Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I get this weird grinding/biting noise whenever I shift to third gear. Other than that, the car runs just fine. I did just do a gear oil change in the tansmission. I used about 2.5 quarts of Slick 50 Gear Lube. Now I have this weird ass griding whenever I shift to third. It lasts about a 1/2 second. I found out that if I let the RPM's die and if I take time and go to third using two perfect 90 degree turns that there is no grinding. But that's unacceptable. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
This started happening after you switched to Slick 50?
Or it was always there?

I was always under the impression that Slick 50 was a pretty much snake oil company :\

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, thanks Ross. I gotta throw in some more information. I had somebody (Triola's) work on my car the last time the MT oil was changed. When they changed out the MT oil they had almost to the TOP. When I took the fill plug off oil shot out like nuts. They had a lot of too much oil in there. I'm guessing I should switch back to this? Maybe there is something wrong with the shift linkage? It shifts just fine from 4th to 3rd. But 2nd to 3rd seems to grind a tad.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Hmm, well overfilling the oil probably isn't good.. but I don't see why it would cause a problem with 2nd to 3rd specificly.

Usually that is syncro related, which could be a result of the slick50 MTL.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to switch back to honda MTF.
My speculation is, that maybe the Slick50 doesn't have the proper friction modifiers that honda trannies need, and since the 3rd gear syncro might be in slightly worse condition than the others it causes a slight grinding.

You could look under the car and see how your tranny mount and shift linkage bushings are doing. It is possible that the tranny is moving around to much resulting in shifting problems.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I checked the shift linkage. The smaller diameter bar is really tight, but the larger diameter bar seems to be a little looser. I guess rubber shift linkage bushings can be a player in this one. While I was driving today I had no problems. I'll let ya know after some more long, kinda hard drives thru the town.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Ross (or anybody that can help). I went out and did some long driving, maybe 30 minutes or so. The sucker grinds only after it seems to get hot. Also, whenever I start up the engine after it has been sitting out cold for a bit (maybe 5-6 hours) it squeals REAL loud whenever I move out of the parking spot. Any comments? I'm going to get some different MTL and change the MTL all over again. How does Mobile one sound? I'm starting to think that the Slick 50 can't take the heat and high revs.

·
Registered
608 Posts
id say dont really worry about that..ive heard so many stories of SI owners with taht same exact problem(they actually had a silent recall about those)my frends Si does this at high RPM's only but other than that its fine, and i dont really think its grinding because if u grinded 3rd that many times the gear would be out by now rite? but in my frends car, hes hit that "grind" sooo many times and the gear is ok..not sure wut to say but ive heard of this so many times and doesnt really cause much trouble

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't want grinding noises, they're not supposed to be there. I'm changing out the MTL today to some Mobile one. If not, then I'm going to change straight back to Honda MTL, doesn't inlinefour.com sell this?

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
I think I have the same loud squeel (as well as other integra owners I have talked too). It only happens when I am backing up, and use the brakes. Is it the same for you?

The fact that it only does it when its warm makes me suspect the fluid even more. Does the Slick50 MTL say what motor oil viscosity equivelent it is?

Mobil one would be a good choice. I beleave Gvtec uses Mobil one MT-90, which is a bit thicker than their MTL so it has alittle better heat protection. If its working good for him and his AutoX & JRSC fun, then its probably an excellent choice.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have the same little grind when I throw it into third at high rpms. I came to the conclusion that the 3rd gear synchro was shot and left it at that. I religiously change the tranny fluid with Honda MTF. one solution to this is to double clutch (clutch in, put in nuetral, clutch out, clutch in, put in third). Another thing that seems to work better and is a little quicker is to shift out of second tap it back towards fourth and then up into third. I do this now without even thinking when I shift at high rpms. Not exactly sure why it works but I'm thinking the 4th gear synchro's are doing some work before I put it in third.
But hopefully changing back to Honda or some other oil does the trick.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, I put in Synthetic Mobile one Gear oil. It's an SAE 75w-90. Well, I did some driving, some easy, some hard, and I have to say that everything seems to be the SAME. Also, when I was changing the MTL today I noticed a bolt hanging out by the header. It was a bolt holding the tranny to the engine!! WTF?!? Triola's screwed me big time. They did such a sloppy ass job. Needless to say, I screwed it back in, but I doubt it was to spec since I don't have a torque wrench. Also, 1st gear grinds like hell whenever I have the clutch in, and I am braking to a stop at about 20 mph. It just doesn't like it. I'm starting to think that I may have to invest in a rebuild or a new transmission, but I'm not about to give up yet. Tell me what yall think.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Yikes, so the tranny wasn't properly connected to the engine block?

Well that would no doubt cause problems. I would find out the spec, and get a torque wrench before you do anything else. I have herd that grinding can be caused by the tranny moving around.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ross, what else do you think may be causing this besides the tranny moving around? Old rubber bushings on the shift linkage?

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ross, any idea as to what a worn or damaged tranny mount may look like? I'm going out to inspect them right now.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HALLEJUHA!

I just got 6 quarts of Honda MTL, changed out the gear oil, and wallah! Like brand new! Damn! I'm impressed! 3rd AND 4th were shifting like nasty. Putting it into 1st below 30 mph was a ***** too! BUT, when I put this stuff in I let the tranny drip for a long time, maybe 30 mins. I also had it on an inclined driveway, with the car sideways, so as to *tilt* the tranny a little bit, maing sure everything drains out. I'm not sure as to the effectiveness of this, however. A lot of metal was in the old gear oil. Nasty sh*t all over. When I put the Honda MTL in, it didn't go immiedately into effect. It wasn't until later that night, after she had time to sit and cool down, I noticed she was doing better. But whenever I took her up to 8k, she would grind. ARRGHH!! She sat overnight, I got up and drove her into the ground. She performed FLAWLESSLY. Better than ever before. Feels so smooth....so fast....

CoNCLUSIoN: Honda is the best! Honda cars need Honda pieces and fluids or pieces and fluids with matching quality. For a Honda car there needs to be a Honda quality job, and Honda quality pieces. Honda....like a rock.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the exact same problem in my car except i've already bought a brand new 2000 ls tranny and even put in a act stage 3 racing clutch but my 3rd gear (only when shifting for 2nd to 3rd at over 5000rpm) has a slight grind to it...i got it installed at a local import shop and they tell me that its normal but i know they didnt use the honda mtl...so u think that would fix my problem as well...or is that grind normal for a race clutch...thanks for your help

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
Bring it back to them and have them change it with Honda MTF. If that does not fix the problem have them replace or rebuild the tranny.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm pretty new to racing but I bought a 2000 Type-R. Its nice and fast. Anyway when I go from 4th to 5th at high rpms it grinds like a real quick chirp. I was wondering what I should do. Please help... anything will do.

·
Registered
179 Posts
where can i get honda mtl at... my trans is doing the same thing... i got it changed the other day and i dont think they used some ****ty stuff... now its all wierd... my trans is having a harder time shifting... im going to change to honda mtl but need to get some and also going to flush the clutch fluid and then bleed it hopefully it will work... or ima need a new tranny or get it fixed..

·
Registered
118 Posts
The clutch and flywheel were replaced in my car about a week prior to me buying it, which was about a month ago, and everything was fine until about a week and a half ago the transmission started grinding in second and sometimes in third. I had the fluid drained and honda MTL put in and now its better, but it still grinds a little bit in second when its cold. Are my synchros just going bad, or did the crap fluid that was in there damage my transmission?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts