly what I'm trying to do.

I see this hater thing go down on the other boards and forums...not just car related.

I was on a stock market forum where people were giving advice on certain methods of choosing stock using technical indicators and one person came on and was giving out really bad advice and all based on false misunderstandings of what the method was.

When the more experienced members tried to intervene and teach the person about what he had misunderstood and had gotten wrong, the person called them all haters. As if they weren't willing to accept his version of things. When in fact his understanding was indeed wrong!!!

That's when you get wickedness being spread in the world when people walk around believing false information to be truth. They base their actions on these false beliefs and we go backwards and not forwards.

Imagine if we didn't listen to Galileo and Copernicus who showed the Church that the Sun was the Center of our solar system and not the Earth. They were imprisoned or killed for telling the Truth. Imagine if we all walked around believing wrong info and used the "I am offended because you disrespect me" or "take umbrage" card to deflect attention away from looking at the Truth and throw you off the focus ?

There are times when disrespect should be called on. But let's make sure it used at the right time and not as a knee jerk reflex every time someone has an itch.

·
Registered
122 Posts
usually haters are little **** that talk **** ("hate") but can't confront you about it, but have to talk behind your back or tell your friends and you have to hear about it. they are the low lifes of the earth. they are just jealous cuz they got the ****ty end of the stick and they need to say **** to make themselves feel better. ex if someone has a nice car, nah that car is a piece of **** or if a person is rich, " that ****er is gay...blah blah blah"...you get my point

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.