Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car's shine and color is great due to my frequent waxing. The only thing is under certain light up close, I can see "swirls" all over (especially on the hood). What actually causes these swirls, and how can I prevent them? I read a few articles on how to remove them and have tried meguiars "color-x" with not very good swirl removing results (did bring out the color better though). I was thinking of going to a body shop and having them buffed out, but dont want to spend all that money if the swirls are just going to come back. Any info/advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
480 Posts
i think it could be from when you wash it and buff it,it could be the rag. Also...if you touch it whith something while it is dirty...like dust or dirt. It is scratch marks i think from something. Someone correct me if i am wrong. a professional detailing buffing job..with buffing compound and a good wax would help get rid of them. just lots of different stuff...

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Iv heard that its the air/wind that makes the marks as you drive. Waxing takes away ALOT of the swirls but still very little is left. I just washed my car with dishwashing liquid soup to take off all my wax so i can reapply some fresh new coats and i ended up with ALOT more swirls then ever before but they will be gone after i rewax my car again. try waxing the car in many thin layers. Get the good quality wax because there is a big differance.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I DETAIL CARS MAN. WAT IT IS, IS THE RAG UR USING. LIKE SAID ABOVE IS THERE IS DUST ETC IT WILL SCRATCH YOUR CLEAR COAT, THOSE MICRO FIBER CLOTHS DoNT WORK THEY MAKE IT WORSE. WAT YOU HAVE TO DO IS GET LIKE A T SHIRT OR SOME 100 PERCENT TERRY TOWELS AND WASH EM LIKE 4 OR 5 TIMES THEN USE EM oN YOUR CAR. THAT WAT THE FABRIC IS SOFTENED. TRUST ME IT MIGHT SOUND BOGUS 4-5 TIMES BUT THAT WILL HELP GET RID OF EM. IF YOU GOT ANY QUESTIoNS JUST PM ME. LATER
-JAY

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
jdmteg005 on Feb/28/04 said:
I DETAIL CARS MAN. WAT IT IS, IS THE RAG UR USING. LIKE SAID ABOVE IS THERE IS DUST ETC IT WILL SCRATCH YOUR CLEAR COAT, THOSE MICRO FIBER CLOTHS DoNT WORK THEY MAKE IT WORSE. WAT YOU HAVE TO DO IS GET LIKE A T SHIRT OR SOME 100 PERCENT TERRY TOWELS AND WASH EM LIKE 4 OR 5 TIMES THEN USE EM oN YOUR CAR. THAT WAT THE FABRIC IS SOFTENED. TRUST ME IT MIGHT SOUND BOGUS 4-5 TIMES BUT THAT WILL HELP GET RID OF EM. IF YOU GOT ANY QUESTIoNS JUST PM ME. LATER
-JAY
I beg to differ on that one. I've owned and opperated my own detailing business for over 7 years now. Not a car wash, but a mobile detailing business. I handle 20-30 cars per month on average. Its a part time business for me, but its still a business. I was a moderator and an administrator on Autopia.org for over 2 years. I've also moderated other detailing forums and I have never heard anyone say that microfiber scratched the paint. I am glad to say that people here know better than to use T-Shirts or bath towels. Microfiber towels are far more effective and safer as anyone (other than you, obviously) will tell you. I think if microfiber towels were swirling paint then I would definitely know about it. I've named every scratch and swirl on my car and I would know if I was doing something to create more of them. T-Shirts are meant to be worn and not meant to be used on your car.

As far as what causes swirls go, I think you guys have it pretty dead on. Most of it is improper washing and drying techniques. Using a bath towel and a sponge to wash and dry your car is a good way to get swirls. Bath towels are soft for your skin but they are pretty harsh on your paint. And sponges can trap dirt in them and redeposit it on your car while you are washing. Using dirty towels to dry or buff product off with is another good way of getting swirls. The wind also causes a lot of problems. Driving in a dust storm is certian to cause some slight swirls on different parts of your car.

one of my worst swirl causing mistakes was using the California Car Duster improperly. Its not a mop. You want to just dust the ends of the threads along the top of the car. I was just laying it down and dragging it all over my car. I had a dark green Mustang and I swirled the hell out of it. I lit that duster up like a torch and I haven't touched one since. Be careful with those.

