Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to working on cars but I figure now is the time to start learning about maintaining a car myself as opposed to taking my car into a dealer. I've been told that Integras (gen 3) should be tuned up at 90,000 miles. I'm just wondering, what exactly does a tune up include? Checking belts, timing, oil, fluids, brakes, etc? Also what tools are needed to perform a basic tune up? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I might as well tell you this before you get freaked on by tons of people. Go to the search textbox on the left and type in tune up or tune-up, you will find lots of info

The easiest parts of tune up that i did were:

- Change spark plugs and wires
- Change cap and rotor of distributor
- Check all fluids and top them up

and i think there is more like testing the belts and stuff but i dont know about that

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Tune-ups are easy, but consider this.

If you like to do most of the easier maintenance on your own car (like most of us) letting a professional do your yearly tune up is usually the only time a qualified mechanic has a chance to look over your car and spot any potential problems.

So I personally like to let a pro do it.
Although it's never a bad idea to learn.

So long story short, I don't know dude.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Typically the easiest stuff to do on your own is also the cheapest things to do for the mechanic. If you know what you are doing and love to work on your car its one thing but if you are new to the scene and only know the basics a lot of times its worth the extra $20 bucks to have a professional do it. Not to mention it will save you time. And like Speechless said its the only time a mechanic has a chance to look at your car (preventative maintanence)

·
Registered
527 Posts
browndog2408 on Feb/16/04 said:
Typically the easiest stuff to do on your own is also the cheapest things to do for the mechanic. If you know what you are doing and love to work on your car its one thing but if you are new to the scene and only know the basics a lot of times its worth the extra $20 bucks to have a professional do it. Not to mention it will save you time. And like Speechless said its the only time a mechanic has a chance to look at your car (preventative maintanence)

yeah the only time a mechanic can get commission off of telling you there is something wrong with your car and have you come back and replace something that doesnt need replacing..

i was a mechanic, i was an asshole.
do the "preventative maintenence" work yourself. it's easy.

dont trust shops unless you know someone that works there.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
loud_whispers on Feb/16/04 said:
Quote: browndog2408 on Feb/16/04Typically the easiest stuff to do on your own is also the cheapest things to do for the mechanic. If you know what you are doing and love to work on your car its one thing but if you are new to the scene and only know the basics a lot of times its worth the extra $20 bucks to have a professional do it. Not to mention it will save you time. And like Speechless said its the only time a mechanic has a chance to look at your car (preventative maintanence)

yeah the only time a mechanic can get commission off of telling you there is something wrong with your car and have you come back and replace something that doesnt need replacing..

See it's stuff like that give mechanics like you and I a bad name. So many people talk sh*t about us becuase they are being sold a product or serivce with out educating them why. At the same time doing oil changes all day isn't bring home the bacon for the wife and kids. While doing that oil change you do inspections. Hook up the battery tester, check the belts, and check the condition of fluids. If I find that brake fluid has rust in there and hasn't been changed probably since the car has been bought; I'm going to tell my customer why it looks like that. Not simple just, "Cuz it needs it."

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
loud_whispers on Feb/16/04 said:
Quote: browndog2408 on Feb/16/04Typically the easiest stuff to do on your own is also the cheapest things to do for the mechanic. If you know what you are doing and love to work on your car its one thing but if you are new to the scene and only know the basics a lot of times its worth the extra $20 bucks to have a professional do it. Not to mention it will save you time. And like Speechless said its the only time a mechanic has a chance to look at your car (preventative maintanence)

i could a agree with that!

granted... there are a lot of good/honest mechanics out there... who ACTUALLY care about their customers... for Me it's SOOO hard to find one that actaully cares... cuz there is even more bad mechanics that oNLY wanna make money.. i'm not trying to bad mouth anyone.... just speaking from experience...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I know my mechanic personally. My family has been going to him for years and his dad since before that. So honesty has never been a problem. Most the time he charges me less than usual since we have been going to him for so long. And as for getting commission off something that doesnt need fixed, yea that works for people who dont know anything but even if my mechanic wasnt honest i would know right away if he was b.s.ing me or not. I would do most of the work myself if i had the time. So again that is not a problem. Just depends on who you go to.

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
Anyway.

90k the timing belt/waterpump should be changed. All belts are changed at that time.

A basic tune-up includes

Plugs,Cap,Rotor,Inspect wires, fuel filter,change fluids.

You will find more info when you search =)

I do it myself and its cheap so I do it once a year.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yea actually I think Acura recommends that the timing belt/water pump should be changed at 60k. I believe they also did a coolant flush (didnt charge extra) for that. They *should*, at 60k (90k similar type of service, as Acura breaks it down into the "major" ones at 30,60,90, etc.) replace plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, flush brake fluid, tranny fluid, power steering (if applicable), oil change, fuel filter replacement, air filter (they actually cleaned out my AEM cai free with the Aem recharger kit that I have), and obviously change the oil, filter, and washer while their at it (many places neglect to do that last part). I would recommend that since they are looking at it, might as well ask them to check the underbody for any loose parts (for instance sometimes around 60k or so the heat shield near the cat coverter has been known to come loose and make a rattling noise), and I personally replaced my O2 sensors at 60k (though there wasnt anything wrong with them). And as mentioned I believe, they should also check the the condition of belts for any fray or wear or such, and the mechanic usually takes the vehicle for a test drive to test alignment and balance of the wheels (you'll notice a vibration in the steering wheel around highway speeds if your wheels are unbalanced). That's all I can think of off the top of my head for now. =O).

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Time to bring up an old post - YEAH!

My car is runnin a little rough, surging a little when I'm lightly touching the gas, and I can feel a slight missfire, rough idle, etc. My baby needs some help.

I'm thinking the problem is w/ a dirty fuel filter and perhaps dirty injectors (fo the rough idle) and with the distributer for the surging.

What you think? When I had the car checked out before the mechanic said he pulled the boot up and he said he swabbed it and it had gunk in it - he also told me if I cleaned it my car should idle better. I'm just wondering what the hell he pulled up and swabbed?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.