Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK here is a complete list my engine mods:

JDM GSR
- Golden Eagle "Godzilla" Sleeves (bored and honed to 84mm)
- JE (11.8:1 CR) Pistons
- Eagle Rods
- Balanced and Polished Crank
- PortFlow Valve Train
- Skunk 2 Stage 2 Cams
- Skunk 2 Cam Gears

- Brand New:
- Water Pump
- Oil Pump
- Bearings
- Seals
- Gaskets
- Timing Belt
- etc.

- Hodata Stage 2

- 440cc/mm injectors

So what do you think my rev limit should be? (keep in mind, this is my dayly driver, and I don't want to be pushing the limit. I want to know what I can safely set it at.) 9000? 9500?? I am going to be getting the Hondata tuned by a Hondata dealer, and obviously if it stops making power (and falls out of the power band) at like 8,800RPMs, I am not going to be reving it up to 9,500RPMs. But from what I understand, Skunk 2 Stage 2's make power pretty high into the RPMs. So, if it can make power up to 9,500RPMs, would that be ok? Can my engine handle that?? How high could it handle? Thanks for your help, I don't want to find out the hard way.

And as far as the exhaust. I really like the sounds of Thermal... nice deep tone, not to loud, not raspy. That is what I was going to get. But... I'm shooting for 200-225whp. And I should be going with an exhaust that has 2 3/8 to 2.5 inches. And Thermal is only 2.25" I don't want to be spending all this money and then shoot myself in the foot and limit myself by buying the wrong exhaust. So, what is the closest sounding exhaust to the Thermal that you can recommend with the larger diameter piping?? (Aslo, keep in mind... I don't want an exhaust that would be any louder than the Thermal)

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
the apexi world sport is 60mm and looks alot closer to stock than the thermal does, and it is also alot quieter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, but if I'm trying to go for N/A 200-225whp... don't you think that I need to go with a straight through design? I thought about the WS because I kind of would like to make this into a "Sleeper",but I thought that would be too restrictive.

·
Registered
550 Posts
those cams stop making power around 8 700 rpm. But you do want to shift higher then that so that you fall nice and high in the rpm band in your next shift. A good limiter is 9 400 or 9500. Shift at just over 9.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
PSUTEG it is very hard to go with a straight through exhaust and still have a quiet exhaust. id say your next best bet would be the greddy evo. it is a 60mm piping also and it is a straight through design. ive heard they are not that loud but i have never acutally heard them myself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hootb18:
Yeah, I know this... and I know that I am probably asking a lot by expecting that.

But yeah, I'll never find out if I don't ask, ya know.

Plus, I like the sound of the Thermal. I don't mind if it is going to be that loud (plus I like the tone, so I'm willing to put up with a little more volume). And the Thermal is a straight through design, isn't it? Does anyone know how the EVO compairs to the Thermal? Is is louder, quiter? Same tone?

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
It doesn't seam like you would want anything smaller than 2.5" with the power you are going to be making. If you can afford the cost, and the wait I would seriously look into getting an exhaust from hytech.

Another option would be get a quality 2.5" exhaust and replace its current muffler with a twin pass mufler. That would keep the noise level the noise level down and emit a nice deep tone.

Quote: Writen by SurferX The method used with this muffler to reduce noise is mainly absorption. The pulses have to travel through the muffler twice, which basically makes the muffler twice as long with twice the sound killing power. Also some acoustical tuning goes into making a muffler like this as well. With brass wind instruments, you change the note by selecting different length tubes for the air to travel. Longer tubes will give a deeper note while shorter tubes give a higher note. This type of muffler basically lengthens the tube, allowing sound waves to spread out and emit a deeper tone once exiting the system. The twin-pass design flows as well as a straight-through but will sound much quieter.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
the stainless kakimoto r has 2.75 in. OD , a huge can and 2 resonators. in fact, the second resonator may actually hurt performance but it's not loud is sized for your hp goal needs. you can choose the SMSP straight thru kit with a long aluminized steel resonator or the twin pass Hytech exhaust as well (2.5 in. OD is better than 60mm)...both are quiet and have big cans....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, thanks for you advice, guys.

Don't really know what I am going to end up doing yet though. Because, one I won't be able to afford those systems right away since I will be broke for a while after this engine swap. And two, once I have the money, I'm not going to want to wait another 6 months or year for the system (like it seems with the Hytech). Although I does sound like I would be happy with it.

Anyone can feel free to offer any other advice.
- about the Exhaust?
- about the Rev limit?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts