Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure people have covered this in some form or fashion, however, the searches I did didn't answer all my questions. So, here goes....

What method(s) of sound deadening do you recommend for the Teg? I'm not building a competition SPL or SQ car, but I DO want my sound system to sound better than if I just slapped some components into the car. In speaking with every audiophile, pretty much every one has told me that sound deadening will give me the biggest return on my investment out of everything I could possibly do. Tegs are noisy little creatures, too.

I realize that adding a sound system is going to add weight....there's no 2 ways about it. In order to get something, you have to give something up. I'm probably like the majority of you guys on here....I'm looking for that happy medium between my Teg's performance and some nice ICE. Sure, I know I'm going to add weight, but I don't want to add any more than I have to. The system I'm considering is not very substantial...one 10" sub and good components in the factory holes pushed by 2 amps. That's it. Nothing over the top. However, I have invested in some rather high-end components, so I want to be able to get the beneifit of them.

I just wanted to get you guys' opinions on different sound deadening approaches out there: Dynamat and the like, Sprays, etc. For one, which of these will give me the best results without adding too much weight? I keep hearing different figures on using Dynamat type deadener. I've heard doing the whole car only adds like 50 lbs. If that's true, I may go that route.

How are the sprays at sound deadening? Do they work very well? Do they add less weight and perform comparably with the mats?

Toss me some opinions, guys. I'd really appreciate it. Opinions from people with first-hand experience is always appreciated.

·
Registered
191 Posts
well when i first got my system iy rattle the outside pretty bad..... so i went to circuit city and got my whole car dynomated. i wouldnt recomend that for the kind of power ull be pushin, so u can do the door inserts that go behind the speakers, and maybe a few feet in the hatch to keep that quiet....when you put enough of it around in the car it also deadens road noise

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I have the weights of two unopened boxes of Dynamat. on the bathroom scale, Trunk Kit (19105) - 13.5 lbs. Xtreme Bulk Pack (10455) - 21 lbs.

If you want better sound deadening but would like to save weight, strip out all the honda stuff and replace it with xtreme. It's lighter and more effective. I took out the 5 most rear honda deadening sheets and saved 6lbs. The replacement extreme for those areas weighed 5.5lbs. I left the honda wheel well deading since it looked a lot like xtreme. I'll just cover on top of those since the wheel wells can use all the deadening they can get.

I've used cascade's spray deadener on a friend's computer. Waste of money. The computer I covered in Dynamat Super was better.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Just grab some FatMat it should serve you well and if you haven't bought the sub yet I couldn't recommend anything more the a Kicker L7 I have the 10 in my car and I love it I'm actually looking to get a ported box so if you'd be interested in buying a 10" L7 (online or locally) let me know and I'd sell you my l7's box for $30 +shipping...if space is an issue it is a small box (min recommended sealed enclosure size) I can get pics if needed for that but I have had round subs (still have a 10" Kicker Comp (sub & box $40+shipping) that I'm trying to sell) and I've had others in the past and nothing even touches my L7 and it's only getting a 1/4th of it's max rms (new amp on the way
as for amps the jl amps are very nice amps for the components and the xtant amp is a very nice amp for the sub.
Later,
Jared

·
Banned
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much FatMat am I looking at?

Also, for weight savings, are there any surfaces that I really shouldn't worry about matting? What surfaces should I mat? I figure a full layer around the hatch.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
well...for max sound deadening and less weight get your trunk and your doors then under the carpet fatmat has a product that acts like a cushion but also cuts out road noise through the floor get these done and then if it still rattles then add some more give us the specs of your system so that we can know about what you will be pushing but what I just listed will give you a good start.

·
Registered
594 Posts
i added a 1/8" porus rubberized matt below my carpet, and on my door panels. Because of the weight it stopped the door rattling, and because it was porus, it help kill the sound from my exhaust. Did the same for my truck.

Probably didnt add near as much weight as dynomat, but I can tell a difference on the highway. I also pulled dashy panels, and used adhesive spray, and put it on the back of them. This blocked a lot of the noise from the firewall area, as well as any rattles there were. I am happy, however I would like to get more to spray adhesively attach to the rear plastic panels, between the meatl and plastic.

I got the roll in a 50 foot rool by 6 feet from work, and have yet to come across anything like it at the store. I'll let ya'll know as soon as i find out the name of it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
well ok dedening weight isnt gunna be a problem for a daily driver, 20 lbs is hardly going to hold back the potential of your car....

but to each is own..

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Also that may help but I seriously doubt it performs anywhere close to the dynamat extreme or the fatmat extreme...if it was anywhere close there would be people marketing it for cheap.
Later,
Jared

1 - 9 of 9 Posts