Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i heard that the f-max is very nice. it does well in the bottom end and high end. also i heard that greddy is the best but the low end sucks. i understand that i will have lag but i want (along with everyone else) a low lag turbo but i don't want to sacrifice the quality.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Greddy a bad low end? Really? Thats not what I hear....it's a smaller turbo so it will spool up a lot faster...which in turn equals, less turbo lag...

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
i have a Greddy 18G-- love it spool up begins at 3000 and you reach full boost at 4000 no matter what max boost is set at -- i run 7psi daily and 12-14 for fun occasionally--
easy bolt on n two days good instructions, good kit overall -- you dont need a massive turbo-- the greddy turbo compressor can push up to 30 psi-- stock internals on a gsr can only handle 14-15 max!!!
you are only using half of the turbos capability-- no need for abig Turbo on a 4banger----
if you run more than 7psi you need bigger injectors than they give, also need a fuel press reg, and high vol fuel pump (holley 190 or 255)
only prob i have is the manifold is so big its melted my dip stick so now i need a ceramic dip stick-- other kits wont do this which is good but greddy is better bc pipes are larger and allow more flow-- sacrifice a dip stick for better flow and faster spool up ---heck yeah!!!!

·
Registered
966 Posts
How 'bout HKS?

(I'm a supercharger guy, BTW, but I'm curious what HKS' reputation is--my little brother might get one for his Celica... when he gets his Celica.)

Oh, and what about DRAG kits?

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
semperfi18-- i ended up with a grand total of around 4000 but here is what i got if you want more details go to my profile---
greddy turbo, manifold piping and fmic, vortech fpr, Apexi vafc AND ACV-R boost controller (that alone is a thousand 300 for the VAFC and 500 for the boost controller-- waste of money but i like the way they look!! :) IC was 1000 not to mention RC injectors, fue pump etc, etc etc-------

AS far as HKS good stuff but WAY EXPENSIVE-----
AS far as DRAG --GREAT KIT comes with everything no need for extra spending on Injectors, FMU, intercooler-----

·
Registered
413 Posts
95gsrturbo...just out of curiosity why do you say the ACV-R was a waste of money? I am just beginning to look at boost controllers myself so if you can give me some of your experience with the ACV-R I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
dont get me wrong it works great-- actually right now considered the best on the market-- but for a lot cheaper you can do the same thing-- for example the ACVR has 2 boost settings each with a scramble setting that allows you to jump to a higher boost level at the puch of a button-- like the profec b
but for like $40 you could use a manual boost controller with a rpm set valve that would open to a higher setting at WOT or higher rpm--
the guy who tuned my car has it on his-- basically he pushes 7psi daily, but if hes running hard and revs to 7k the valve opens wider to allow him to push 15psi, he can make it rev dependant automatically ---
with any other boost controller you have to "puch the button"

My main thing is that my VAFC is not a good tuning tool bc it is rev dependant and has only one setting --vac
it doesnt know how to change the fuel curve to compensate for boost---

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
can any one give me a list of exactly what i need from stock to turbo. i am not ganna pull alot of psi but i still want to know what i need. i want to get the f-max turbo. let me know what you think about the f-max. i need to know all the things that people don't tell you when you are buying the turbo but need to buy afterwards?? if you could list prices along with the parts i would appreciate it!!

Thanks,
Rudy

·
Registered
413 Posts
Rudy..I dont know a whole lot about F-Max but I would assume that since it is a kit it will come with almost everything that you need. I have a Rev-Hard stage 2c kit and this is what it came with so you can use this list to check against what your F-Max kits comes with..

Rev Hard T3/T04E Turbo
Rev Hard Intercooler
Cast Iron Manifold
Deltagate Wastegate
Vortec Blow Off Valve
2.5" Aluminum Charge Pipe
2.5" Downpipe
2.25" Aluminzed Mandrel Bent Piping
Progressive Type Fuel Regulator
MSD Inline Fuel Pump
Purosil Hoses & Clamps
Steel Braided -3 Oil Line
Oil Return Line
High Pressure Fuel Line
High Pressure Silicon Hose
Neccessary Vacuum Tee's
Neccessary Vacuum Lines

The extra things you need would be guages, a pilar or bezel to hold the guages, some type of fuel/engine managenment ( I use a Apexi VAFC right now), and a larger diameter exhaust. Also make sure you have all you regular maintenance up to date..like good gaskets, new timing belt and water pump, valve adjustment if necessary..stuff like that.

Optional upgrades might be larger injectors, aftermarket ignition, electronic boost controller, Hondata or AEM EMS, upgraded wastegate, new oil pump, new radiator, aftermarket electric engine fans, etc. etc.

I'm sure if I missed something here someone will chime in and add to my list.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
things no one mentions are injectors, fuel pump upgrade a fuel pressure riser that works when boost comes on and a good management system like hondata, AEM, PMS etc.
also you will need vaccuum tees or a distribution block see diag below, a blow off valve, a oil return and run line HERES THE MOST IMPORTANT THING NO oNE TOLD ME ABOUT!!!!
You need a 1/8" bstp fitting-- it is the a 1/8" tee line that fits into your oil pressure sensor line fitting on the back of the block to the right of the oil filter, this is what you use to run your line to the turbo for oil-- go to Vortech's web site on their instruction manual for thier SC you can see a GOOD pic of this fitting and how to install it -- be careful-- over time that oil pressure sensor gets dry rotted and can easily break but is also easily repaired----

also heat wrap your dip stick---- learn from me i learned the hard way----

1 - 12 of 12 Posts