Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard it was better to turbo a gs or ls then a gsr. With the same turbo say a drag gen 3 on my gs and on a gsr which would be faster and more reliable? Also would it be more reliable to get a greedy turbo or to run low boost on a drag or rev-hard turbo? Also if you get a jrsc is there alot of things you can do to it after to make it faster like you can a turbo?

·
Registered
693 Posts
A LS/GS has lower compression so it's better suited for turbo. The GSR has a better head that flows better and VTEC ! They both can be as reliable...It's all on the quality of the install and keeping it properly tuned !The Greddy turbo is smaller than the Drag and Rev-Hard but it can make some very nice power and of course Greddy is SMOG legal ! Each kit can be an excellent source of power and has +'s and -'s that just about makes them all pretty equal. My choice...Rev-Hard !

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why do you like rev-hard better? And what would be faster a gsr or my gs with the same turbo and same install and everything?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What whould you guys do. I might turbo my gs, or buy a gsr and turbo or supercharge it later, or buy a salveged type R? I have no ideal what to do. All I know is I want to be fast, I dont care that much about hp its all abouit the speed. I would like to run mid 13's or lower some way. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
46 Posts
For a normal street car, a B18C1 is a great motor to turbocharge. The B18A/B does have lower compression, but the B18C1 is perfect for the street cars goals. Stout internals (on both motors), can handle upwards of 400hp (tuned and taken care of). The B18C1 has a far superior cylinder head than the B18B. The flow characteristics are far ahead, and the stronger valvetrain, combined with the "more" favorable r:s ratio of 1.58:1, and the oil suirters in the block...allow for a safer, higher redline. Power = torque x speed (RPM). This equation alone should tell you why the B18C1 makes more power. There is only one reason that people tell you that the B18B is better to turbocharge, and it is because they don't understand this equation: ((boost psi / 14.7) + 1) x motor compression = effective compression. When you understand that, a whole new world will open up before you.

As far as reliability, that is totally on YOU. You determine how reliable your car is. Neither motor is more reliable than the other, it is your decision.

As far as the GReddy kit is concerned for the DOHC...I have some issues with it. Now for the SOHC, my God I love that kit, it is excellent...but the DOHC...ehh. The problems are many, in my opinion. I don't think that your everyday Joe knows them either. First issue has to do with the "legality" of the kit. Ok, yeah...it is street legal. Know why? It does not come with a blow off valve, nor does it come with an intercooler. So, yes your car "should" be legal, if it oNLY has a GReddy kit on it, and no other upgrades. I think this is VERY misleading to most enthusiasts, but it is pure marketing genius. So the kit costs what? $2800, $2900? Then you need to buy a blow-off valve...$175. Then you need an intercooler...$800. See where we are going? We are already far more expensive than a DRAG or Rev Hard. So you go buy these parts, and you may as well crumble up your old "Legal" papers, and throw them away. The turbo itself, too, I am not much of a fan. I think that the T3/T04E that comes in the DRAG or RH kits is better matched to our motors.

Lastly...DO NOT buy a JRSC. I have never met a satisfied customer. Upgraded pully or not, I have never seen anyone happy with it. A friend of mine, who is another Honda Tech, HATES his. He has one on his LS, and he is yet to break into the 14's...!!! C'mon!!! I can do that NA. I'd rather spend that money on NOS...or just go NA.

By the way...what is your budget?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info MatT3T4. My budget is I can pretty much do one of the things I listed, well for now. So out of thoses I need to decide what to do. I have heard so many things and I always change my mind. You say your friend has a jrsc for his LS, I would not s/c my gs if i ever got a s/c I would get it for a type r or a gsr, but i understand what your trying to say. Also thats good to know about the greddy turbo, I always thought it was very reliable and legal. But I still have no clue what im gonna do, what would any of you do? Also does anyone know of any good cars for sell that are kinda fast (like supras or integras or other tight cars). Maybe for like around 15 or 16k

·
Registered
353 Posts
you could find a prelude sh...i don't know, i'm in the same situation as you. i already have my ls but i'm gonna get rid of it. i'll probably get a RSX or try to find a Supra.

·
Registered
22 Posts
MatT3T4 on Sep/27/02 said:
There is only one reason that people tell you that the B18B is better to turbocharge, and it is because they don't understand this equation: ((boost psi / 14.7) + 1) x motor compression = effective compression. When you understand that, a whole new world will open up before you.
Matt you are just overlooking one factor. The octane level is what ultimatly limits how much effective compression u can run. For the people that dont know what that means, it means a 9.2:1 comp. motor can run more boost then a 10:1 comp. motor and end up with the same effective compression and possibly make more power. but Ill leave that discussion the high vs. low compression post.

In all fairness the B18B can make some great power at a great price. It has a larger margin of error because of the lower compression and the price is what really lites me up about it. You can find a full long block for under 500$. When pushing a motor to its limits, I would much rather do it with something that is cheap.

NOW.. if you want to get the most hp and the fastest times possible out of a set up, the GSR is gonna get u there. Assuming you have all the other goods to go with it. Tires, suspension, DRIVING SKILLS! The GSR is gonna make more hp @ the same boost because of its ability to make power above 7k rpms. and as matt mentioned earlier, hp is just Torque X RPM / 5250.

If your goal is to just have a 13sec street car you can do it with either motor. IMO, the turbo set up is the most important factor, not the motor. I am not a fan of the greddy kit, its small turbo, lack of intercooler, and 2" downpipe all have "sh*tTY POWER" written on them.

want my opinion? Stick with what u got and do the turbo set up right, u will b happy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
from what i hear the reason they say the b18c1 is not a good motor for turbo is because of valve overlap. The exhaust valve stays open for a small amount of time wile the intake valve starts to open. this means some of your boost will be going down the drain. I am no expert on the matter, this is just what i hear. And I would definatly go with the drag kit unless your worried about the smog thing. I should be getting one myself in a couple of weeks.
Jake

1 - 11 of 11 Posts