Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone. im new to this site, just bought a 98 gsr coupe. it's super clean and runs great. all except for a wierd idle issue. i recently had it in the shop and had the throttle body cleaned out due to a carbon build up inside that caused a rough idle. thought the problem was fixed, until i drove it later that night. when cold, it idles at 1500ish and when warm runs 750-800, as it should. but as i am driving down the road, and press the clutch in, the idle will drop down to 5-600 and seem like it may stall out and then quickly rises up to about 900. it only does this while i am moving. when i am stopped and rev it up a bit it drops to 1000 and then right to 750-800 perfect. i am just wondering if this is how the engine should run normally or if anyone knows the cause of this issue. any help is greatly appreciated.
thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
no one else can help on this. i went to the dealer today and they said its probably normal but it just doesnt feel normal. my old car did not do this, the rpm's just dropped to about 200 rpm over idle and then settled right on idle. i also looked at school on alldata and found a tsb that sounded similar to my problem. please give me some feedback on this issue
thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
help!!
i took it to the dealership and the service writer told me that it was probably normal for my car to be doing this and said it wasnt worth my money to have a tech look at it and tell me the same thing. i still dont think its normal. has anyone else noticed this in their tegs? please leave me some feedback
thanks

·
Registered
989 Posts
The first thing I would try is to reset your ecu... you have to take out the ecu fuse for 5-10 minutes and put it back in, start the car up, but *do not* press on the brake or give it gas or anything. After resetting the ecu, let the car run for at least 5 minutes and it should set the idle, hopefully correctly.

My car had a strange idle and it would get weird on me while driving. The end result of my problem was faulty spark plug/spark plug wires...

Another possibility is the pcv valve, which you can buy from any car parts store for about 2 bucks.
*To test your pcv valve, located on the valve cover I believe - mine is an ls. Simply take it off and shake it, if you hear a distinct *clicking* sound, its fine, but if it makes none or little noise, it probably needs to be replaced.

If the first doesn't work and your spark plugs/wires are fine, then you may want to try and clean the IACV or replace it.

These are all steps I took when my car had a similar problem, hope any of this helps :/

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i got on alldata from school. im in school for auto tech and we dont have a snap on scanner, got a mac one. i do work at a vw/acura dealership in my area but not in the shop, as a lot attendent currently. im gonna talk with some of the techs there and see what they think. let me know if you find any specs and tests for it decaren. thanks for the help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.