Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.tracktime.com/track1.asp

Did this program today, it was extremely exciting and a lot of fun.

The whole crew was great, everyone was really nice and excited about teaching and helping out, and I learned a lot. While I had the basic knowledge and understanding of driving the line, finding your apex, weight transfer, etc (mostly from skip barbers book), the class/instructor went over lots of the fundamentals of driving a stock car and I really did learn a lot.

After the hour and a half class, everyone had to do a street car drive to practice finding your reference points, entry, exit, and trading spaces. For safety reasons, if someone is coming up on you and are moving fast enough where they will catch up on the straight away, they flag you to pull to the first lane and ease off the throttle so the car can pass. Thus, trading spaces.

They allow you to drive your own car for the street run, so with out hesitation I grabbed my teg and pulled into the pit. While you were not supposed to go more than 70-75mph, for some reason it was a lot of fun to drive my car around MIS. Most of it was probably mental excitement

Finally they started getting people into the stock cars, and having them take off (no instructors in the cars). Six laps, then you go in for a pit stop to make sure you don't have any questions or concerns, then off for another six laps.

I ended up driving a Tarus Stock car, which even with the modifications to slow it down, was a beast. No speedometers in the cars, so I have no clue how fast I ended up going, but glancing in the rear view mirror and then looking back seamed to take up a good portion of the straight away. Suspension was set up where I didn't move the steering wheel more than 5 degree's to the left. The cars are also designed to pull to the left with out any steering input.

What was surprising to me, is that even most nascar drivers don't shift out of 4th (4spd tranny) gear. When you are leaving the pit, you get to 4th before you exit and stay in 4th while driving until you return to the pit.

Overall it was a lot of fun, a huge rush and anyone who can get the opportunity to go to one definitely should. I learned tons, its one thing to read about techniques in a book, and actually using them.

on the trip home, 80mph never felt so slow

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure how much it costs. one of the companys that my dad distributes for has had a "MIS Track Time" event every year for customers. This year he invited me to do it in his place =)

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I mentioned it a few times, for some reason I figured everyone had read the thread so i didn't say much more =)

·
Registered
880 Posts
dangs.. sounds like fun. I truthfully would like to learn more.. I want to actually attend a racing school or something when I master more of driving a stick =P

1 - 8 of 8 Posts