What exhaust

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  MichaelDelaney 
#1 ·
Ok i am going cat back for my 1991 integra rs the choices are

Tanabe Super Racing Medalion

HKS Hiper Exhaust System

GReddy MX Cat Back Systems

Thermal Research & Development Cat Back Systems

I was wondering if anyone has experience with these or knows alot about them which ones is best? I would like to get the best.

#2 ·
Please refer to our articles section. There is a plethora of information there. If you still have a specific question after that feel free to post the question.

Also, you might want to try using the search box to your left......as this board is loaded w/ questions like this.

#3 ·
ok i searched found way too many results in which have the work exaust in them such as exhaust for sale or i have a new exhaust. And the article tells me how the exhaust works and what size is good. My question was what exhaust is good for my 1991 integra rs by brand.

#8 ·
Your exhuast choice should be based on what performance modifications you plan on making. Do you ever plan on going FI? Is not, stick with a catback system that is 2.25" ID & a cat that is 2.25" ID.

As for brands of exhaust, since you are in NJ too, you want something that will be a little better rust proof wise because of all the fu©king rock salt they use during the winter. IMO stay away from Greddy & Tanabe. Greedy tends to rust faster than most other exhausts. Stay away from Tanabe because there is a bottleneck in the cat flange.

I don't know about HKS or Airmass, but Thermal is good choice. Thermal, Skunk2, & 5Zigen are all good choices. None of the 3 mentioned above have that bottleneck in the cat flange. If you are worried about brand names, stick with one of the 3, if performance is the key go custom or if $$ is not an issue go Hytech.

#9 ·
Well im planning on getting headers 4-2-1 as well as an intake and my hp gain i am looking for is at least 140 or 150hp out of a b18a at 6000 rpm and another gaol is at least 131 or 141 lbs ft at 5000 but on another note is their tubing diameter and all that. But back to my question has anyone had exprience with any of these exhaust's? such as then rusting or what not.

#10 ·
"and what not" is not a question. try to be a little more precise. please don't ask about the sound here or I'll delete it personally. We figure you are intelligent enough to know that stainless steel doesn't rust which applies to the HKS, Greddy and Thermal. The Tanabe is a stainless steel core with aluminized steel outer coating. any more questions?

#11 ·
IntegraRsNj on Aug/22/02 said:
Well im planning on getting headers 3-2-1 as well as an intake and my hp gain i am looking for is at least 140 or 150hp out of a b18a at 6000 rpm and another gaol is at least 131 or 141 lbs ft at 5000 but on another note is their tubing diameter and all that. But back to my question has anyone had exprience with any of these exhaust's? such as then rusting or what not.
ok, now we're talking! You gave us your setup and what your peak whp goal and desired powerband location. Lets talk turkey.

From "the top":
intake: any old intake will do nicely provided that it utilizes a high flow filter. K & N is considered the best and for good reasons. They flow excellent, while also cleaning the air your engine will be sucking up. AEM is popular choice. Sizing, not brand name, is key. It just so happens that most of the brand names use the correct sizing to give you the best gains. CAI system will give almost identical gains as a SRI but w/ the addition of a pronounced "hump" in whp from 4,000-4,500.

Header: most headers will perform the same here also. You are correct in wanting a 4-2-1 design. DC, Greddy, Apex, Comptech all make good headers for your car, all have 2.0 collectors which what you want. PS, stay away from ceramic coated.

Cat: (which you didn't mention by the way) Many people just neglect upgrading their cat. The exhaust gases have to pass through it just like any other part of the exhaust system. So why neglect it? Carsound is a great brand. Contact Dave at smsp or IPS racing for a 2.25" application for you vehicle.

Exhaust: you'll want a straight thru muffler for best flow, 2.25" system should be adaquate for your power goals of 130-140 whp or lb. ft. of torque.

I wasn't trying to be a dick when I responded/locked your original post, but you really didn't give us much to work w/. once you specified your power goals, it was much easier to help you.

PS---> don't forget that cat

#12 ·
Michael Delaney on Aug/22/02 said:
.........please don't ask about the sound here or I'll delete it personally.
Mike,
I moved this from the buy/sell/trade forum to the performance forum. As I figured it (A) didn't belong there and (B) was far more performance tech related than what pit area (what sounds the best)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.