The bottom line is that swirls are going to happen. If you use the proper tools and techniques then you can minimize them, but they will still happen. There are a number of ways to hide them including using glazes that are full of oils or using a swirl filling polish, but basically you just have to keep on top of them if you want that show car looking finish all the time. Everybody has swirls no matter what they say. Its not possible to keep a daily driver swirl free. If it was possible then I can guarantee you that I would be the one driving the swirl free car. I get swirls and so does everybody else.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
lol Its kind of obvious which ones I'm going to rail on, isn't it? lol It sucks being so predictable sometimes...

Part of doing my job is knowing which products to use. I don't use microfiber because its trendy. I use it because it works. If you ever get a detailing industry magazine then you will see that they praise the microfiber towels. only people who are still stuck in 1980 are using t-shirts to detail with. I didn't even know that professional shops would dare be caught using something like that with all we know about proper paint care these days... Using stuff like t-shirts is what causes swirls. Use the proper tool for the job.

·
Premium Member
25,245 Posts
My grandfather's car is swirl free Anthony...what do you have to say about that? It is swirl free. F-R-E-E. I would bet my life's savings on it, which isn't much, but I would bet it....

Swirl free.

OK, so he just bought the car yesterday and it's brand new....it's still swirl free.

·
Registered
300 Posts
im not talking bout the 100$ micro fibers towel im talking bout the ones you can get at walmart that have other sh*t in it. and for t shirts i find that using them for waxing the car they really good.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
I'd love to see some 100 dollar microfiber towels. The kind I use are about 5 bucks apiece. I hardly call that expensive. What does a t-shirt cost? 10 bucks? more? Nah, I'll stick with my microfiber.

You know what's funny, Justin? We put on an Autopia sponsored car show last year and a guy with a brand new WRX STi showed up. The car had been in the country for less than 5 days and he already had one. Why he thought he would enter a brand new car in a car show and think he really had a chance is beyond me... I mean, it's supposed to be clean. lol Anyway, this car was washed the morning of the show and he used a bathtowel to dry it. That thing was so swirled it was insane. He was parked next to a car that was three years older than his and that one was actually better looking paint. The sad part is that the owner couldn't even see the swirls. All he could see was shiney blue paint.

By the way... custom dealer installed swirls are pretty common. That plastic they cover the cars with to protect them durring transport is a pain to remove. The adhesive is the hard part. You have to use a couple different chemicals to clean them off. The car is usually washed and polished before you get it. If its a good dealership with good detailers then its not a problem. Or it could come from a place like my local Honda dealership. They put a brand new 2004 Civic on the showroom floor after polishing it and it looked like total sh*t. Very customized dealership buffer burn all over the car. I can't believe they would put something like that under on the showroom floor under the lights and everything...

Justin, if your grandfather bought a car yesterday and it has no swirls then I want the name of the dealership so I can shake their hand and buy a car from them. That's quite a place. What kind of car did he get? That's pretty cool.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
jdmteg005 on Feb/28/04 said:
im not talking bout the 100$ micro fibers towel im talking bout the ones you can get at walmart that have other sh*t in it. and for t shirts i find that using them for waxing the car they really good.
Where the hell do you shop? Microfiber towels go for like 5 bucks on our sponsor, and they give NO swirls. I drive an Isle Green Pearl Integra and they leave absolutely no swirl marks.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
oldracer on Feb/28/04 said:
how good are those imitation chamois that you see in the stores. They feel pretty soft, but will they damage the finish?
Are you talking about drying? If you aren't going to use a waffle weave then the best drying tool I've found is The Absorber. The other drying towels on the shelf just spread the water around and never seem to do a very good job. The Absorber is safe on your finish as long as you keep it clean. You are drying a car that is already clean and you store it in a tube that doesn't let it get dirty. It has to be about the only thing I use that never really runs the risk of being used dirty. Unless you drop it or something then it stays pretty clean and very safe.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Anthony, I seem to be having a problem with the waffle weave towels. They absorb a bit of water, and then they leave bits of watter behind after that. I try wringing it out but nothing comes out. Can you dry your car with only one waffle weave? (the one's our sponsor had a special on not to long ago).

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
That probably has to do with the fact that it is pretty cold outside. Drying your car is a real pain when its cold out. I get the same problem. Its not the towel. Its the temperature. The rest of the year you won't have that problem, but in the winter its just harder to dry.

·
Registered
265 Posts
i get the same problem with the absorber, how many times do u have to go over the same spot to get all of the left over water, i usually go over it with a towel after the absorber but i catch myself using bath towels cuz i havent got around to purchasing a waffle weave. any help anthony??

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.