Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just washed my car at one of those car wash places, I didn't go through the drive through part, I went to the part that you deposit the quarters and spray your car. After I left and I was on my way home I was breaking around a turn and the breaks felt very light... I didn't think much of it but then when I came to a stop sign going down hill I almost couldn’t stop. I had the break pedal to the floor and it was barely grabbing. once I stopped I looked down the ABS light was on so I turned the car off for a few seconds and started it back up. After that the light went off as normal, the breaks returned to normal and the ABS is working.

I did have new springs installed four days ago... Could the shop have gotten air in the break lines? If so would it really take 4 days before something would happen? Or did I do something when I sprayed my car down?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it looks like its more than just wet rotors/pads. It’s been over 24 hours and when I drive my Integra the pedal is still very light and almost goes to the floor... Even if I push the break pedal as far as it will go, the breaks do not grip enough to kick in the ABS. I've checked the fluid and it’s at the upper level and nothing is leaking. In its current condition the car shouldn’t be driven so it gets checked out tomorrow... I guess I’ll see what news tomorrow brings.

My Integra is a 95 SE with 98,000 miles... is it common to start having problems such as this at 98,000 miles?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
If whoever installed your brakes took off your calipers and did not properly bleed the brake system, you could have air in your lines which would cause your brakes to do just as you're explaining.

·
Registered
40 Posts
my brakes started doing the same thing. at least i thought it was my brakes. but when i took it to get new tires the guy said that i had barely any tread left on all four of my tires. now i have new ones and my car seems to be stopping like normal..

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well $213 later I got my Integra back... it ended up being the master cylinder. But all is well again, at least this didn't burn that big of a whole in my pocket!

·
Registered
1 Posts
That same thing happend to my 94 integra about 6 months ago. I had 130,000 on it though. The brake pedal would slowly move down to the floor unless i pumped the brakes. i had to stop at a light on a downhill and i had to use the e brake to hold me from rolling out in the middle of the intersection. it cost me $400 to replace the master cylinder. But now the brakes feel like new

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
thespeedracer, where did you get your master cylinder, i got in an accident because my brakes didn't work, and i need a new cylinder, and your price seems low, i'd appreciate it if you tell me where you bought it.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
$400!?!?! Wow!

Just so you know, if you were to change the master cyl yourself, it probably would have cost you $75.00

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
roundle on Sep/10/02 said:
$400!?!?! Wow!

Just so you know, if you were to change the master cyl yourself, it probably would have cost you $75.00
If they have the right tools and also if they know how to do it....

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had a similar problem... It was a hot ass day 2 days ago and I was coming back from school when I stopped at a red light. I stopped but my breaks kept getting lighter and keeping it at the same position wouldn't stop me from moving, Almost like my break pads were disappearing into thin air. I had the AC and all fans cranked. Anyways I slapped it in park and turned off the AC and the brakes went back to normal. Very weird. I hope it doesn't decide to do this when I am on the highway or need to make a quick stop.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
hey dude i srry i just saw this today but my car did the same thing couple months ago master cylinder i wouldve told you that yesterday but all is well himm you got way way way more feedback for this same topic go figure but all is well cool

1 - 15 of 15 Posts