Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I own a 2000 GS and Im looking for something with more power. I wanted to trade it in for a GSR, but I saw I could get a salvaged Type R for around 18k. First of all what do you guys think about getting a salvaged car? I would get it looked over and checked before I bought it. I really like Type R's but then again who doesn't? So maybe I could get a Type R, but for the money I could turbo my GS. Also I looked at the timeslips and it seems like a Type R and a GSR can be pretty close in the 1/4 mile. So should I just get a cheaper GSR and have more money to hook it up. What do you guys think about these things? Either way I go I will have to keep the car awhile because of the cost.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
I would never get a salvaged car, but thats just my opinion. The fact that it's salvaged and still 18K baffles me...

I have a GSR and I love it....but I've never been in a TypeR so I can't compare...

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
18k for salvage? thats insane, even for a type R.

·
Registered
648 Posts
my car is salvage and they can be good cars for cheap if you find good deals but I wouldn't recommend gettin salvage cars because they are worth no money in a few years. As of right now my integra has barely any price value and it's a 96 wit less the 50k original miles on it. And 18k for a salvage car is insane, even for type R.

·
Registered
244 Posts
why not work on your car and make it faster? nothing more pleasing then working on your baby and watching the performance. for ~2800 you can get teh drag3kit from importparts
ive heard nothing but praises about it

·
Registered
398 Posts
Around my city most people race salvage cars cause they are cheap and easy to make deals on (buy a used 96 ls for 6500 or a salvage 94-5 gsr for 3k-4k)

·
Registered
212 Posts
You should find out, if possible, why the car is considered salvaged. Any flood damage, then forget about it. But a lot of times theft recovery cars are good. They usually strip the interior and dump the car. My friend bought a theft recovery, 98 LS, for like $6K...somewhere around there works great. If you do buy it, don't buy any comprehensive its not worth it because they won't give you much if it gets stolen or totaled. $18K seems high...like everyone else said

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Man that Type R would not be easier than getting a salvaged car. The one im mentioning is the ebay link above. So what if it's worth sh*t just never sell it and supe it up thats my take on it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
i paid 6g's for a 96 gsr black 2dr theft recovered and all it was missing was no radio, no pocket, no shifter console, no shift knob, no gsr spoiler, no emblems, and little stuff inside. my friends dad has a shop where he buys theft recovered cars fixes them and sells them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So what do you guys think is a better price for a salvaged Type R? So if i got the car checked out and its ok do you think its ok to buy? Also what about a Type R vs GSR how much faster do you think Type R's are? In the Articles it says all the 0-60 and 1/4 times of the 3rd gen integras, are those really true because I have heard alot of different times for these cars?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
i got a great deal on a theft recovered 96 GSR. i'll just put a few type R parts on it, and the usual I/H/E and i'll be happy.

·
Registered
523 Posts
If you are looking to sell the car later on then dont buy it. If you are looking for something to keep for a very long time then salvaged cars can be awesome

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Well from what i know that Type R is not all about speed. Its about Good handeling, Suspension, ability to menuver the car better then most cars out there. I might be wrong so someone correct me? i dont know that much about type R. Anywaize doesnt it cost 18k for a clean title Type R rite now? Cause once a car is consider salvage title its only worth 70% of its original value. Or somewhere around that percentage. Hey im not sure but i heard most of the other states dont have Salavge car titles is that true?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Ok first things first, all a salvaged car is that a car who has been hit and sold to an auction which is not bad, a clean title car can have a accident and get it fixed and it would still be a clean title So i hate it when people say salvaged cars are worse than clean title, its just plain ignorance to me

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you value your life ?? is the question. If I am gona race any car, I want to know exactly what I am in. I would much rather take a GS that I know has never seen anything crazy and build that. To build anything serious, you are going to have to replace the same components. pistons, turbo, etc...all the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I spank Type R's silly....all day long....don't get me wrong, for SCCA they are da bomb, but for street drag, bring it on baby....

·
Registered
176 Posts
DO NOT PURCHASE A SALVAGED TYPE R...because you never know what was replaced and what wasn't. just think about it. If your R got stolen or into an accident and you where fixing or replacing parts...theres a 90% chance your not going to replace it with OEM R parts. My friend purchased a salvaged R and found out that it was running a GSR ECU, felt weaker than GSRs, had now back seats. How do you know if the Motor is actually the original motor? VIN number..yeah, but what if the internals where damaged or stolen? What if the guy out in GSR internals cause it was cheaper? How do you know the R suspension system wasn't damaged or stolen? if all you care about is its 1/4 mile performance, then you should just look into purchasing a ls/gs for 6-9k and dropping in a R motor for about 5-6k. thats what I would do, actually thats what i'm doing. a year and a half ago I bought a salvaged 97gs for 7k (had everything except leather seats) and now i'm building a GS/VTEC out of it for roughly another 4k. thats roughly 11k for a car that can beat or keep up with a 25k type R. IMO i'ld only buy a salvage lower model car thats cheap and build it up to play with the big boys. If i was to buy an R, I'ld buy a used one from and old man or lady.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts